Last Updated on November 25, 2023
If you are looking for a pioneer woman ham balls recipe, you have come to the right place. Pioneer Woman Ham Balls is a delicious and unique dish originating in the United States.
It is often served as an appetizer or side dish at family dinners or holiday gatherings.
This classic American dish consists of ground pork and ham blended together into small balls which are lightly fried and then simmered in a sweet and tangy sauce.
So, are you interested to learn how to make the delicious Pioneer Woman Ham Balls? We have the perfect guide for you. Follow the directions & make this at home. Let’s get started.
Table of Contents
What Is pioneer woman ham balls?
Pioneer Woman Ham Balls are a traditional American dish that has been around for a long. The main ingredients in this dish are ground pork and ham, which are blended together into small balls, lightly fried, and then simmered in a flavorful sauce.
The mixture is then baked until it is golden and crispy on the outside, while still juicy and tender on the inside. It can be served with a variety of sides, such as mashed potatoes or steamed vegetables.
You Might Also Like These Appetizer Recipes!
- Recipe for Barefoot Contessa Tuna Casserole
- Deer Heart Pickled Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Honey Hot Chicken Tenders
Where Did I First Try pioneer woman ham balls?
I first tried pioneer woman ham balls at a family gathering. My aunt was following pioneer woman recipes and had tried this recipe as a side dish and they were an instant hit with everyone!
I was so impressed by the flavors and texture, that I quickly asked for the recipe. I was amazed to learn how simple it was to make these delicious little morsels of meaty goodness.
The ground pork and ham blended together perfectly in the mix, while the sweet and tangy sauce gave it a unique flavor that couldn’t be beaten. The outside was crispy and golden brown, while the inside remained juicy and tender. It was an absolute delight to eat!
I have since made pioneer woman ham balls many times over for my family and friends. Everyone loves them and they are always a hit at parties! They are so easy to make that you can whip up a batch in no time at all.
- Ground ham: At first you will need to blend ground pork and ham together. It is the main ingredient in this dish.
- Ground Pork: Ground pork goes hand in hand with the ground ham, adding flavor and texture to the mix.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: To make the mixture stick together easier, you will need to use crushed graham crackers. The sweetness of the crackers helps balance out the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Milk: Milk helps to bind the mixture together and helps keep it moist.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binder, helping to keep the mixture together while baking.
- Salt and Pepper to Taste: Salt and pepper are added for flavor and seasoning.
- Parsley: A small amount of chopped parsley gives the dish a bit of herb flavor.
- Sauce: The sauce for the ham balls is made from ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. All of these ingredients combined give the dish its unique sweet and tangy flavor.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the ground ham, pork, graham cracker crumbs, milk, egg, and parsley. Mix together until evenly blended.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place them onto a greased baking sheet.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix together until thoroughly blended.
Remove the ham balls from the oven and place them into the sauce. Stir to coat evenly.
Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the ham balls are golden brown. Serve warm with extra sauce, if desired.
• Make sure to mix the ingredients well so that everything is evenly distributed. For extra flavor, you can add some smoked paprika to the sauce.
• If you don’t have a thermometer, you can check the internal temperature of the ham balls by inserting a toothpick into one. If it comes out clean, they are done cooking.
• To get a crispy texture on the outside of the ham balls, you can pan-fry them in a bit of oil before baking.
• If you find that the ham balls are too moist, you can add some breadcrumbs to the mixture before baking. This will help absorb any excess moisture and give them a crunchier texture.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
• If you don’t have ground pork, you can substitute it with ground beef or turkey.
• If you don’t have graham cracker crumbs, you can use crushed Ritz crackers instead.
• For a dairy-free version, use almond milk or coconut milk in place of regular milk.
• You can also substitute the parsley with other herbs like rosemary or thyme.
Pioneer Woman Ham Balls
- 2 pounds of high-quality ground pork offering a rich and succulent flavor
- 2 cups of finely crushed graham cracker crumbs adding a hint of sweetness and a delightful crunch
- 2 teaspoons of freshly chopped parsley imparting a fresh and vibrant herbal note
- 2 large eggs beaten, lending a light and fluffy consistency to the dish
- Salt and pepper to taste allowing you to season it to your preferred level of savoriness
- 1 cup of creamy milk contributing to a moist and tender texture
- 2 pounds of flavorful ground ham, providing a savory and smoky taste
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar providing a tangy and acidic balance to the sweetness
- 2 cups of luscious brown sugar creating a rich and velvety caramelized taste in the sauce
- 2 teaspoons of zesty mustard bringing a tangy and slightly spicy kick to the sauce
- 3 cups of tangy ketchup forming the base for a delectable and robust flavor profile
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine the ground ham, pork, graham cracker crumbs, milk, egg, and parsley. Mix together until evenly blended.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place them onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix together until thoroughly blended.
- Remove the ham balls from the oven and place them into the sauce. Stir to coat evenly.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the ham balls are golden brown. Serve warm with extra sauce, if desired.
- Make sure to mix the ingredients well so that everything is evenly distributed. For extra flavor, you can add some smoked paprika to the sauce.
- If you don’t have a thermometer, you can check the internal temperature of the ham balls by inserting a toothpick into one. If it comes out clean, they are done cooking.
- To get a crispy texture on the outside of the ham balls, you can pan-fry them in a bit of oil before baking.
- If you find that the ham balls are too moist, you can add some breadcrumbs to the mixture before baking. This will help absorb any excess moisture and give them a crunchier texture.
One serving (4 ham balls) contains approximately:
- Calories 83 kcal
- Total Fat 3.1g
- Saturated Fat 1.1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
- Monounsaturated Fat 1.3g
- Cholesterol 21mg
- Sodium 148mg
- Potassium 116mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2g
- Sugars 5.2g
- Protein 5.8g
How to Store Leftover pioneer woman ham balls?
To store the leftover ham balls, first, let them cool completely. Place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
They can also be frozen for up to 6 months. When ready to reheat, place them on a baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Pregnant women may consume this dish in moderation. However, it is always best to consult a healthcare professional before eating any type of food.
Can I use fresh ham instead of ground pork and ham?
Yes, you can use freshly sliced or diced ham instead of ground pork and ham. However, the texture and flavor may be slightly different.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the mixture ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. The sauce can also be made ahead of time and stored separately. When ready to cook, shape them into balls and proceed with the recipe as directed.
What else can I serve with pioneer woman ham balls?
Pioneer woman ham balls are great served alongside roasted vegetables or a green salad. They also make delicious sandwiches when placed on a bun along with some lettuce, tomato, and mayo. For an extra special treat, top them with some melted cheese!
Pioneer woman ham balls are a delicious and easy dish to make. The combination of ground pork and ham, along with the sweet and tangy sauce, gives this dish an unforgettable flavor. It’s sure to be a hit with friends and family alike!
With just a few simple ingredients and minimal prep time, you can have this tasty meal ready in no time. So go ahead and give these ham balls a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Thanks for reading! Please share the recipe with your friends and family!
Sharing is Caring!
You Might Also Like These Latest Recipes!
- Recipe for Pioneer Woman King Ranch Casserole
- Pioneer Woman Strawberry Poke Cake (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Pioneer Woman Turkey Cutlets
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.