Last Updated on July 9, 2023
Papas Locas is a delicious Spanish-style potato dish that is both simple and flavorful. It’s an easy way to make a home-cooked meal for your family or guests without having to spend too much time in the kitchen.
The best part? You can customize it with different seasonings according to your preference. Learn the secrets behind making this tasty dish from scratch today!
Read on for the article and to find out what other ingredients you can use to make it even better.
Table of Contents
What is Papas Locas?
Papas Locas is a potato dish that is popular in Cambridge, UK. It is essentially an upgraded version of french fries with an array of toppings such as garlic mayonnaise, onion salsa, sour cream, guacamole, grated cheese, and jalapenos.
The potatoes are usually cut into thick slices and deep-fried until they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
What does it taste like?
Papas Locas is a delicious savory dish that has a combination of crunchy, salty, and creamy flavors. The potatoes themselves have a nice crispy texture with a bit of fluffiness in the middle. The toppings add a great flavor to the dish and give it an extra kick.
How did I first get introduced to the Papas Locas?
I first heard about Papas Locas when I was traveling through the United States. I had seen a food truck that specialized in serving up this dish, and it looked so delicious! It was then that I decided to try making it back at home.
I began researching recipes and found that the key to a good dish of Papas Locas is in the toppings. After experimenting with different seasonings and spices, I was able to come up with my own spin on this classic dish.
You should definitely give this a try if you’re looking for an easy, flavorful, and delicious meal that your family will love!
How to make Papas Locas?
Making Papas Locas is surprisingly simple and doesn’t require too much effort. All you need to do is gather the ingredients & follow the step-by-step process:
You May Also Like These Side Dishes Recipes:
- Sweet potato: This is the main ingredient in this.
- Olive Oil: This will help to fry the potatoes and give them an incredible flavor.
- Green onion: This adds a great flavor and color to your dish.
- Salt & Pepper: To taste, you can adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
- Garlic powder: Adds a unique garlic flavor to the dish.
- Onion powder: This will add an extra onion flavor and give it a nice texture.
- Butter: Usually melted butter is used to fry the potatoes, giving them a delicious taste.
- Black pepper: To finish off the dish and give it a nice zing.
Clean the potatoes by scrubbing them under cold running water. Cut the potatoes into small cubes and place them in a saucepan & boil them until they are tender.
Once the potatoes are boiled, drain them and mashed them with a potato masher or fork.
Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper with the mashed potato and stir everything together.
Heat up a pan on medium heat and pour in the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the mashed potato mixture to the pan and spread it evenly. Fry the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Make sure to stir them regularly so they don’t burn.
Once they are done, remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped green onions. Stir everything together and season with butter, salt & pepper to taste.
Serve while hot!
– Try adding other seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, or smoked paprika to give your Papas Locas a unique flavor.
– You can add some cooked bacon bits for an extra crunchy texture.
– Feel free to experiment with different vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms.
– If you like your Papas Locas extra crispy, you can bake them in a preheated oven at 375F for 15-20 minutes.
Papas Locas Recipe
- wooden spoon
- a bowl
- 6 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Clean the potatoes by scrubbing them under cold running water. Cut the potatoes into small cubes and place them in a saucepan & boil them until they are tender.
- Once the potatoes are boiled, drain them and mashed them with a potato masher or fork.
- Add the onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper with the mashed potato and stir everything together.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat and pour in the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the mashed potato mixture to the pan and spread it evenly. Fry the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. Make sure to stir them regularly so they don’t burn.
- Once they are done, remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped green onions. Stir everything together and season with butter, salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve while hot!
Calories: 371 kcal
Carbohydrates: 59 g
Protein: 5.2 g
Fat: 14 g
Sodium: 305 mg
Fiber: 8.5 g
Sugar: 6.7 g
What to serve with Papas Locas?
Papas Locas is best served hot and can be enjoyed as a side dish or even a main course. It goes well with grilled meat, fish, and vegetables.
You can also serve it with a variety of sauces such as tomato salsa, garlic mayonnaise, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
How to store leftover Papas Locas?
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Make sure to reheat it before eating as this will bring back its crunchiness and make for a better-tasting dish.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat Papas Locas as long as the potatoes are cooked properly. The ingredients used in this dish do not pose any health risks to expecting mothers.
But it is always best to consult a health care provider before consuming any type of food.
Can I substitute sweet potatoes for regular potatoes in this recipe?
Yes, the substitution is possible and will still give you great results.
Can I make this dish vegan?
Yes, you can easily make it vegan by omitting the butter and using plant-based oil for frying.
Can I use other vegetables to make Papas Locas?
Yes, you can add other ingredients such as bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and even broccoli to your Papas Locas. This will give the dish a unique flavor and make it even more delicious!
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes, you can bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 375F for 15-20 minutes. This will give them a crunchy texture and will make them less greasy than if they were fried.
Thank you for taking the time to learn how to make Papas Locas. Get ready to delight your taste buds with this flavorful and delicious dish.
Whether you’re looking for a snack or a hearty meal, you will be sure to impress with this unique dish.
Now that you know how to make Papas Locas, why not whip up a batch and share it with your friends, family, or coworkers? They’ll love how savory and delicious this dish tastes.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Skirt Steak Cast Iron Copycat Recipe
- Pioneer Woman’s Brunswick Stew Copycat Recipe
- Duncan Hines Cherry Pie Copycat Recipe
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.