Last Updated on November 5, 2023
A Waffle House Patty Melt is a classic American dish that is sure to please any crowd! With just a few ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you can whip up delicious patty melts in no time.
Whether you’re looking for an alternative to burgers or a classic comfort food dish, the Waffle House Patty Melt is sure to be enjoyed by all. Give this a try today and enjoy every bite!
Here in this article, I will cover everything you need to know about the Waffle House Patty Melt, from what ingredients you’ll need to how to store it. We hope this article helps you recreate this classic dish in your own kitchen!
Table of Contents
What is Waffle House Patty Melt?
A Waffle House Patty Melt is a classic American sandwich that consists of a ground beef patty that is cooked in a skillet with onions and sandwiched between two pieces of rye bread.
The patty is then topped with melted Swiss and Cheddar cheese as well as Worcestershire sauce. This delicious dish was made popular by the American restaurant chain, Waffle House.
The combination of the juicy patty, crunchy rye bread, and gooey melted cheese is what makes this sandwich so irresistible.
The Worcestershire sauce adds a tanginess to the dish that perfectly balances out all of the flavors. It’s also very easy to make at home with just a few simple ingredients and steps!
What does it taste like?
The Waffle House Patty Melt has a classic burger flavor, but with an added sweetness from the caramelized onions and savory depth from the Worcestershire sauce.
The patty is succulent and juicy, while the rye bread adds a nice crunchy texture to contrast with the soft cheese. All of these flavors come together in one perfect bite for an unforgettable taste experience.
The combination of the juicy patty, crunchy rye bread, and gooey melted cheese is what really makes this sandwich so special. The Worcestershire sauce adds a nice tanginess to the dish that perfectly complements all of the other flavors.
How did I first get introduced to the Waffle House Patty Melt?
I remember it like it was yesterday. I was out with friends for dinner at the Waffle House, and we were all hungry and looking forward to a tasty meal.
As we browsed the menu, my eyes lit up when I saw the Waffle House Patty Melt. It immediately caught my attention because of its classic American burger flavor combined with rye bread and melted cheese.
I knew I had to try it, so I ordered it without hesitation. When the plate arrived at our table, my expectations were exceeded!
The patty was juicy and flavorful, while the rye bread added a nice crunchy texture to contrast with the soft cheese. And of course, the Worcestershire sauce added an extra layer of tanginess that really balanced out the flavors.
I was so impressed with how delicious it tasted, I immediately began to recreate it at home. With just a few simple ingredients and steps, I could easily make my own Waffle House Patty Melt in no time!
Since then, I’ve been hooked on this classic American dish and often make it for special occasions and family dinners.
The Waffle House Patty Melt is truly a classic American dish that I will always cherish. It’s perfect for any occasion and is sure to be enjoyed by all. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend giving it a try! You won’t regret it!
How to make Waffle House Patty Melt?
Making your own Waffle House Patty Melt at home is very easy and requires just a few simple ingredients and steps. Here’s what you need:
You can also read the following appetizer recipes:
- Mexene Chili Powder Copycat Recipe
- Gordon Ramsay’s Ratatouille Copycat Recipe
- Footprints Rasta Pasta Copycat Recipe
- Ground beef: this is the base ingredient of the patty melt. It should be at least 80/20 fat content for optimal flavor and texture.
- Rye bread or any sandwich bread: this acts as a binder between the patty and the cheese, adding an extra layer of crunch to the final dish.
- Onions: these are diced fine and cooked until caramelized. They add a sweet flavor to the patty melt, as well as a bit of texture.
- Unsalted butter or mayonnaise: both can be used to spread onto one side of each slice of bread before assembling the burger. The fat from either will help crisp up the exterior while keeping it moist and juicy on the inside.
- Black pepper, kosher salt, Worcestershire sauce: these all add flavor and depth to the patty melt.
- Swiss cheese: this is traditionally used in a patty melt. It adds a nutty flavor that contrasts with the sweetness of the onions and rye bread.
- Cheddar cheese: this is optional but it can be used for an extra layer of cheesy goodness.
Form the patty:
Take the ground beef and shape it into a patty, about ¾ inch thick. Sprinkle both sides of the patty with kosher salt and black pepper.
Cook the patty:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the patty to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side (or until desired doneness). Once cooked to your liking, remove the patty from the skillet and set aside.
Caramelize the onions:
In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter or mayonnaise and allow it to melt. Add in the diced onions and cook for 8 minutes or until caramelized. Set aside.
