Last Updated on November 18, 2023
Cava falafel is a delicious and nutritious vegan meal that can be enjoyed as a main dish or side. This unique recipe combines flavorful falafels, roasted sweet potatoes, cucumber, tomatoes and other vegetables with hummus and tzatziki for a light yet satisfying meal.
The best part? It only takes about 30 minutes to make.
Read on to learn more about this delicious Mediterranean cava falafel recipe, including the ingredients and step-by-step instructions you need to make it at home.
Table of Contents
What is a cava falafel recipe?
Cava falafel is a delicious Mediterranean dish that combines chickpeas, fava beans, onion, garlic and cumin powder to create a flavorful and nutritious meal.
The ingredients are typically mixed together and then formed into patties or balls before being fried or baked. This recipe is inspired by the popular Cava Grill restaurant chain, which serves up delicious falafel bowls with all your favorite Mediterranean toppings.
The key to making a great cava falafel is to use dried chickpeas and fava beans for maximum flavor. Soak the beans overnight in water before draining them and adding them to the mixture.
Then add chopped onion, garlic, cumin powder and other spices of your choice for extra flavor. Finally, form the mixture into patties or balls and fry or bake until golden brown.
What does it taste like?
Cava falafel has a unique combination of flavours – the sweetness from the roasted sweet potatoes, the earthy flavour of the falafels, the freshness of cucumber and tomatoes, and the creamy texture of hummus and tzatziki. All these come together in one delicious meal.
How did I first get introduced to the cava falafel recipe?
I first encountered cava falafel at a Mediterranean Cava restaurant. I was immediately taken with the unique flavour combination and knew I had to try it for myself at home. After some research, I found that this dish is actually quite easy to make.
How to make a cava falafel recipe?
Making cava falafel is easy – just follow these step-by-step instructions for a delicious meal:
- 2 Trader Joe’s frozen falafels
- 1 cup Arugula or other greens
- 1/4 Sweet potato
- 2 tbsp Hummus
- 1/4 cup Brown rice, bonanza rice, or quinoa white rice
- 5 cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cucumber
- 2 tbsp Tzatziki
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil for sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp Dressing of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Paprika (optional)
- Pita crisps (optional)
Preheat your oven to 425 F.
Peel and cube the sweet potato. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. Spread evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through baking time.
While the potatoes are baking, assemble the other ingredients. Rinse the arugula and cucumber, slice tomatoes and assemble your grains if you’re using them.
After 15 minutes of baking, add the frozen falafels to the baking sheet with sweet potatoes. Bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Assemble the cava bowl. Start with the grains, then layer with the sweet potatoes, falafels and veggies. Top with hummus and tzatziki and a dressing of your choice.
Enjoy warm or let cool before storing in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
• If you want to make a cava falafel bowl even healthier, try swapping out grains for lettuce or quinoa.
• For added crunch, try adding pita crisps to your cava bowl.
• If you don’t have sweet potatoes on hand, regular potatoes can be substituted.
Cava Falafel Recipe
- a food processor
- a deep fryer or saucepan
- a bowl
- a spoon
- a plate or tray
- a slotted spoon
- 1/8 cucumber refreshing and crisp, providing a cool and hydrating element to the salad.
- 1 tablespoon of hummus creamy and savory, serving as a delightful dip and adding a rich and indulgent flavor.
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for sweet potatoes enhancing the natural sweetness and creating a crispy and caramelized exterior.
- 2 tablespoons of brown rice bonanza rice, or quinoa white rice, offering a hearty and nutritious grain component to the salad.
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes bursting with juicy sweetness and adding a vibrant pop of color.
- 1 tablespoon of tzatziki a creamy and tangy yogurt-based sauce that adds a refreshing and zesty flavor.
- 1 Trader Joe’s frozen falafel crispy and flavorful chickpea-based patties that add a delicious plant-based protein to the salad.
- Pita crisps optional, providing a delightful crunch and serving as a tasty accompaniment to the salad.
- 1/2 tablespoon of dressing of choice adding a burst of flavor and tying all the ingredients together.
- Salt and pepper to taste seasoning the salad and enhancing the overall taste.
- 1/8 sweet potato roasted to perfection with a drizzle of olive oil, adding a sweet and earthy element to the dish.
- 1/2 cup of arugula or other greens providing a peppery and refreshing base for the salad.
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika optional, sprinkled on top for a touch of smokiness and a hint of spice.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Peel and cube the sweet potato. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. Spread evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through baking time.
- While the potatoes are baking, assemble the other ingredients. Rinse the arugula and cucumber, slice tomatoes and assemble your grains if you’re using them.
- After 15 minutes of baking, add the frozen falafels to the baking sheet with sweet potatoes. Bake for another 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Assemble the cava bowl. Start with the grains, then layer with the sweet potatoes, falafels and veggies. Top with hummus and tzatziki and a dressing of your choice.
- Enjoy warm or let cool before storing in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Vitamin A: 1390.6IU
Vitamin C: 29.1mg
What to serve with a cava falafel recipe?
Cava falafel bowl can be served alongside various sides such as roasted vegetables, a simple salad or other Mediterranean dishes like baba ganoush or roasted eggplant.
How to store leftover cava falafel recipe?
You can store the leftover cava falafel bowl in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, just pop it into the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely enjoy a cava falafel bowl as long as all ingredients are properly cooked and stored safely.
Can I make the cava falafel bowl ahead of time?
Yes, you can make a few components of the cava falafel bowl ahead of time such as baking the sweet potatoes and making the dressing. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
What is falabels made of?
Falafels are typically made from a combination of ground chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley and spices. They are then formed into small balls or patties and deep-fried.
Can I use other greens instead of arugula?
Yes, you can use any green such as spinach, kale, romaine lettuce or mixed greens in place of the arugula.
Cava falafel bowl is a delicious, easy and healthy meal that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It’s packed with complex carbohydrates, protein, and veggies so you get a great mix of nutrition in one dish. Plus as it’s ready in less than 30 minutes which makes it perfect for busy weeknight dinners.
Give this recipe a try and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!