Last Updated on November 24, 2023
Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread is a delicious, moist, and flavorful bread made with shredded zucchini, spices, and nuts. It’s the perfect way to use up all those extra summer zucchinis!
This easy-to-make recipe will quickly become one of your family’s favorites – especially when served with a slather of butter.
This American -style zucchini bread is a great way to use up all your extra zucchinis. It’s moist, flavorful, and full of spices that make it taste like home. Plus, it’s perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Table of Contents
What Is Barefoot contessa zucchini bread?
Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread is an American-style bread made with shredded zucchini, spices, and chopped walnuts. It is a moist and flavorful bread that originated in the United States.
The recipe was developed by celebrity chef Ina Garten (aka “The Barefoot Contessa”) for her cookbook Barefoot Contessa Parties! The bread is usually served as a breakfast or an afternoon snack. It is also a great way to use up extra zucchinis.
This recipe for Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread combines all the best flavors, textures, and aromas that make it truly unique. With its combination of zucchini, spices, and nuts, you’ll be sure to impress your family and friends!
Where Did I First Try Barefoot contessa zucchini bread?
I first tried Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread when I was visiting friends in the USA. It had been a long, grueling day of sightseeing and we were looking for something to do that evening.
My friend suggested baking some zucchini bread and I thought it would be fun to try out a classic American recipe. We ran to the store, bought all the ingredients and quickly got to work in the kitchen.
It was introduced celebrity chef Ina Garten (aka “The Barefoot Contessa”) in her cookbook Barefoot Contessa Parties! The recipe was easy to follow and within no time, our kitchen was filled with a heavenly aroma. We divided the mixture into two 9×5 inch loaf pans and placed them in the oven.
We watched as it baked through the oven window and in about 55-60 minutes, our loaf pans were filled with the most delicious golden brown zucchini bread. We let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting into it.
The flavor and texture of this Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread was amazing! It was moist, flavorful and full of spices that made it truly unique.
You can also checkout the following dessert Recipe :
- Kermit’s recipe for key lime pie
- Fruit Cocktail Cake recipe from Del Monte
- Recipe for Herbalife Cookies
Shredded Zucchini: Shredded Zucchini is the main ingredients in this bread. It adds a lot of moisture, gives it a nice texture, and also provides some nutrition.
All-purpose flour: All purpose flour is used as the base for this recipe. It provides structure and bulk to the bread, so that it holds together when baking.
Sugar: Sugar helps to sweeten the bread and balance out the savory flavors of the zucchini.
Softened Butter: Softened butter helps give this recipe a rich flavor and also provides moisture for baking.
Large Eggs: Large eggs help bind everything together and make sure all of the ingredients are properly incorporated. They also provide richness and structure to the bread.
Vanilla: Vanilla extract adds a subtle sweetness and flavor to the bread.
Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves: These spices add a lot of flavor to the zucchini bread. They also provide some warmth and complexity that really make this recipe stand out.
Baking powder, baking soda: Both baking powder and baking soda are used in this recipe to help give the bread a nice rise.
Salt: Salt helps enhance all of the other flavors in the bread and brings out their complexity.
Chopped walnuts: Chopped walnuts add a nice crunchy texture and nutty flavor to the zucchini bread. They are also a great source of healthy fats and protein.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. In a separate medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add in the vanilla. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix or it will make your bread tough.
Fold in the shredded zucchini and chopped walnuts until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a wire rack.
• Make sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature before beginning this recipe. This will ensure even baking and prevent lumps in your batter.
• The bread is done baking when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
• Let the bread cool before slicing to prevent it from falling apart.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you can replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for more fiber and nutrients. You can also substitute coconut oil for the butter if you’d like to make it dairy-free.
If you don’t have walnuts on hand, feel free to substitute them with pecans, almonds or even sunflower seeds. Finally, if you’re looking to add a bit more sweetness to your bread, try adding ¼ cup of honey or maple syrup.
Barefoot Contessa Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 1 Oven
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves a warm and spicy spice that adds complexity and depth to the flavor profile, complementing the other spices and contributing to a delightful warmth.
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini adding moisture and a subtle vegetable sweetness to the baked goods, creating a moist and tender finished product.
- 1 cup of sugar providing sweetness and contributing to the overall flavor balance, enhancing the natural flavors of the other ingredients.
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg a warm and aromatic spice that adds a hint of earthiness and depth to the flavor profile, complementing the other spices in the recipe.
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground cinnamon a classic spice that infuses the baked goods with a warm and comforting aroma, adding a delightful and familiar flavor.
- 1.5 teaspoons of vanilla adding a fragrant and aromatic note that enhances the overall flavor profile, providing a hint of sweetness and depth.
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts adding a delightful crunch and nutty flavor to the baked goods, providing textural contrast and enhancing the overall taste experience.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda another leavening agent that helps the batter rise and creates a lighter texture in the final product.
- 1/2 cup of softened butter adding richness and moisture to the batter, resulting in a tender and buttery finished product.
- 1.5 large eggs you can beat 2 eggs and use half of it, providing structure, moisture, and richness to the batter, contributing to a tender and cohesive texture in the baked goods.
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking powder a leavening agent that helps the batter rise, resulting in a light and fluffy texture.
- 1.5 cups of all-purpose flour a versatile and commonly used flour that forms the base of the recipe, providing structure and a tender crumb to the baked goods.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. In a separate medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add in the vanilla. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix or it will make your bread tough.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and chopped walnuts until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a wire rack.
One serving of zucchini bread contains about 339 calories, 14.6 grams of fat, 46.4 grams of carbohydrates, 3.2 grams of fiber, and 5.8 grams of protein. It is also a good source of Vitamin A and Iron. For more nutritional information, check out the full nutrition label below:
Serving Size: 1 Slice (1/12 of loaf)
- Calories: 339
- Fat: 14.6g
- Carbohydrates: 46.4g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Vitamin A: 2% DV
- Iron: 8% DV
- Sodium: 192mg
- Potassium: 154mg
- Calcium: 2% DV
- Zinc: 1% DV
How to Store Leftover Barefoot contessa zucchini bread?
Leftover zucchini bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply place the frozen loaf in the refrigerator overnight or microwave individual slices until heated through.
How can I make this recipe vegan?
To make this recipe vegan, you will need to substitute the butter with an appropriate vegan alternative such as coconut oil or vegetable shortening, and use a flax egg in place of the eggs called for in the recipe.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat zucchini bread as long as it is prepared using pasteurized ingredients.
Does this recipe contain nuts?
Yes, this recipe contains walnuts. If you have a nut allergy or sensitivity, be sure to omit them or substitute them with an appropriate alternative.
What is the best way to serve zucchini bread?
The best way to serve zucchini bread is with a generous spread of butter or cream cheese. It also pairs well with coffee, tea, or homemade lemonade.
Zucchini bread is a delicious, moist and flavorful quick bread that’s great for breakfast, snack time or dessert. It’s also a great way to sneak some extra vegetables into your diet!
With its simple ingredients and easy preparation steps, you can whip up a batch of this nutritious treat in no time. And if you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you can easily substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat and use coconut oil in place of butter.
Please share this recipe with your friends and family. This will help them to make the same delicious zucchini bread at home. Thank you.