Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Welsh cookies scranton are a traditional Welsh treat dating back centuries. This recipe has been adapted from an 18th-century recipe and uses simple ingredients to create a truly delicious treat that you will not soon forget. With its sweet currants, warm spices, and buttery flavor, it is perfect for a snack or dessert.
Now, in this recipe guide we are going to show you how to make Welsh cookies scranton.
Table of Contents
What are Welsh cookies scranton?
Welsh cookies scranton are a traditional Welsh cookie, usually made with flour, butter, sugar, eggs and dried currants. These cookies have been around for centuries and are believed to have originated in the 14th century. The Welsh call these cookies Cacen Gri or Cake Griddle (Gryd Gâcen) which translates to Griddle Cakes. Welsh cookies are usually round in shape and about 1-2 inches in diameter.
What does it taste like ?
Welsh cookies scranton has a sweet and nutty flavor that comes from the combination of butter, sugar, currants and spices. The currants add a slight tartness while the spices add warmth and depth to the flavor.
How did I first get introduced to welsh cookies scranton?
I was first introduced to Welsh Cookies Scranton when my grandmother took me to a local bakery in Scranton, Pennsylvania. She said these cookies were her favorite and I should give them a try. So, I hesitantly took one from the window of the shop and bit into it. It was immediately love at first bite! The sweet flavor of dried currants, combined with the buttery texture of the cookie, was absolutely delicious.
From that moment on, I’ve been hooked and have made it my mission to make sure everyone gets a taste of these wonderful Welsh cookies! So I asked my grandmother for its recipe and have been making Welsh cookies Scranton ever since. Every time I make them, it takes me back to that moment in the bakery when I first experienced this delicious treat!
If you’ve never had a Welsh cookie scranton before, then trust me – they are worth trying. From their sweet flavor to their soft texture, these Welsh cookies are a treat that you won’t soon forget! So why not give them a try today. And if you want to recreate the experience I had with my grandmother, then make sure to get your ingredients from Scranton and enjoy these Welsh cookies in all their glory!
How to make welsh cookies scranton?
Making Welsh Cookies Scranton is actually quite simple. All you need is to gather all the ingredients before you start cooking.
You May Also Like These Dessert Recipes:
- Cracker Barrel Baking Mix Copycat Recipes
- Quarterback Crunch Ice Cream Copycat Recipe
- Wegmans Chocolate Chip Cookie Copycat Recipe
- whole wheat flour : This type of flour is made from the whole grain, giving it a nutty flavor and higher nutritional value.
- baking powder : A dry leavening ingredient that helps baked goods rise.
- nutmeg: An aromatic ground spice used to add flavor to baking recipes.
- kosher salt: A coarse-grained salt used for seasoning and in baking.
- unsalted butter : Butter with no added salt; used for baking recipes that call for unsalted butter.
- brown sugar : A type of sugar made with molasses, giving it a darker color and distinct flavor.
- sugar: Granulated white sugar used for sweetening recipes.
- Zante currants : A dried grape often used in baking.
- eggs: Commonly used binding ingredients in baking recipes.
- whole milk: Milk with a high fat content; can be replaced with non-fat milk for a healthier version.
Step by step instructions
Step 1 :
Preheat the electric griddle to 350 F.
Step 2 :
In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until little pea sized pieces form.
Step 3 :
Add sugar and currants and mix well with your hands or spoon. Add eggs and milk and mix until combined; do not overmix.
Step 4 :
Roll dough into a ball and place onto a floured surface. Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick and cut circles with a biscuit cutter or any round shaped object like a cup.
Step 5 :
Place cookies on the preheated griddle, being sure to leave enough room between them for expansion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.
Step 6 :
Remove from heat and let cool.
- This recipe yields approximately 30 cookies depending on the size of your cutter.
- Leftover dough can be rerolled to make more cookies. Store in an airtight container up to a week.
