Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Captain George’s seafood casserole is an easy-to-make seafood dish that packs a flavor punch! It’s full of fresh shrimp, scallops, and lump crabmeat and is topped with a creamy Parmesan cheese sauce.
Serve it as an entree or side dish at your next dinner party to impress your guests! With the perfect blend of spices, this classic recipe is sure to be a hit.
You must want to try making this in your own kitchen. Here is the complete guide for this casserole. So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Captain George’s Seafood Casserole?
Captain George’s Seafood Casserole is a classic dish from the American seafood restaurant chain Captain George’s Seafood restaurant. It is made with fresh shrimp, scallops, and lump crabmeat.
The casserole is topped with a creamy sauce made from Parmesan cheese, heavy cream, chicken broth, and other spices. This dish is sure to tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more!
What does it taste like?
Captain George’s Seafood Casserole has a unique flavor that blends the sweetness of shrimp, scallops, and crabmeat with savory Parmesan cheese sauce.
The herbs give the casserole an added kick of flavor. This combination of flavors creates a creamy and flavorful casserole that is sure to impress.
How did I first get introduced to Captain George’s Seafood Casserole?
I was first introduced to Captain George’s Seafood Casserole when I visited the Captain George’s Seafood restaurant in my hometown. I had heard of the restaurant from my friends, and I was curious to try it out.
As soon as I stepped inside, the aroma of fresh seafood filled the air. I knew right away that this was going to be a great experience!
When it came time to order, I decided to try their signature dish – Captain George’s Seafood Casserole. When it arrived, I was immediately impressed by the presentation and color of the dish.
It was a beautiful mix of shrimp, scallops, crabmeat, and Parmesan cheese sauce – all topped with an array of herbs.
I was curious to try it out and dug in right away. The first bite revealed full of flavors that I had never experienced before. The shrimp and scallops had a sweet flavor that balanced out the richness of the Parmesan cheese sauce.
The herbs added an earthy layer of flavor, while the crabmeat provided a buttery, creamy texture. Altogether it was simply delicious!
Since then I have been a fan of this dish and order it every time I visit Captain George’s Seafood restaurant. It has become one of my favorite seafood dishes.
I decided to make this at home & my version of Captain George’s Seafood Casserole was as good as the original! Try this at home & you won’t be disappointed!
How to make Captain George’s Seafood Casserole?
Making Captain George’s Seafood Casserole is surprisingly easy. Gather the ingredients and follow these step-by-step instructions:
You May Also Like These Dinner Recipes:
- Costco Chicken Alfredo Copycat Recipe
- Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker Recipe
- Olive Garden Crispy Chicken Fritta Copycat Recipe
- Shrimp: This is the star of the dish and gives it its seafood flavor. The shrimp should be fresh, peeled, and deveined for best results.
- Scallops: Scallops provide a mild sweetness that balances out the other flavors in this casserole. Look for fresh scallops at your local grocery store or fish market.
- Crabmeat: Lump crabmeat gives the casserole a rich, buttery flavor that pairs nicely with all of the other ingredients.
- Butter: The butter adds richness and helps to thicken up the sauce.
- Flour: Flour thickens up the sauce and helps it bind together.
- Heavy Cream: This adds creaminess to the dish and helps bring out all of the flavors.
- Chicken Broth: Chicken broth adds flavor to the casserole without overpowering it.
- Parmesan Cheese: This is a classic seafood dish ingredient and gives the casserole a nice cheesy flavor.
- Scallions, Parsley, Basil, and Dill: These fresh herbs give the casserole an added boost of flavor and aroma.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: These add a bit of crunch to the casserole, providing texture and contrast.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper bring out all of the flavors in the dish.
Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Grease an 11×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and scallops to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cream, chicken broth, Parmesan cheese, scallions, parsley, basil, dill, and panko breadcrumbs. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
Add cooked shrimp and scallops to the baking dish. Pour cream mixture overtop and spread out evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle crabmeat on top of the casserole.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot with your favorite side dishes.
-If your casserole needs a little extra flavor, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika to the cream mixture.