Assemble the patty melt:
Take 4 slices of rye bread and spread 1 tablespoon of butter or mayonnaise on one side of each slice. Place a cooked patty on top of two slices, followed by the cooked onions and both cheeses. Top with the remaining two slices of bread, butter/mayo side down.
Cook the patty melt:
In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter or mayonnaise over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the assembled patty melts to the pan and cook for 3 minutes per side (or until golden brown.) Turn off the heat and serve immediately.
– If you don’t have rye bread, any sandwich bread will do.
– Make sure to season the patty generously with salt and pepper for maximum flavor.
– Topping the patty melt with a few slices of pickles adds a nice crunch and tanginess.
– Covering the skillet while cooking helps keep in all of the steam and ensures an even cook.
– If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding a few strips of bacon for extra flavor and crunch.
Waffle House Patty Melt Recipe
- large skillet
- Medium sized bowl
- Cutting Board
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt enhancing the overall seasoning and flavor profile
- 2 tablespoons of premium unsalted butter or creamy mayonnaise chosen for its rich and velvety consistency
- Freshly grated Cheddar cheese adjust the amount based on your preference for a sharp and tangy flavor infusion
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground Tellicherry black pepper adding a bold and aromatic note to the burger
- 3/8 cup of finely diced onions adding a sweet and aromatic element to the burger
- Freshly grated Swiss cheese adjust the amount based on your preference for a creamy and nutty flavor addition
- 1/2 pound of premium ground beef carefully sourced from grass-fed cattle for a rich and flavorful patty
- 4 slices of artisanal rye bread or any freshly baked sandwich bread selected for its hearty and robust texture
- 1/2 package of Worcestershire sauce carefully measured to lend a savory and umami depth to the burger
- Take the ground beef and shape it into a patty, about ¾ inch thick. Sprinkle both sides of the patty with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the patty to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side (or until desired doneness). Once cooked to your liking, remove the patty from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter or mayonnaise and allow it to melt. Add in the diced onions and cook for 8 minutes or until caramelized. Set aside.
- Take 4 slices of rye bread and spread 1 tablespoon of butter or mayonnaise on one side of each slice. Place a cooked patty on top of two slices, followed by the cooked onions and both cheeses. Top with the remaining two slices of bread, butter/mayo side down.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter or mayonnaise over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the assembled patty melts to the pan and cook for 3 minutes per side (or until golden brown.) Turn off the heat and serve immediately.
Calories: 454 kcal
Fat: 24.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 29.4 grams
Protein: 28.3 grams
Sodium: 751 milligrams
Cholesterol: 77 milligrams
Fiber: 2.1 grams
What to serve with Waffle House Patty Melt?
The Waffle House Patty Melt is a hearty and filling dish that pairs well with a variety of sides. Here are some great options to serve alongside your patty melt:
– Creamy potato salad
– Crispy fries
– A freshly made garden salad
– Baked beans
– Sauteed mushrooms
– Sweet potato wedges
– Grilled asparagus
– Roasted cauliflower
How to store leftover Waffle House Patty Melt?
Try to have it all eaten up in one sitting, but if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and keep them refrigerated for up to 3 days.
They can also be frozen for up to 1 month. To reheat the patty melts, simply place them in a skillet over medium-high heat until heated through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
It is not recommended for pregnant women to eat the Waffle House Patty Melt. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F or higher in order to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses, which may be a risk during pregnancy.
Pregnant women can enjoy other menu items at the Waffle House that are cooked at safe temperatures.
What is the best cheese for a Waffle House Patty Melt?
Swiss and cheddar cheese are the most popular cheeses used in patty melts. Both provide a nutty flavor that pairs nicely with the sweetness of caramelized onions. The addition of cheddar can add an extra layer of cheesy goodness.
How do you make a patty melt crispy?
A patty melt can be made crispy by spreading butter or mayonnaise on the exterior of each slice of bread before assembling the sandwich. This helps to crisp up the outside while keeping it moist and juicy on the inside.
Can I use a different type of meat for this dish?
Yes, you can substitute ground beef with other types of ground meats such as turkey or chicken. However, be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Thank you for reading! With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can easily recreate the mouthwatering Waffle House Patty Melt at home. It’s perfect for any occasion and is sure to be enjoyed by all. Serve it up with some sides of your choice and enjoy!
I hope this guide was helpful to you in making your own Waffle House Patty Melt. Please share this article with your friends and family who love the Waffle House!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!