San Tung Chicken Wings Recipe
Lori Walker, MS, RD
What about making some delicious San Tung chicken wings for dinner tonight? If you haven’t had the chance to experience this amazing dish, then you are definitely missing out! This finger-licking good Chinese-style American appetizer is packed with flavor and just the right amount of spice.
Prep Time 10 minutes mins
Cook Time 30 minutes mins
Total Time 40 minutes mins
Calories 364 kcal
- 8 piece chicken wings with skin or without skin your choice
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 3 quarts vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce or crushed red pepper flakes if you like spice
- 1 piece small onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Fresh green chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup brown sugar or honey
- 2-3 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Salt
- ¼ tablespoon white pepper
- ¼ cup water
Start by washing the chicken wings, pat them dry using a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
Now add 2 cups of cornstarch to a bowl and mix it with 1/4 cup of water until the mixture is smooth. Add the chicken pieces inside and coat evenly with the batter.
Heat 3 quarts of oil in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 350-375F. Add the chicken wings into the hot oil and deep fry them for about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Once they’re done frying, remove them from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the excess oil.
To make the sauce, heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Add in the garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Now add all of the remaining ingredients for the sauce (chili garlic sauce, brown sugar/honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, and pepper to the pan.
Cook the sauce for 6-8 minutes until slightly thickened. Add in the chicken wings and toss to coat evenly with the sauce. Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed white rice or noodles of your choice.
- Make sure to use fresh chicken wings for the best taste.
- Marinate the chicken wings with salt, pepper and cornstarch for at least 30 minutes before deep frying them.
- Get the oil hot enough before you start deep frying the chicken wings as it ensures that they are nicely cooked inside out without burning.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan while deep frying the chicken wings as it will lower the temperature of the oil and make them soggy.
- For a more flavorful sauce, you can add some garlic to it before serving.
Keyword San Tung Chicken Wings Recipe