Last Updated on July 1, 2023
If you are new to learning about the popular dish, Pioneer Woman Chicken Dorito Casserole, you are probably wondering why so many people enjoy this dish. This easy-to-make casserole is a tasty combination of Mexican flavors that will have your family begging for seconds!
The creamy cream of chicken soup combines with juicy chicken and crunchy Doritos to create an incredibly flavorful dinner. Do you want to learn how to make this? Well, you’ve come to the right place!
This guide will walk you through every single step of making this delicious casserole. Read on to find out what ingredients you need, how to put them together, and get cooking tips from a pro chef!
Table of Contents
What Is pioneer woman chicken dorito casserole?
Pioneer Woman Chicken Dorito Casserole is an easy-to-make casserole that combines juicy chicken, flavorful Mexican spices, creamy cream of chicken soup, and crunchy Doritos.
This dish is incredibly satisfying and will have your family begging for seconds! It takes only 30 minutes to prepare this delicious dinner that everyone can enjoy.
Where Did I First Try pioneer woman chicken dorito casserole?
I first tasted the Pioneer Woman Chicken Dorito Casserole at a potluck dinner hosted by one of my friends.
She had made it following Ree Drummond, also known as the Pioneer Woman’s recipe. As soon as I tasted it, I knew that I had to make this dish for myself.
It was the kind the night before and everyone was raving about it. After I tried a bite, I knew why they were all going crazy for it!
The flavors in this dish are so unique and complex that you won’t be able to stop eating it. The combination of juicy chicken, Mexican spices, creamy cream of chicken soup, and crunchy Doritos is a winning flavor combination that will have your family begging for seconds!
I was so impressed with how easy the dish was to make and only took about 30 minutes from start to finish. What’s more, I only had to use one pan for the entire dish which made clean-up a breeze.
It’s also an incredibly affordable meal that everyone can enjoy and will make enough to feed your family multiple times if you have leftovers.
Since I first tried it, I’ve been making this casserole weekly as it’s become a staple in my household. Everyone loves it and it’s so easy that I can have dinner on the table in no time. If you’ve never tried this dish before, I highly recommend giving it a try!
You May Also Like These Dinner Recipes:
- Cooked chicken: The basic ingredient for this dish is cooked chicken. You can use any kind of cooked chicken you like, such as rotisserie chicken or freshly cooked chicken.
- Butter: This adds flavor and helps the onion and garlic to sauté in the pan. Moreover, butter also helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Medium yellow onion: Chopped onion adds flavor and crunch to the dish.
- Garlic clove: Garlic brings out the flavors of all the other ingredients in this casserole. You can use a freshly minced garlic clove or pre-minced garlic from a jar.
- Mexican cheese blend: This adds creaminess and flavor to the casserole. You can use a pre-packaged blend or make your own with shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, queso fresco, and asadero.
- Taco seasoning: This is what really gives this dish its Mexican flair. Feel free to adjust the amount of seasoning depending on how spicy you like it.
- Cream of chicken soup: This adds creaminess and thickness to the casserole.
- Canned black beans: Black beans add a nice texture and protein to the dish.
- Canned corn: Sweet corn adds sweetness to balance out the spiciness of the taco seasoning.
- Sour cream: Sour cream gives this dish its creamy texture while also adding a hint of tartness for flavor.
- Rotel tomatoes: The diced tomatoes add texture and more Mexican flavors to the dish.
- Green chiles: This ingredient adds heat to the dish, so adjust the amount depending on how spicy you like it.
- Nacho Cheese Doritos: Finally, crushed up Doritos on top and give this casserole a crunchy topping.
- Fresh parsley: Parsley adds freshness and color to the dish. Plus, it’s a good source of vitamins A and C.
Start off with your oven by preheating it to 350°F and spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut the cooked chicken into small cubes and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and garlic clove. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in the chicken cubes to the skillet and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the Mexican cheese blend, taco seasoning, cream of chicken soup, black beans, corn, sour cream, Rotel tomatoes, and green chiles. Mix together until combined.
Place crushed Doritos and then pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with more Doritos and then sprinkle with parsley.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving
- Make sure to cook the chicken completely before adding it to the skillet and make sure that it is cut into small cubes.
- You can adjust the amount of taco seasoning depending on how spicy you like your food.
- When stirring together the ingredients, use a spatula or wooden spoon so you don’t break up the Doritos on top.
- Let the casserole cool for a few minutes before serving so that all of the ingredients can settle together.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
Instead of chicken, you can use ground beef or turkey. For vegan/vegetarian options, you could try using cooked lentils or tofu. You can substitute the cream of chicken soup with plain yogurt or vegan sour cream.
Pioneer Woman Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Small skillet
- baking sheet
- Foil paper
- large measuring cup
- 2 cups fresh Broccoli
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 9 inch Deep Dish Pie Crust
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 C Cheddar Cheese
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1.5 c Whole Milk
- You need to saute the broccoli. Put it in a small skillet over medium heat and stir frequently. Let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is softened but still slightly crunchy.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and place a baking sheet on the bottom rack of your oven to catch any drips during baking. Then, in a large bowl, mix together the softened butter, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Add to the butter mixture and stir until evenly coated. Place pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan and spread the broccoli mixture around the bottom of the crust.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the broccoli and spread evenly. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until fully combined.
- Pour egg mixture into pie pan on top of broccoli and cheese. Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until the quiche is golden brown. Allow the quiche to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- When chopping the broccoli, make sure to cut it into small florets as this will allow them to cook evenly throughout the quiche.
- If you want a richer flavor, consider adding some cream cheese or feta cheese to the quiche.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk until fully combined for a creamy custard base.
- Make sure not to over-bake the quiche as it may become dry.
One serving of this dish contains approximately
- 370 calories,
- 21g of fat,
- 26g of carbohydrates, and
- 17g of protein.
How to Store Leftover pioneer woman chicken dorito casserole?
You can store leftover Pioneer Woman Chicken Dorito Casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To reheat, microwave for 2-3 minutes or bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat this dish as long as all of the ingredients are cooked fully. Although, it is recommended to consult a healthcare professional before eating this dish.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the casserole in advance and store it in an airtight container for up to two days in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
What other vegetables can I add to this dish?
Other vegetables that can be added to this dish include bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and olives. You can also add sliced jalapenos for an extra kick of heat!
For sure this dish is full of flavor and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. I love how easy it is to make and the fact that you can customize it with different ingredients. It’s sure to become a staple in your household! Try it out today and enjoy a delicious, satisfying meal in no time.
When you try this recipe, don’t try it alone. Please share this easy-to-make recipe with your close friends and family. I know they will love it just as much as you do.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!