Last Updated on June 23, 2023
This delicious Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, created by Ree Drummond – The Pioneer Woman, is a comforting and easy casserole dish for the whole family. It features tender shredded chicken, egg noodles, creamy condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, and milk, along with poppy seeds and grated Parmesan cheese.
In this article, we will take you through the steps to preparing this delicious meal and provide helpful tips and tricks for ensuring it comes out perfect every time. So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is a poppy seed chicken casserole pioneer woman?
A Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman is a delicious, homestyle recipe popularized by Ree Drummond, also known as The Pioneer Woman.
This comfort food dish features tender, shredded chicken combined with a creamy sauce made of cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and butter. It’s then topped with crushed Ritz crackers mixed with poppy seeds, adding a delightful crunch and unique flavor to the casserole.
Baked until golden and bubbly, this dish is perfect for family dinners or potlucks, and it pairs well with a simple green salad or steamed vegetables.
What does It taste like?
This casserole is full of flavor and creaminess! The combination of shredded chicken, egg noodles, condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise and milk, poppy seeds, and grated Parmesan cheese makes this dish creamy and delicious. The crunchy topping from the crushed cornflakes adds a nice contrast in texture.
How was I first introduced to the poppy seed chicken casserole pioneer woman?
I was first introduced to the Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole by Pioneer Woman through a potluck dinner with friends. As I scanned the array of mouthwatering dishes, a golden-brown casserole caught my eye.
Curiosity piqued, I scooped a generous portion onto my plate. One bite was all it took to become utterly captivated by the delightful combination of tender chicken, creamy sauce, and the subtle crunch of poppy seeds.
The comforting flavors and satisfying texture made it an instant favorite. Determined to recreate the magic, I sought out the recipe and have since shared this comforting dish with loved ones, relishing the memories of that first enchanting encounter.
How to make poppy seed chicken casserole pioneer woman?
Making this delicious poppy seed chicken casserole is easier than you think. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make it.
You May Also Like These Side Dishes Recipes:
- Cranberry Jalapeno Dip Costco Copycat Recipe
- Zips Tartar Sauce Copycat Recipe
- Recipe for Red Lobster Tartar Sauce
- Shredded chicken: 4 cups
- Egg noodles (uncooked): 2 cups
- Condensed cream of chicken soup: 1 can (10.75 ounces)
- Sour cream: 1 cup
- Mayonnaise: ½ cup
- Milk: ½ cup
- Poppy seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Grated Parmesan cheese: ½ cup
- Crushed cornflakes: 2 cups
- Melted butter: 2 tablespoons
– Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
– In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, egg noodles, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, poppy seeds, and Parmesan cheese. Ensure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
– Spread the mixture evenly into a 9×13-inch baking dish that has been greased.
– In a separate small bowl, blend together the crushed cornflakes and melted butter. Spread this mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
– Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until it becomes hot and bubbly.
– Serve the casserole while hot, optionally garnishing with additional poppy seeds for added flavor and visual appeal. Enjoy the delicious combination of flavors in each bite!
– If you like your casserole extra cheesy, feel free to add in more Parmesan cheese.
– Increase the amount of melted butter by an additional tablespoon or two for a crunchier topping.
– Make sure to cook your chicken before adding it to the mixture so that it is tender and flavorful.
– To save time, use pre-shredded chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
– For an added flavor boost, consider adding in some minced garlic or onion powder.
– If you prefer more of a creamy consistency, add in additional sour cream or mayonnaise.
– Feel free to use your favorite type of egg noodles for this recipe;- wide, curly, or extra wide egg noodles all work great.
– This casserole can also be frozen for later use; just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and heat it up before serving.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- large mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, egg noodles, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, poppy seeds, and Parmesan cheese. Ensure all ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a 9×13-inch baking dish that has been greased.
- In a separate small bowl, blend together the crushed cornflakes and melted butter. Spread this mixture evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until it becomes hot and bubbly.
- Serve the casserole while hot, optionally garnishing with additional poppy seeds for added flavor and visual appeal. Enjoy the delicious combination of flavors in each bite!
The nutrition facts for this poppy seed chicken casserole are as follows (serving size of 1 cup):
Fat: 21 g
Carbohydrates: 46.7 g
Protein: 28.1 g
Sodium: 749 mg
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Simply prepare the casserole per the instructions, and allow it to cool before covering it with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. When ready to eat, remove from the fridge and bake as directed.
How do I store the poppy seed chicken casserole pioneer woman?
The casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in a sealed container. You can freeze the prepared dish for longer storage for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking as directed.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can eat poppy seed chicken casserole. However, it is important to keep in mind that this recipe contains raw eggs and pre-cooked chicken, both of which may need to be handled carefully depending on the individual’s risk factors.
Pregnant women should consult their doctor before consuming any food containing raw or undercooked ingredients. Additionally, it is recommended to heat the casserole thoroughly before consuming it.
How do I make sure the casserole is cooked through?
The best way to ensure that your casserole is cooked through is to check its internal temperature with a food thermometer. The center should reach 165°F (74°C) for it to be safe to eat.
Can I use canned chicken instead of cooking my own?
Yes, canned chicken can be used in this recipe. However, it is recommended to use pre-cooked shredded chicken for the best flavor and texture.
Can I substitute the mayonnaise in this recipe for something else?
Yes, you can use Greek yogurt or sour cream as a substitute for the mayonnaise. Both will work well in this recipe and lend a slightly different, but still delicious flavor to the casserole.
Can I freeze leftovers?
Yes, you can freeze leftovers of the poppy seed chicken casserole for up to 3 months. Be sure to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What other ingredients can I add to this casserole?
To give your poppy seed chicken casserole an extra flavor boost, try adding some minced garlic or onion powder, additional Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of Italian herbs. You could also mix in some cooked vegetables like broccoli or mushrooms for more texture.
Thanks for reading this article on how to make the classic dish of poppy seed chicken casserole pioneer woman! This creamy, cheesy, and flavorful casserole is sure to become a regular meal in your home.
With just a few simple ingredients and pantry staples, you can easily whip up this delicious dinner with minimal effort.
Feel free to customize your casserole by adding in some of your favorite ingredients or experimenting with different cheeses and seasonings. Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!