Last Updated on December 15, 2023
If you’re looking for a unique twist on a classic dessert, then look no further than strawberry mochi cake. This delicious treat is a combination of two of Japan’s most beloved desserts: mochi and strawberry cake.
Mochi is a soft, chewy rice cake made from pounded steamed rice, while strawberry cake is a light sponge cake filled with sweet, juicy strawberries.
Together, these two desserts create a truly unique and delicious treat that is sure to become a family favorite.
Table of Contents
What is Strawberry Mochi Cake?
Strawberry mochi cake is a layered dessert that combines the sweetness of a strawberry cake with the chewy texture of mochi. The cake is made by alternating layers of mochi and strawberry cake, which are then topped with a strawberry mochi glaze.
The result is a light and fluffy dessert that has the perfect balance of sweetness and chewiness. This delicious combination of flavors is sure to be a hit with everyone at your next party or gathering.
What does it Taste Like?
Strawberry mochi cake has a unique flavor that is both sweet and chewy. The mochi provides a soft and chewy texture that pairs perfectly with the light and fluffy strawberry cake.
The strawberry mochi glaze adds a sweet and tangy flavor that ties the entire cake together. The result is a dessert that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
You’ll also like the following Desserts recipes!
- Claire Saffitz Chocolate Chip Cookies
- How to Make Salted Nut Roll Shot Recipe
- Wegmans Chocolate Chip Cookie Copycat Recipe
Strawberry mochi cake is a simple dessert to make and requires just a few ingredients.
- Premium Mochiko Flour: Mochiko flour is made from glutinous or sweet rice, which gives the cake its characteristic chewy and sticky texture. The use of premium mochiko flour ensures an authentic touch, contributing to the traditional mochi consistency in the cake.
- Preferred Granulated Sugar or Monk Fruit Sweetener: Sugar adds sweetness, but the choice between granulated sugar and monk fruit sweetener provides flexibility. Monk fruit sweetener is mentioned for those seeking a refined, low-sugar twist. The sweetness enhances the overall flavor profile and balances the natural tartness of strawberries.
- Succulent Strawberries: Strawberries contribute both flavor and vibrant color to the cake. Whether fresh or thawed, they bring a natural sweetness and a burst of fruity freshness. The puree adds moisture and helps incorporate the strawberry essence evenly throughout the mochi batter.
- Velvety Almond Milk, Rich Regular Milk, or Pristine Water: The choice of liquid is crucial for achieving the desired texture. Almond milk or regular milk adds creaminess and depth of flavor, while water can keep the cake lighter. Having the liquid at room temperature ensures smooth blending and proper incorporation into the batter.
- Liquid Gold—Melted Coconut Oil or Light Olive Oil: The melted oil serves multiple purposes. It adds moisture, richness, and a subtle flavor to the cake. Coconut oil imparts a hint of tropical aroma, while light olive oil brings a sophisticated and mild taste. The “liquid gold” contributes to the overall indulgence and elevates the mochi batter to a higher level of gastronomic delight.
Making a strawberry mochi cake is easy and only requires a few simple steps.
Step 1: Prepare Strawberry Puree
a. Wash and hull the strawberries:
- Begin by washing a sufficient quantity of fresh strawberries thoroughly.
- Remove the green stems (hull) from each strawberry.
b. Puree the strawberries:
- Use a blender or food processor to puree the strawberries until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Ensure there are no chunks remaining.
c. Measure the puree:
- Once pureed, measure out precisely 4 oz (1/2 cup) of the strawberry puree for use in the recipe.
Step 2: Preheat the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease an 8×8-inch baking pan and line it with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Step 3: Mix Dry Ingredients
- In a mixing bowl, combine the premium mochiko flour and granulated sugar (or monk fruit sweetener).
- Thoroughly mix to ensure an even distribution of dry ingredients.
Step 4: Prepare Wet Ingredients
- In a separate bowl, combine the strawberry puree, almond milk (or your choice of milk or water), and melted coconut oil (or light olive oil).
- Stir the wet ingredients until they are well combined.
Step 5: Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the contents thoroughly until you achieve a smooth batter, making sure there are no lumps.
Step 6: Pour into Baking Pan
- Pour the mochi batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly to ensure uniform baking.
Step 7: Bake
- Place the baking pan in the preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 8: Cool
- Allow the Strawberry Mochi Cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 9: Cut and Serve
- Once cooled, cut the mochi cake into squares or your desired shapes.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious Strawberry Mochi Cake!
