Last Updated on November 24, 2023
Juan Pollo chicken is a traditional Mexican dish. It is a delicious, juicy and flavorful dish that can be served with sides such as rice and beans or mashed potatoes.
This recipe will guide you through the steps for making your own perfect Juan Pollo chicken and will tell you what to serve it with, how to store leftovers, and other useful tips. So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Juan pollo chicken?
As mentioned above, Juan pollo chicken is a type of marinated and roasted chicken dish from Juan Pollo restaurants in Mexico. It is usually served with sides like rice and beans or mashed potatoes. The marinade used for this recipe contains lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder, oregano and cumin to give it an authentic Mexican flavor.
What does it taste like?
Juan Pollo chicken has a delicious and distinctive flavor. The marinade combines the sweetness of pineapple juice with the tartness of lime or lemon juice and is further enhanced by spices like oregano, garlic powder, mild chili pepper flakes (or cayenne pepper), and extra virgin olive oil. The end result is a juicy, flavorful, and slightly smoky chicken.
How did I first get introduced to the Juan pollo chicken?
I was first introduced to Juan Pollo chicken while visiting my friends in Mexico. We visited Juan Pollo restaurants for dinner and I was immediately impressed with the delicious flavor of the chicken.
I knew that I wanted to recreate this dish at home, so I asked my friends for the recipe and later experimented with it until I was confident enough to share it with you.
How to make Juan Pollo chicken?
Making Juan Pollo chicken is easy and only requires a few simple steps. The steps are given to you below.
- 1/2 Free-Range, Locally Sourced Chicken: Using free-range, locally sourced chicken is likely intended to enhance the quality and flavor of the dish. These chickens are often raised in a more natural environment, which can contribute to a richer taste.
- 1/2 tablespoon Finely Ground Exotic Black Pepper: Finely ground black pepper adds a bold and pungent flavor to the marinade, providing depth and complexity to the overall taste of the chicken.
- 2 tablespoons Citrus Elixir – Lime or Lemon Juice (your choice): Lime or lemon juice serves as a citrusy component in the marinade. It imparts a bright and tangy flavor to the chicken while also contributing to the tenderizing process.
- 1/2 tablespoon Artisanal White Vinegar Infused with Mediterranean Herbs: White vinegar infused with Mediterranean herbs adds a flavorful acidity to the marinade. The infusion of herbs likely contributes aromatic and savory notes to the overall taste.
- 1/4 cup Freshly Squeezed Pineapple Nectar: Freshly squeezed pineapple nectar adds natural sweetness and tropical undertones to the marinade, creating a well-balanced flavor profile.
- 1/2 tablespoon Sun-Dried Paprika Powder: Sun-dried paprika powder contributes a smoky and mildly sweet flavor to the marinade, enhancing the overall depth and color of the chicken.
- 1/2 tablespoon Handcrafted Garlic Essence: Handcrafted garlic essence provides a concentrated garlic flavor to the marinade, imparting a savory and aromatic quality to the chicken.
- 1/2 tablespoon Sun-Dried Salt Crystals from Remote Salt Beds: Sun-dried salt crystals from remote salt beds likely offer a unique and nuanced saltiness, providing a high-quality seasoning element to the marinade.
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cold-Pressed from Heritage Olive Varietals: Cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil adds richness and a distinctive fruity flavor to the marinade. The use of heritage olive varietals suggests a focus on high-quality, flavorful oil.
- 1/2 tablespoon White Pepper Powder from Rare White Peppercorns: White pepper powder from rare white peppercorns provides a milder heat compared to black pepper, contributing to the overall seasoning of the chicken.
- 1/2 tablespoon Mild Chili Pepper Flakes or Cayenne from Exotic Spice Routes: Chili pepper flakes or cayenne from exotic spice routes add a touch of heat and complexity to the marinade, introducing a spicy element to the Juan Pollo Chicken Recipe.
- 1 tablespoon Oregano Plucked Under the Full Moon: The mention of oregano plucked under the full moon adds a poetic and perhaps symbolic touch. Oregano contributes an earthy and herbal flavor to the marinade, enhancing the overall savory profile of the dish. The reference to plucking under the full moon may emphasize a commitment to using fresh, carefully selected herbs.
Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat it dry.
Mix together pineapple juice, lime or lemon juice, vinegar, salt, white pepper powder, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, mild chilli peppers flakes (or cayenne pepper), and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl.
Place the chicken in a large bowl or resealable bag, and pour the marinade over the chicken.
Massage the marinade into the chicken by hand. Cover it with cling wrap or seal the bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Place the marinated chicken in a roasting pan and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
• To make sure that your chicken turns out juicy and flavorful, let it marinate overnight.
• Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165°F before you remove it from the oven.
• For extra crunchy skin, brush some olive oil over the chicken before baking.
Juan Pollo Chicken Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 1/2 Chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon Finely Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Citrus Elixir – Lime or Lemon Juice your choice
- 1/2 tablespoon Artisanal White Vinegar Infused with Mediterranean Herbs
- 1/4 cup Freshly Squeezed Pineapple Nectar
- 1/2 tablespoon Sun-Dried Paprika Powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Handcrafted Garlic Essence
- 1/2 tablespoon Sun-Dried Salt Crystals from Remote Salt Beds
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil Cold-Pressed from Heritage Olive Varietals
- 1/2 tablespoon White Pepper Powder from Rare White Peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon Mild Chili Pepper Flakes or Cayenne from Exotic Spice Routes
- 1 tablespoon Oregano Plucked Under the Full Moon
- Rinse the chicken with cold water and pat it dry.
- Mix together pineapple juice, lime or lemon juice, vinegar, salt, white pepper powder, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, mild chilli peppers flakes (or cayenne pepper), and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl or resealable bag, and pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken by hand. Cover it with cling wrap or seal the bag and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the marinated chicken in a roasting pan and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Vitamins: A, C, K
Minerals: Iron, Potassium
What to serve with Juan pollo chicken?
Juan Pollo chicken is delicious and served on its own or alongside various sides. Some options include roasted vegetables, couscous, mashed potatoes, and a side salad. Or serve it with some warm tortillas for a Mexican-style meal.
How to store leftover Juan pollo chicken?
If you have leftovers, let them cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat Juan Pollo chicken as long as it is cooked thoroughly and the internal temperature reaches 165°F. It is also recommended that pregnant women avoid eating foods with a high sodium content, so be sure to reduce the amount of salt used in the marinade.
How long does it take to cook Juan Pollo chicken?
It usually takes about 40 minutes to 1 hour for the chicken to cook through at 350°F.
Can I use other types of poultry for this recipe?
Yes, you can also use duck meat. However, cooking time may vary depending on the poultry.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed learning about Juan Pollo chicken. This delicious dish is perfect for a special occasion or just to enjoy with family and friends. Be sure to follow the recipe closely and use a meat thermometer to ensure that your chicken is cooked thoroughly before serving.