Welsh Cookies Scranton Recipe
- pastry blender
- Electric Griddle
- Rolling Pin
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter or margarine
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Zante currants
- 2 tbsp whole milk (Non-fat or low fat milk will also work)
- Preheat the electric griddle to a sizzling 350°F.
- Gently mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Utilize a pastry blender to cut in butter until it forms small pea-sized pieces.
- Incorporate sugar and currants into the mixture with your hands or spoon. Stir in eggs and milk until combined, but be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Form a ball from the mixture and place it on a floured surface. Roll out to approximately 1/4 inch thick and use either a biscuit cutter or any circular item like a cup to shape your cookies.
- Arrange the cookies onto the preheated griddle, leaving adequate room for them to spread out. Cook for 2-3 minutes until they are a lovely golden brown in color.
- Take the cookies off the heat and place them on some parchment paper to cool down.
Amount per Serving Calories 341%
Daily Value* Fat 34g 52%
Saturated Fat 7g 44%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 16 G
Cholesterol 110mg 37%
Sodium 1992mg 87%
Potassium 283 mg 8%
Carbohydrates 68g 23%
Fiber 2g 8% Sugar 33g 37%
Protein 9g 18%
Vitamin A1522IU 30%
Vitamin C1 mg 1%
Calcium 310mg 31%
Iron 4mg 22%
What to serve with welsh cookies scranton?
Welsh cookies scranton are perfect with a cup of warm tea or coffee. They can also be served as part of an afternoon snack, or as a dessert with a scoop of ice cream. Additionally, these cookies can be used to make delicious ice cream sandwiches – just add a scoop of your favorite flavor and you’re good to go!
How to store leftover welsh cookies scranton?
Leftover Welsh cookies scranton can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week. To keep them fresh, make sure they are completely cooled before storing and away from humidity or dampness. Alternatively, you can freeze them in a freezer-safe bag or container – just be sure to defrost them before eating!
Can pregnant women eat this ?
Yes, pregnant women can eat Welsh cookies scranton. As long as the ingredients are of good quality and freshly prepared, there should be no issue with eating this cookie. However, it is always best to consult your doctor before consuming any type of food during pregnancy.
Can Welsh cookies scranton be frozen ?
Yes, Welsh cookies scranton can be frozen for up to three months. Just make sure they are stored in a freezer-safe bag or container and defrosted before eating.
How long will Welsh cookies scranton keep fresh?
Welsh cookies scranton will keep fresh for up to one week when stored in an airtight container.
Can I use a different type of flour?
Yes, you can use any type of all-purpose or whole wheat flour in this recipe. Just bear in mind that the texture and flavor may vary depending on the type of flour you use.
Can I replace the currants with raisins or other dried fruit ?
Yes, you can replace the currants with any type of dried fruit that you like. Raisins, cranberries and blueberries all work well in this recipe.
Can I make these gluten-free?
Yes, it is possible to make Welsh cookies scranton gluten-free. Just substitute the regular flour with a gluten-free all purpose flour blend, and ensure that all of the other ingredients are certified gluten-free.
Are Welsh Cookies Scranton healthy?
Welsh cookies scranton contain whole wheat flour, so they are slightly healthier than traditional chocolate chip cookies. However, they are still high in fat and sugar, so it is best to enjoy them in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
I don’t have a griddle – can I make these cookies on a skillet?
Yes, you can use a cast iron or non-stick skillet instead of an electric griddle for this recipe. Simply preheat the skillet to 350 F, and follow the same instructions as above. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly, depending on how hot your skillet gets. Also be sure to use a non-stick spray or butter before placing the cookies onto the surface of the skillet.
All in all, Welsh cookies scranton is a delicious and deceptively simple cookie that anyone can make. With its sweet flavor and nutty texture, it is sure to be a hit with your family and friends! So why not give it a try today? And if you’re looking for an extra special treat, try adding a scoop of your favorite ice cream and make it into an ice cream sandwich!
Hope you have found this recipe helpful! If you have any queries or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We are always happy to hear from you!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!