Last Updated on August 19, 2023
If you are looking for a healthy & flavorful meal that is easy to make, look no further than this Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker. With a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can enjoy an incredibly tasty dish in no time!
This dish can easily be prepared in the slow cooker. Plus, it is perfect for any night of the week! Enjoy with your favorite accompaniments or customize it to suit your tastes.
In this article, we’ll give you a step-by-step tutorial on how to make Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker & every required detail regarding this dish. So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is a pioneer woman pinto beans slow cooker?
A pioneer woman pinto beans slow cooker is a dish prepared with pinto beans cooked in a slow cooker, created by the food writer Ree Drummond known as the “Pioneer Woman.”
This dish is packed with flavor, and the ingredients are simple yet delicious. The Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker comes together quickly and can be customized to suit your taste buds!
What does it taste like?
It has a savory and smoky flavor that comes from the bacon, ham, and spices.
The slow cooking helps bring out all of the flavors and makes it incredibly tender and delicious. It is also slightly spicy due to the jalapeño pepper but can be adjusted based on your preference.
How did I first get introduced to the pioneer woman pinto beans slow cooker?
I first heard about the Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker from a friend. She learned this from the pioneer woman website & had been making it for several years, and I was intrigued by the idea of a slow cooker meal that could be made in one pot! After reading the instructions, I decided to give it a try.
I gathered all of the ingredients and followed the instructions. After a few hours of slow cooking, I could smell the delicious aromas coming from my kitchen and knew that dinner was going to be amazing!
I served the dish with some crusty bread and it was an absolute hit! Everyone at the table raved about the flavors and asked for seconds. Since then, I’ve been making Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker regularly and it has become one of our family’s favorite meals.
How to make a pioneer woman pinto beans slow cooker?
Making the Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker is quite simple! All you need is the ingredients & follow these steps:
You May Also Like These Dinner Recipes:
- Four cheese pasta from the Cheesecake Factory
- Macaroni Grill Mac and Cheese Copycat Recipe
- Ina Garten Beef Chili Copycat Recipe
- Dried pinto beans: This is the base of your dish, providing a nutty flavor and hearty texture.
- Onion: Adds some sweetness to balance out the other flavors in the dish.
- Garlic: For a robust garlicky flavor.
- Jalapeño pepper: Gives the dish a bit of heat, but can be omitted if desired.
- Ground cumin: Enhances all the other flavors and adds depth to the dish.
- Chili powder: Gives a nice smoky flavor.
- Salt and pepper: For seasoning.
- Chicken or beef broth: Adds richness and flavor.
- Bacon, diced: Adds a nice salty, smoky flavor to the beans.
- Ham, diced: Also adds a nice salty, smoky flavor.
- Diced tomatoes: For a bit of acidity and freshness.
- Chopped cilantro: Adds a nice herbaceous flavor to the dish.
In a slow cooker, combine the pinto beans, onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour in the broth and stir to combine.
Add the bacon and ham and stir again. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours, until the beans are tender.
Once done, add in the diced tomatoes and cilantro and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve warm with your favorite accompaniments.
– Adding the diced tomatoes and cilantro at the end will help keep them from getting too soft.
– This dish can easily be customized to your tastes! Feel free to add extra spices, more or less jalapeño pepper, etc.
– If you prefer a thicker sauce, mix together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water and add it to the slow cooker during the last hour of cooking.
– For a vegan/vegetarian dish, simply omit the bacon and ham and replace the chicken or beef broth with vegetable broth. Also, try adding some cooked lentils for an extra boost of protein!
Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker
- Slow cooker
- large pot
- 1 lb dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 lb ham, diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a slow cooker, combine the pinto beans, onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour in the broth and stir to combine.
- Add the bacon and ham and stir again. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours, until the beans are tender.
- Once done, add in the diced tomatoes and cilantro and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve warm with your favorite accompaniments.
Calories: 300 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Protein: 20 g
Fat: 11 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 27 mg
Sodium: 950 mg
Potassium: 647 mg
Fiber: 8 g
Sugar: 3 g
Vitamin A: 545 IU
Vitamin C: 7.3 mg
Calcium: 61 mg
Iron : 4.6 mg
What to serve with pioneer woman pinto beans slow cooker?
Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow cooker goes well with a variety of accompaniments. Some great options include:
– Cornbread or biscuits
– Avocado slices
– Sour cream or Greek yogurt
– Shredded cheese
– Sliced green onions
– Hot sauce or salsa
– Fresh cilantro leaves
How to store leftover pioneer woman pinto beans slow cooker?
If there are any leftovers, let the dish cool completely and transfer to a sealed container. You can then store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
To reheat, just microwave until heated through or place it back in a slow cooker on low until warmed.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely enjoy a dish of Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker. However, it is important to note that some of the ingredients in this dish may pose a risk for pregnant individuals.
The bacon and ham used in the dish contain nitrates and nitrites which should be avoided or limited during pregnancy as high levels have been linked with an increased risk of birth defects.
Additionally, the jalapeño pepper is a spicy ingredient that could cause heartburn and indigestion during pregnancy. For these reasons, it is recommended that pregnant women limit their intake of this dish or opt for an alternative protein source such as cooked lentils or beans to reduce any risks associated with consuming bacon or ham
Is this healthy?
Yes, the Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans Slow Cooker is a healthy dish that is high in fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. It is also low in saturated fat and cholesterol making it a great choice for those looking to lead a healthier lifestyle.
Is this dish vegan/vegetarian-friendly?
Yes, this dish can be made vegan/vegetarian friendly by omitting the bacon and ham and replacing the chicken/beef broth with vegetable broth. You may also want to add some cooked lentils for an extra boost of protein.
Can I customize this dish to my taste?
Absolutely! Feel free to add extra spices, more or less jalapeño pepper, etc. based on your preference.
Is it good for kids?
Yes, this dish is a great option for kids! The flavors are mild enough and the ingredients are nutritious so it’s a win-win. Plus, you can customize the dish to their liking by omitting the jalapeño pepper or adding extra spices.
Can I make this without a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish without a slow cooker. To do so, simply follow the same steps outlined above but instead of placing everything into a slow cooker, place it in a large pot and simmer over low-medium heat for 1-2 hours or until the beans are tender.
Thank you for reading! We hope you enjoyed learning about the Pioneer Woman Pinto Beans in Slow Cooker and that you now feel confident in making this delicious and nutritious dish at home.
Remember to customize it to your tastes and serve it with some accompaniments for a complete meal.
I hope you find this article helpful. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!