Last Updated on October 21, 2023
Looking for the copycat Popeyes cajun gravy recipe to cook at home that exactly tastes like their own? Here is the right place for you. We have developed the Popeyes Cajun gravy copycat recipe that includes all the ingredients and measurements that you will need to make it at home.
Table of Contents
What is Popeyes Cajun Gravy?
Popeyes Cajun Gravy is a type of gravy that is popular in the southern United States. It is made with a roux of flour and fat that typically includes onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and other spices.
The gravy is often served over rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes and is also used as a dipping sauce for fried foods. It is a common ingredient in many Cajun and Creole dishes. It’s also an essential component of the famous Louisiana Fried Chicken.
Whenever I crave some mouthwatering items, I must have popeyes cajun gravy. This way, I can enjoy my favorite comfort food without having to go out and spend money.
The recipe is so easy to make that anyone can cook it in their kitchen and share it with his/her family and friends.
You can also cook it anytime at your home to bring the Popeyes restaurant taste to your own kitchen table. Most ingredients are probably already in your kitchen pantry. The rich flavor of Popeyes Gravy mix makes your meal appetizing.
So, if you’re looking for a delicious and hearty gravy recipe, look no further than Popeyes Cajun Gravy!
Also read: Mcdonalds breakfast sauce
What Necessary Equipment Do You Need To Prepare It?
You will need the following equipment to make Popeyes Cajun Gravy:
- A skillet pan
- A wooden spoon
- A bowl
- A small jar
How long does it take to make this dish?
Popeyes Cajun Gravy is typically made in about 35-40 minutes. However, depending on the recipe, it can take up to an hour to make.
Generally, it takes about 10 minutes to prepare all the ingredients and vegetables. And you have to cook for about 25-30 minutes.
Also read: Pollo tropical chicken copycat recipe
- All-purpose flour: This is the base of the gravy and helps to thicken it. Make sure to use fresh flour without any lumps for a smooth consistency.
- Chicken gizzards: These add flavor and texture to the gravy. You can also use chicken liver or other meat parts if you prefer.
- Beef broth: This provides a rich and savory flavor to the gravy. You can substitute with chicken or vegetable broth if desired.
- Garlic powder: It adds a subtle garlic flavor to the gravy. You can also use fresh minced garlic for a stronger taste.
- Ground pork and beef: These add meatiness to the gravy and complement the flavors of the gizzards. You can use all ground beef if you prefer or even add bacon for extra depth of flavor.
- Milk: It helps to balance out the flavors and adds a creamy texture to the gravy. You can use any type of milk, such as whole, 2%, or even evaporated milk.
- Coarse ground black pepper: This adds a hint of spice and complements the other flavors in the gravy. You can adjust the amount to your preference.
- Granulated sugar: This helps to balance out the savory flavors and adds a touch of sweetness. You can use honey or brown sugar as substitutes.
- Water: This is used to thin out the gravy and achieve the desired consistency. You can also use additional broth for more flavor.
- Chilli powder: This adds a subtle heat to the gravy. You can adjust the amount based on your preference for spiciness.
- Green bell peppers: These add a pop of color and freshness to the gravy. You can also use other types of peppers, such as red or yellow, for added flavor.
- White vinegar: It provides a tangy acidity to the gravy. You can substitute with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
- Cornstarch: This is used as a thickening agent for the gravy. Make sure to mix it with water before adding it to the gravy for a smooth consistency.
- Dried parsley flakes: These add a touch of herbiness and color to the gravy. You can use fresh parsley if preferred.
- Vegetable oil: It is used for cooking and adds a bit of richness to the gravy. You can use other types of oil, such as canola or olive oil if desired.
- Salt: This helps to enhance the flavors in the gravy. Add it according to your taste preferences.
How To Make This Dish in your own kitchen?
You can this cajun gravy at home with just a few simple steps described below:
Step 1: Preparing the Gizzards
- Rinse the chicken gizzards under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Season the gizzards with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoons of flour and coat each gizzard in it evenly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the gizzards to the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes or until they are golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the gizzards from the skillet and set them aside.
Step 2: Preparing the Gravy Base
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat 1 cup of ground pork over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the pork is fully cooked and no longer pink.
- Add in 1 cup of ground beef and continue cooking for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Once the meats are fully cooked, add in 2 teaspoons of white vinegar and stir.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes to the saucepan and mix well.
