Last Updated on February 24, 2024
Legendary chef Edward Delling Williams’ famous carrot cake is an easy and delicious dessert that comes together in just a few simple steps. This classic cake is perfect for any occasion, from potlucks to family dinners. The combination of spices, carrots, and cream cheese frosting makes this a favorite among all ages!
In this article, we’ll go over everything you need to know about Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake: what it tastes like, how to make it, and how to serve and store it. Plus, we’ll also provide some tips and tricks for the perfect carrot cake every time. So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake?
As mentioned above, Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. It features freshly grated carrots, spices, and a layer of cream cheese frosting to tie it all together in one delicious package.
The combination of sweetness from the carrots and cream cheese frosting, combined with the warm spices, makes it a favorite among all ages!
What does it taste like?
Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake is a moist and flavorful cake that has a perfect balance of sweetness and spices. The grated carrots give the cake an earthy flavor while the cream cheese frosting brings out all the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and other warm spices. It’s truly a delicious combination that will leave you wanting more!
How did I first get introduced to Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake?
My introduction to Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake came when my mother made it for the first time. Back then she visited one of Delling William’s restaurant & became a fan of this cake.
She started to recreate this recipe at home and I was pleased with the taste. Soon, it became a family favorite and every special occasion was marked by this delicious treat.
With time, I gained more experience in baking & now I’m able to make my own version of Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake. It’s definitely a recipe that will be passed down for generations!
How to make Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake?
Making Edward Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake is a simple and straightforward process that anyone can do. All you need are some basic ingredients & follow the step-by-step instructions below:
You May Also Like These Dessert Recipes:
- Pioneer Woman Pumpkin Spice Granola (Copycat Recipe)
- Halibut with Herbed Butter Copycat Recipe
- Herbalife Ice Cream Copycat Recipe
- All-purpose flour: This is the foundation for our cake.
- Baking powder: This helps give the cake a nice rise.
- Ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt: These spices bring out all of the flavor in this delicious dessert.
- Granulated sugar: Sugar will provide sweetness and act as a leavening agent to help the cake rise.
- Vegetable oil: Vegetable oil will help keep the cake moist and flavorful.
- Eggs: Eggs are important for binding the ingredients together and giving structure to the cake.
- Grated carrots: Carrots provide sweetness, moisture, and a lovely orange hue to our dessert. We will need 3 medium-sized carrots, grated.
- Chopped walnuts (optional): Walnuts are a delicious addition to carrot cake and give it an extra crunchy texture. You can add them to the batter, or use them for topping the cake.
For The Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream cheese: This will help make our frosting creamy and smooth. Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Unsalted butter: Butter will help make the frosting fluffy and give it an amazing flavor. Again, make sure your butter is at room temperature for best results.
- Powdered sugar: Powdered sugar gives our frosting its sweetness and helps to thicken it up.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds an extra layer of flavor to our frosting.
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
In another bowl, mix together the sugar and oil until well combined.
Add the eggs one at a time and mix until smooth. Combine wet & dry ingredients.
Gently stir in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts (if using).
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
To make the cream cheese frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Finally, stir in vanilla extract.
Spread the frosting & walnuts over the cooled cake.
– Use freshly grated carrots for the best flavor.
– If you want a more intense flavor, toast the walnuts before adding them to the batter.
– Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature before making the frosting.
– Serve slices of the cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Edward Delling Williams Carrot Cake Recipe
- 8” round baking pan
- Electric mixer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon (cinnamon powder)
- 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoons baking powder (It helps to reduce yeasty smell)
- 3/4 cups brown sugar or white granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the sugar and oil until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until smooth. Combine wet & dry ingredients.
- Gently stir in the grated carrots and chopped walnuts (if using).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Finally, stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread the frosting & walnuts over the cooled cake.
Calories: 342, Fat: 17g, Saturated fat: 4.3g, Trans fat: 0.1g, Cholesterol: 58mg, Sodium: 134mg, Carbohydrates: 45.4g, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 25.6g Protein 5.2 g
What to serve with Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake?
Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake is a delicious dessert that can be enjoyed all on its own. However, if you’re looking for something extra special to serve alongside it, try adding a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You can have it with tea or coffee as an evening snack. You could also top each slice with chopped walnuts or caramel sauce for an extra layer of flavor.
How to store leftover Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake?
Once the cake is cool, store it in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or 1 week in the refrigerator. If you would like to freeze the cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then foil before freezing. It should last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can eat this cake. However, due to the raw eggs contained in the, it is advised to seek medical advice before eating Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake. Also, pregnant women should ensure that the cake is cooked thoroughly before consumption.
Is Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake gluten-free?
No, this cake contains all-purpose flour which is not gluten-free. If you are looking for a gluten-free version, you can try substituting the all-purpose flour with almond or coconut flour.
Can I use candied or dried fruit instead of fresh carrots?
Yes, you can use candied or dried fruit instead of fresh carrots. However, the taste and texture will differ as the water content in dried fruits is lower than that found in fresh carrots.
Is it possible to make a vegan version of Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake?
Yes, it is possible to make a vegan version of Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake. To do this, you will need to substitute the eggs with a vegan egg alternative and use non-dairy milk instead of regular cow’s milk. Additionally, you can also swap out the cream cheese frosting for a vegan cream cheese alternative.
Delling Williams’ Carrot Cake is an easy-to-make and delicious dessert that everyone in the family can enjoy. It’s definitely a recipe that will be passed down for generations!
With its sweet, moist texture & fragrant spices, this cake will surely become your new favorite go-to treat. So why not give it a try today? We promise you won’t be disappointed.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article. Don’t forget to share this with your family & friends.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!