-For more heat, you can substitute habanero peppers for the jalapeños in this recipe.
-For a healthier alternative, use low-fat or skim milk and replace the butter with olive oil.
-If you don’t have panko breadcrumbs on hand, feel free to substitute crushed crackers instead.
-Be sure to use fresh shrimp, scallops, and crabmeat for the best results.
-Fresh herbs are key in this recipe – don’t skip them!
Captain George’s Seafood Casserole Recipe
- 9×13 baking dish
- large saucepan
- 1 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. fresh sea scallops, cleaned and halved
- 1 lb. fresh lump crabmeat
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Grease an 11×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and scallops to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cream, chicken broth, Parmesan cheese, scallions, parsley, basil, dill, and panko breadcrumbs. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Add cooked shrimp and scallops to the baking dish. Pour cream mixture overtop and spread out evenly with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle crabmeat on top of the casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot with your favorite side dishes.
Per serving contains:
Calories: 450 kcal
What to serve with Captain George’s Seafood Casserole?
Captain George’s Seafood Casserole pairs incredibly well with a variety of side dishes. Some classic sides that would go great with this dish include:
Long-grain Rice: Long grain white rice is the perfect side to soak up all of the delicious sauce from the casserole. You can also try brown rice or wild rice for a healthier alternative.
Roasted Vegetables: Roasted vegetables are a great way to add color and nutrition to your meal. Try roasting carrots, asparagus, zucchini, or any other vegetable you have on hand for a flavorful side dish.
Salad: A crisp green salad is the perfect pairing for this casserole. Choose a light vinaigrette such as a balsamic or lemon-garlic dressing to keep the meal light and healthy.
Bread: Serve alongside a crusty loaf of bread or garlic toast for a filling meal. This will also help soak up any extra sauce that is left in the dish.
Fruit Salad: A fresh fruit salad is a great way to end this meal. Choose whatever fruits are in season and mix them together for a flavorful, nutritious side dish.
How to store leftover Captain George’s Seafood Casserole?
Here are some storage suggestions:
Refrigarator: Place leftover casserole in an airtight Refrigerator and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezer: You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. To do so, place the casserole in a freezer-safe container or bag and transfer it to the freezer.
How to Reheat the stored leftovers?
Microwave: Reheat individual servings of casserole in the microwave for 1containers refrigerator-2 minutes.
Oven: Place leftovers on a baking sheet and reheat in a 350° F (175° C) oven for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
Stovetop: Place leftovers in a saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, this dish is safe for pregnant women to eat as long as the ingredients are cooked thoroughly and all raw seafood is avoided. Be sure to use fresh, high-quality seafood that has been properly stored and handled. If you are unsure of the safety of the seafood you have purchased, it’s best to avoid eating it while pregnant.
Is this dish gluten-free?
Yes, this dish is naturally gluten-free. Just be sure to check the labels of all ingredients that you use to ensure they are gluten-free.
Can I make Captain George’s Seafood Casserole without shrimp?
Yes, you can certainly omit the shrimp if desired. However, shrimp does add a lot of flavor and texture to the dish that may be missed. Consider adding additional scallops, crabmeat, or other seafood such as clams or mussels instead.
Can I make this casserole in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the casserole up to 24 hours in advance. Simply assemble all of the ingredients and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake.
Is this dish healthy?
Yes, this casserole is relatively healthy as it is made with lean proteins and low-fat dairy. However, it does contain a fair amount of sodium, so be sure to watch your portion size if you are following a restrictive diet. You can also opt for healthier substitutions such as low-fat milk or olive oil instead of butter.
Can I make this dish vegetarian?
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version of this casserole by substituting the seafood with an equal amount of mushrooms or other vegetables. You can also add cooked beans or lentils for added protein and fiber. Be sure to adjust your seasonings accordingly when making these substitutions.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about Captain George’s Seafood Casserole. This dish is an excellent way to enjoy seafood in a comforting and flavorful manner.
With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a delicious meal that everyone will love. Be sure to follow the tips and storage suggestions above to ensure the best results.
Please share this article with your friends and family if you found it helpful.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.