Last Updated on November 25, 2023
Primanti Brothers Coleslaw is a tangy and sweet recipe from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The recipe consists of shredded green cabbage, carrot, and onion mixed together with a tart apple cider vinegar-based dressing.
It is the perfect addition to sandwiches and burgers or as a side dish for any outdoor barbecue or picnic.
Its unique flavor has made it a favorite of locals and visitors alike. This article will discuss what Primanti Brothers Coleslaw is, the ingredients you need, step-by-step instructions on how to make it, tips for success, nutritional information, what to serve it with, and how to store any leftovers.
Table of Contents
What is Primanti Brothers Coleslaw?
Primanti Brothers Coleslaw is a Pittsburgh-style cole slaw made with shredded cabbage, vinegar and spices. Primanti Brothers founder Joe Primanti created this classic side dish recipe in the 1930s.
It features a unique combination of ingredients that make it stand out from other coleslaws — onions, apple cider vinegar and more – that makes it both tangy and flavorful.
Served atop sandwiches alongside fries, Primanti Brothers Coleslaw has become an iconic part of the region’s culinary culture.
What does it taste like?
Primanti Brothers Coleslaw is tart, sweet and tangy. The cabbage provides a crunchy texture, the onions give a subtle sweetness, and the apple cider vinegar dressing gives a tanginess that ties the flavours together.
How did I first get introduced to Primanti Brothers Coleslaw?
I first visited Primanti Bros. in Pittsburgh for a late-night snack and noticed the unique side dish. I was intrigued by its flavor, so I asked the server what it was. She said it was Primanti Brothers Coleslaw, and I had to try it.
It was love at first bite! The combination of ingredients in this classic recipe makes it stand out from the usual coleslaw. It’s become a favorite of mine ever since.
Now, let’s learn how to make it! We will share all the tips and tricks you need to know to make your own Primanti Brothers Coleslaw at home.
How to make Primanti Brothers Coleslaw?
Making Primanti Brothers Coleslaw is a simple process that requires only a few ingredients and a little time. Here are the steps you will need to follow to make this delicious dish:
- Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil is used in the coleslaw dressing to provide richness and a smooth texture. It adds a mild flavor and helps coat the shredded cabbage and sliced onions.
- Green Cabbage (Shredded): Shredded green cabbage is the main vegetable component of the coleslaw. It provides a crisp and crunchy texture, adding freshness and a slightly sweet flavor to the dish.
- Sugar: Sugar is a sweetening agent in the coleslaw dressing. It balances the tartness from the apple cider vinegar and enhances the overall flavor, creating a harmonious sweet-and-sour taste.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar adds a tangy and acidic component to the coleslaw dressing. It not only contributes to the overall flavor profile but also helps to tenderize the cabbage slightly.
- Onion (Thinly Sliced): Thinly sliced onion adds a pungent and savory flavor to the coleslaw. It contributes a bit of bite and complements the sweetness of the cabbage and dressing.
- Salt and Pepper (to Taste): Salt and pepper are essential seasonings that enhance the flavors of the coleslaw. They add a savory element and provide balance to the sweetness of the sugar and the acidity of the vinegar.
Step by step instructions
In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage and onion.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper until the sugar dissolves.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix well to combine.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
– If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar can be used instead.
– Make sure to shred the cabbage as finely as possible for best results.
– You can adjust this recipe’s sugar and oil to suit your taste.
Primanti Brothers Coleslaw Recipe
- Salt and pepper to taste, seasoning the slaw and enhancing the overall flavors, creating a harmonious balance.
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced, providing a pungent and slightly sharp flavor, adding a savory and aromatic note to the slaw.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage shredded, providing a crisp and refreshing texture, adding a vibrant and crunchy element to the slaw.
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar bringing a tangy and mildly sweet taste, adding a zesty and acidic kick to the dressing.
- 3 tablespoons of sugar creating a delicate and balanced sweetness, adding a touch of sweetness to the slaw.
- 1/2 carrot shredded, offering a sweet and slightly earthy taste, adding a pop of color and a hint of natural sweetness to the dish.
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil avoiding olive oil due to its strong flavor, providing a neutral base, allowing the other flavors to shine without overpowering them.
- Gently mix together the cabbage and onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate vessel, slowly whisk together apple cider vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper until the sugar is blended evenly.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine thoroughly.
- Allow the salad to refrigerate for at least two hours prior to serving..
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar can be used instead.
- Make sure to shred the cabbage as finely as possible for best results.
- You can adjust this recipe’s sugar and oil to suit your taste.
What to serve with Primanti Brothers Coleslaw?
The best thing about this coleslaw is that it pairs well with almost anything! It’s the perfect side dish for burgers, sandwiches, hotdogs, pulled pork and more. It also makes a great topping for tacos or burritos.
How to store leftover Primanti Brothers Coleslaw?
You can store leftover coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, as long as all ingredients used are fresh and not past their expiration date.
Can I make this coleslaw ahead of time?
Yes, you can make it up to 2 days ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I use light mayonnaise instead of oil?
Yes, you can substitute light mayonnaise for the oil if desired.
Thank you for reading! We hope you enjoyed learning about Primanti Brothers Coleslaw.
This coleslaw is a classic recipe that has been around for many years and is still popular today. It’s an easy, flavorful side dish that goes with almost any meal. With just a few simple ingredients and step-by-step instructions, you can make your own version of this delicious coleslaw in no time!
Please share your thoughts in the comment section below. Also, share this with your friends and family to let them know about this amazing dish.
Sharing is caring!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.