- Next, add in 2 tablespoons of minced green bell peppers and cook for another minute.
- Pour in 3 cups of beef broth and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Step 3: Thickening the Gravy
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together 4 tablespoons of cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of water until it forms a smooth paste.
- Slowly pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan while stirring continuously.
- Add in 4 tablespoons of milk and stir until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
- Finally, add in 1 teaspoon of sugar and salt to taste.
- If the gravy is too thick, you can thin it out with a little bit of water or beef broth.
Step 4: Adding the Gizzards
- Return the cooked gizzards to the gravy and let them simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Taste the gravy and adjust any seasonings if needed.
- Once the gizzards are heated through, turn off the heat and let the gravy sit for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve hot over mashed potatoes or your favorite side dish.
- Enjoy your homemade Popeyes gravy!
What Does Popeyes Cajun Gravy Smell And Taste Like?
Popeyes Cajun gravy has a strong, savory aroma with hints of spices like black pepper and garlic. The flavor is rich and slightly spicy, with a hint of sweetness from the roux. It is a delicious and versatile gravy that you can use on many different dishes. Popeyes Cajun gravies are hearty, glossy, and warm. They’re delicious when served with a lot of different side dishes.
How to store it?
You can store the Popeyes Cajun gravy in a fridge for up to two days. To reheat, simply microwave the gravy on high for about 1 minute or until heated through.
What dish goes best with Popeyes Cajun Gravy?
There are a few different dishes that you can serve with Popeyes Cajun Gravy, but some of the best options include rice, mashed potatoes, and cookies.
This gravy is also delicious on its own, so feel free to enjoy it as a dipping sauce or pour it over your favorite food. No matter how you enjoy it, Popeyes Cajun Gravy is sure to add more extra flavor to your meal.
Popeye’s cajun gravy recipe
- 1 skillet pan
- 1 bowl
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 small jar, etc
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour sifted with care
- 3 cups of canned reduced-sodium beef broth
- 5 succulent chicken gizzards each one a culinary gem
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder handcrafted for aromatic perfection
- 4 tablespoons of velvety buttermilk or rich whole milk
- 1 cup of premium ground pork a flavorful foundation
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper the dark allure
- 1/2 teaspoon of artisanal chili powder a dash of smoky heat
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar or pristine white granulated sugar
- 4 cups of pure spring water the essence of liquid life
- 2 teaspoons of Distilled White Vinegar the tangy touch from the orchards
- 3 tablespoons of finely minced green bell peppers for a burst of vibrant color
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley flakes the delicate green confetti
- 4 tablespoons of artisanal cornflour cornstarch, a silky thickener
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil or premium vegetable oil
- 1 cup of lean ground beef a prime selection
- Salt to taste a pinch of oceanic perfection
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken gizzards before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Coat the gizzards in flour and cook in heated oil until golden brown.
- In a separate saucepan, cook ground pork and beef until fully cooked.
- Add white vinegar, chili powder, garlic powder, and dried parsley flakes to the saucepan.
- Stir in minced green bell peppers and beef broth, then let it simmer.
- Create a cornstarch mixture and pour into the saucepan to thicken the gravy.
- Add milk for creaminess and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Return the cooked gizzards to the gravy and let them heat through.
- Serve hot over mashed potatoes or your preferred side dish. Enjoy your homemade Popeyes gravy!
Amount per serving And % Daily Values
Serving: 6 Calories: 91 | Total Fat 3.8g – 5% | Saturated Fat 0.8g – 4% | Cholesterol 12mg – 4% | Sodium 301mg – 13% | Total Carbohydrate 8.1g – 3% | Dietary Fiber 0.8g – 3% | Total Sugars 3.2g | Protein 6.4g | Vitamin D 0mcg – 0% | Calcium 18g – 1% | Iron 2mg – 11% | Potassium 220mg – 5%
The Percent Daily Value (DV) of a nutrient in a food serving indicates how much it contributes to a daily diet. The standard nutrition advice is 2,000 calories per day.
We hope you enjoyed this Popeyes Cajun Gravy recipe. As you can see, it’s not difficult to make at all. And the result is a rich and flavorful gravy that everyone will love. So, don’t hesitate to give it a try! And if you like this recipe, please share it with your friends and family.