Last Updated on November 28, 2023
First watch purple haze is an easy-to-make cocktail with a sweet, fruity flavor. You can enjoy this smooth drink in the pool, on the patio, or at a bar. It’s made with gin, vodka, light rum, raspberry liqueur, and sour mix. The combination creates a complex flavor that goes down smoothly and leaves you wanting more.
First Watch is an American restaurant chain based in Bradenton, Florida. They specialize in breakfast and brunch dishes but also have expanded their menu to include salads, soups, sandwiches, and burgers. In this article, we’ll teach you how to make the signature First Watch purple haze cocktail.
Table of Contents
What Is First watch purple haze?
First watch purple haze is a delicious and easy-to-make cocktail. The first Watch restaurant was founded in 1983 by the owners of a small chain of diners called “First Watch.” It has since grown to over 300 locations across the United States.
This signature drink is made with gin, vodka, light rum, raspberry liqueur, and sour mix. The combination of these ingredients creates a complex flavor that goes down smoothly and leaves you wanting more.
Where Did I First Try First watch Purple haze?
I first tried First Watch purple haze at a First Watch restaurant in Indianapolis, Indiana. I had heard about the drink from friends who had visited the restaurant and were raving about how good it was.
When I arrived at the restaurant, I immediately noticed the vibrant atmosphere. The walls were painted a deep purple and there were colorful paintings hung all over them. The staff was friendly and helpful, offering suggestions for what to order.
When I saw the First Watch purple haze on the menu, I knew I had to try it. They warned me that it was strong but delicious. When they brought it out, I noticed the drink was a light purple color with a garnish of a lemon wedge.
I took a sip and the flavor was immediately noticeable. It had a sweet, slightly tart taste that was perfectly balanced with the strong flavors of the gin, vodka, and rum. I could also taste hints of raspberry from the liqueur, which added a nice depth of flavor to the drink.
It was definitely one of the most flavorful drinks that I’ve ever had. I enjoyed it so much that I ended up ordering a few more and even shared them with my friends.
The experience was so enjoyable that I ended up making First watch purple haze at home since then. It has become one of my go-to drinks when hosting parties or having friends over.
You can also checkout the following drinks Recipe :
Gin: Gin is a juniper berry-flavored spirit that originates from the Netherlands. It adds complexity and herbal notes to the cocktail, so it shouldn’t be left out.
Vodka: Vodka is an essential ingredient in most cocktails where you want a nice clean taste without adding too much flavor. In this case, it helps to balance out the other flavors and makes this drink extra smooth.
Light rum: Light rum adds a subtle sweetness that helps to brighten up the flavor of the cocktail. Plus, it has an interesting depth of flavor that you won’t find in many other drinks.
Hiram Walker Raspberry Liqueur: This raspberry liqueur adds a tart and fruity flavor to the drink. It’s also what turns this cocktail purple!
Sour mix: Sour mix is a combination of lemon, lime, and sugar syrup that helps to sweeten and balance out the flavors in this cocktail.
Ice: Ice is needed for both shaking and serving the cocktail.
Lemon-lime soda: This is used to top off the drink and give it some fizz.
Lemon wedge: The lemon wedge is for decoration and also adds a bit of citrusy flavor to the drink.
Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add the gin, vodka, light rum, raspberry liqueur, and sour mix to the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds or until the outside of the shaker is cold.
Fill a Collins glass with fresh ice cubes and strain the mixture from the shaker into it. Top off with lemon-lime soda and stir lightly.
Garnish with a lemon wedge. Serve immediately and enjoy.
• If you don’t have Hiram Walker Raspberry Liqueur, you can substitute with another raspberry liqueur or raspberry-flavored schnapps.
• Feel free to adjust the amount of soda added according to your taste preferences.
• If you don’t have a shaker, use a large mason jar with a lid to mix the cocktail.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
- If you don’t have gin, you can substitute it for vodka. For the light rum, substitute it with white rum.
- You can also use any other raspberry liqueur or schnapps of your choice.
- If you don’t have a sour mix, you can make it by combining 2 parts of freshly squeezed lemon juice with 1 part of simple syrup.
First Watch Purple Haze Recipe
- Cocktail Shaker
- Cocktail Glass
- 6 ounces of tangy and citrusy sour mix creating a perfectly balanced blend of sweet and sour elements.
- Lemon wedges for garnish, providing a bright and citrusy aroma, as well as a visually appealing element to the cocktail.
- 1 ounce of smooth and versatile vodka providing a neutral base for the flavors to shine.
- 1 ounce of Hiram Walker Raspberry Liqueur infusing a burst of fruity and vibrant raspberry flavor.
- 1 ounce of crisp and botanical gin adding a refreshing and herbal note to the cocktail.
- Ice ensuring a chilled and refreshing drink that can be enjoyed sip after sip.
- Lemon-lime soda adding a fizzy and effervescent touch, elevating the drink’s overall texture and taste.
- 1 ounce of light rum lending a subtle and mellow sweetness to the mix.
- Fill a shaker with ice cubes. Add the gin, vodka, light rum, raspberry liqueur, and sour mix to the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds or until the outside of the shaker is cold.
- Fill a Collins glass with fresh ice cubes and strain the mixture from the shaker into it. Top off with lemon-lime soda and stir lightly.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge. Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Calories: 183
- Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohyd: 18 g
- P: 0 g
- Alcohol content: 12.5% v/v
How to Store Leftovers First watch purple haze?
You can store leftover drinks in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Moreover, you can store the leftover syrup in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks. It is always best to drink it as possible to get the best taste.
Can pregnant women eat this?
No, it is not recommended for pregnant women to consume alcoholic drinks.
Can I make this recipe non-alcoholic?
Yes, you can omit the gin, vodka and light rum in the recipe and replace it with an equal amount of fruit juice or sparkling water instead. You can also reduce the amount of liqueur used according to your preference.
Can children eat this?
No, due to the high alcohol content in this drink, it is not recommended for children.
First Watch purple haze is a classic and tasty cocktail that combines gin, vodka, light rum, raspberry liqueur, and sour mix. It has a sweet-tart flavor and a beautiful purple hue. Perfect for any occasion, this refreshing drink is sure to please everyone!
For those who are looking for an alcohol-free version of this cocktail, it can be easily made by omitting the gin, vodka, and rum and substituting them with an equal amount of cranberry juice.
Whether you’re enjoying a night out or just relaxing at home, this cocktail will make your day a little better. Please share this recipe with your friends and family. Thank you for reading this.
Sharing is caring!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Recipe for Chicken Marsala from Cheesecake Factory
- Cooking Pho Ap Chao
- Orange Cranberry Costco Recipe for Bisconi
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.