Last Updated on November 16, 2023
Soy garlic chicken is a popular dish in many parts of the world, especially in Asian countries. It is an easy-to-make meal that can be served as part of a main course or as a snack.
The combination of soy sauce and garlic provides a savory flavor that makes it very enjoyable to eat.
Read on to learn how to make this tasty dish at home and also get to know about the various nutrition facts, and tips associated with it.
Table of Contents
What is soy garlic chicken?
As mentioned above, soy garlic chicken is a dish made from chicken pieces marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic and other ingredients. It is mainly served as part of a main course or as an appetizer.
The marinade helps to tenderize the chicken and infuse it with flavor. The ingredients used for the marinade can vary, but usually include garlic, soy sauce, sugar and spices.
What does it taste like?
Soy garlic chicken has a savory and slightly sweet flavor from the combination of soy sauce, garlic and other ingredients. The chicken itself is tender and juicy, making it an enjoyable dish to eat.
The marinade also helps to add a nice aroma, making it even more appetizing.
How did I discover the deliciousness of soy garlic chicken?
I was first introduced to soy garlic chicken when I visited a local restaurant. The dish looked and smelled delicious, so I decided to try it. It was love at first bite! Since then, I have been making this dish whenever I crave something tasty yet easy-to-make.
How to make soy garlic chicken?
Making soy garlic chicken at home is very easy and requires minimal ingredients. Follow the steps below for a delicious meal that your family will love.
- 1 kg /2 lbs chicken wings
Chicken wings marinade
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon oil canola, sunflower, or olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 5 tablespoon soy sauce
To serve (optional)
- Green onions finely sliced
- Sesame seeds
Start by prepping the chicken wings. Trim off any excess fat and pat dry with paper towels.
In a medium bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients and whisk until combined. Add the chicken wings to the marinade and mix together until evenly coated. Cover with cling film or a lid, then let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
Preheat your oven to 200C/400F, then line a baking tray with parchment paper or foil. Place the chicken wings onto the baking tray and spread them out evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking.
Once cooked, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions (optional). Serve with your favorite side dishes such as rice or mashed potatoes.
– If you want the chicken wings extra crispy, turn up the heat to 220C/430F for a final 5 minutes of cooking time.
– For more flavor, add a teaspoon of grated ginger and/or a tablespoon of sesame oil to the marinade before adding in the chicken wings.
Soy Garlic Chicken Wings
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 bowl
- 1 knife
- 1 Oven
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce – Two and a half tablespoons of soy sauce adding a savory and umami flavor to the dish, providing a rich and salty note that complements the sweetness of the glaze.
- 1/2 tablespoon oil canola, sunflower, or olive oil – Half a tablespoon of oil, such as canola, sunflower, or olive oil, serving as a cooking medium, adding a light and subtle richness to the dish, and helping to achieve a crispy and golden exterior on the chicken wings.
- Green onions finely sliced – Green onions, finely sliced, offering a fresh and mild onion flavor to the dish, adding a vibrant and aromatic element that brightens up the flavors of the chicken wings.
- Sesame seeds – Sesame seeds sprinkled on top of the chicken wings, providing a nutty and toasty flavor, adding a delightful crunch and visual appeal to the dish.
- 2 1/2 cloves garlic minced – Two and a half cloves of garlic, minced, providing a pungent and aromatic flavor to the dish, infusing it with a savory and fragrant note that enhances the overall taste profile.
- 500 g / 1 lb chicken wings – Five hundred grams or one pound of chicken wings providing a juicy and tender meaty component to the dish, with a perfect balance of crispy skin and succulent meat.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey – One and a half tablespoons of brown sugar or honey adding a touch of sweetness to the dish, caramelizing the chicken wings and creating a deliciously sticky glaze.
- Start by prepping the chicken wings. Trim off any excess fat and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients and whisk until combined. Add the chicken wings to the marinade and mix together until evenly coated. Cover with cling film or a lid, then let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F, then line a baking tray with parchment paper or foil. Place the chicken wings onto the baking tray and spread them out evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes, flipping them over halfway through cooking.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions (optional). Serve with your favorite side dishes such as rice or mashed potatoes.
Calories: 390 kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.3g | Protein: 29.3g | Saturated Fat: 7g |Sugar: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 1006mg | Fat: 27.6g
What to serve with the soy garlic chicken?
Soy garlic chicken goes great with a variety of side dishes such as steamed rice, roasted vegetables, or mashed potatoes. You can also add a salad for some greens and extra nutrients.
How to store leftover soy garlic chicken?
You can store leftover soy garlic chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Place the chicken on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 200C/400F until warmed through to reheat.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can enjoy soy garlic chicken as long as the ingredients are fresh and properly cooked. Make sure to double-check all of your ingredients for expiration dates or signs of spoilage and always cook the chicken through until it is no longer pink.
What other proteins can I use for this recipe?
You can also use chicken thighs, drumsticks, or breasts. The marinade will work just as well with any type of protein.
Can I use light soy sauce in this recipe?
Yes, you can use light or dark soy sauce. Both will work just fine for the marinade.
Soy garlic chicken is a delicious and easy meal that comes together quickly with minimal effort. Serve this dish with your favorite side dishes for a weeknight dinner or weekend lunch.
Your family will love the flavors and textures of this dish. With just a few simple ingredients and plenty of flavor, you can have a tasty dinner on the table in no time! Try it out today and you won’t be disappointed. and don’t forget to share your feedback!
Sharing is Caring!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Hungarian Sour Cherry Soup (Meggy Leves)
- Juan pollo rotisserie chicken recipe
- Moroccan Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.