Making a strawberry mochi cake is easy, but there are a few tips that will help ensure the perfect cake every time.
• If the mochi pieces are too large, break them up into smaller pieces before layering them in the cake pan. This will help ensure that the mochi cooks evenly.
• Be sure not to over-mix the cake batter. Over-mixing the batter can result in a cake that is dense and heavy.
• Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan. This will ensure that the cake retains its shape and doesn’t fall apart.
• If the glaze is too thin, add a little more sugar to thicken it.
• To add extra flavor, you can add a few drops of almond extract to the cake batter or glaze.
Strawberry mochi cake is a delicious dessert that can be enjoyed as an occasional treat. Each slice of cake contains approximately
What to serve with Strawberry Mochi Cake?
Strawberry mochi cake is a delicious dessert that can be served with a variety of accompaniments. Here are some suggestions:
• Vanilla ice cream
• Fresh fruit
• Whipped cream
• Chocolate sauce
• Caramel sauce
• Coconut flakes
How to Store Leftover Strawberry Mochi Cake?
Leftover strawberry mochi cake should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to three days.
What other Substitute can I use in Strawberry Mochi Cake?
If you don’t have mochi or strawberry cake mix on hand, there are some other ingredients that can be used as substitutes. Here are some options:
• Rice flour: Rice flour can be substituted for mochi to create a similar texture.
• Angel food cake mix: Angel food cake mix can be substituted for strawberry cake mix to create a light and fluffy cake.
• Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt can be used instead of eggs to add moisture and flavor to the cake.
• Honey: Honey can be used instead of the strawberry glaze to add sweetness.
Strawberry Mochi Cake
- 4 cups of premium mochiko flour 262.5g crafted from heirloom sweet rice for an authentic touch
- 15 oz of succulent strawberries 339g, either freshly plucked or artfully thawed from the frost-kissed embrace of winter, rendering approximately 12 oz for a luscious 1 1/2 cups of strawberry puree
- 6 tablespoons of liquid gold—melted coconut oil 81g or the subtle sophistication of light olive oil, elevating your mochi batter to new heights of gastronomic delight
- 10.5 tablespoons of your preferred granulated sugar of choice 100.5g – consider artisanal monk fruit sweetener for a refined, low-sugar twist
- 1 cup of velvety almond milk rich regular milk, or pristine water (171g), perfectly attuned to room temperature for harmonious blending
Prepare Strawberry Puree:
- Wash and hull the strawberries.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the strawberries until smooth.
- Measure out 4 oz (1/2 cup) of the strawberry puree for the recipe.
Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Mix Dry Ingredients:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the premium mochiko flour and granulated sugar (or monk fruit sweetener). Mix well to ensure even distribution.
Prepare Wet Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, combine the strawberry puree, almond milk (or regular milk or water), and melted coconut oil (or light olive oil). Stir until well combined.
Combine Wet and Dry Ingredients:
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly until you have a smooth batter. Ensure there are no lumps.
Pour into Baking Pan:
- Pour the mochi batter into the prepared baking pan, spreading it evenly.
- Place the baking pan in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until the edges are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the Strawberry Mochi Cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cut and Serve:
- Once cooled, cut the mochi cake into squares or desired shapes. Serve and enjoy your delicious Strawberry Mochi Cake!
- If the mochi pieces are too large, break them up into smaller pieces before layering them in the cake pan. This will help ensure that the mochi cooks evenly.
- Be sure not to over-mix the cake batter. Over-mixing the batter can result in a cake that is dense and heavy.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan. This will ensure that the cake retains its shape and doesn’t fall apart.
- If the glaze is too thin, add a little more sugar to thicken it.
- To add extra flavor, you can add a few drops of almond extract to the cake batter or glaze.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze strawberry mochi cake?
Yes, strawberry mochi cake can be frozen for up to three months.
Can I use other types of glaze for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of glaze that you prefer.
Can I omit the eggs from this recipe?
Yes, you can omit the eggs and substitute with Greek yogurt or a plant-based egg substitute.
How do I know when the cake is done baking?
The cake is done baking when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Strawberry mochi cake is a delicious and unique dessert that is sure to become a family favorite. This sweet and chewy treat is easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients.
With its light and fluffy texture and sweet taste, this is one dessert that everyone will enjoy. So, why not give it a try and see what all the fuss is about