Last Updated on November 6, 2023
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is a classic Southern delicacy that has been passed down for generations. It’s a flavorful and savory dish made by simmering pork chitterlings.
This hearty appetizer is sure to be an instant hit at any gathering. The best part about this? It’s easy to make and can be prepared in advance.
All you need is the right ingredients. With this step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to whip up Aunt Bessie’s mouthwatering Chitterlings Recipe in no time! So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings?
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is a classic Southern dish that has been passed down for generations. It is made with pork Chitterlings (also known as “chitlins”).
The dish was first popularized by Aunt Bessie, a company founded in the early 20th century by an African-American entrepreneur. The company’s mission was to provide high-quality, traditionally prepared chitterlings with an emphasis on taste and convenience.
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings has become a beloved part of Southern cuisine, with many people enjoying it as a tasty holiday treat or appetizer. It’s a great dish for any gathering or family dinner!
What does it taste like?
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings has a slightly sweet and savory flavor with hints of garlic and onion. The pork chitterlings are cooked until tender, allowing all the flavors to meld together for a delicious combination.
The dish also has a slight kick from the addition of red pepper flakes, giving it an extra punch of flavor. All these flavors come together to create a unique and flavorful dish that is sure to be a hit!
You Might Also Like These Appetizer Recipes!
- Chili’s Street Corn Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Japanese Chicken Nuggets
- Recipe for Italian Pepper Biscuits
How did I first get introduced to Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings?
I was first introduced to Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings when I was living in the South. As a child, my family would make this dish for special occasions like holidays and birthdays. The flavor of chitterlings is unlike any other food out there, and I have always loved it!
The has been passed down through the generations, and I’m thrilled to be able to carry on this tradition. The chitterlings are simmered in a flavorful mixture of onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes until they are perfectly tender.
Making Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is an enjoyable experience for me. Not only do I get to make a delicious dish, but I also get to share a bit of the South’s culture with my family. It’s something that I have enjoyed doing for many years, and it never gets old!
I also love making chitterlings because it is an economical dish. The ingredients are inexpensive and easy to find, so you can make a large batch without spending too much money.
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is an amazing dish to share with family and friends. The flavor is unique and delightful, not to mention it’s an incredibly affordable meal option! I love making this dish and look forward to carrying on the tradition for many more years to come.
How to make Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings?
Making Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is easy with the right ingredients and directions. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Frozen chitterlings: This is the main star of the dish. Make sure to thaw them before cooking and clean them thoroughly!
- Onion: This adds a nice flavor to the chitterlings.
- Salt: For seasoning.
- Garlic: Adds a little bit of extra flavor.
- Red pepper flakes: A bit of heat for those who want it!
Thaw and Clean the Chitterlings
The first step in this is to thaw and clean the chitterlings. Make sure to thaw them slowly in the refrigerator overnight, or you can use cold water if needed. Once they are thawed, rinse them thoroughly under running water and inspect for any remaining dirt or debris. Discard any that look questionable.
Cook the Chitterlings
Once the chitterlings are clean, place them in a large pot and cover them with water. Add the onion, salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 hours or until tender. Make sure to check the water level periodically and add more if needed.
Serve the Chitterlings
Once the chitterlings are cooked, drain any remaining liquid and let them cool slightly before serving. Serve with a side of your favorite vegetables or rice.
-Make sure to thaw the chitterlings slowly in the refrigerator overnight.
-Be sure to inspect and discard any chitterlings that look questionable.
-For an extra kick, add a tablespoon of hot sauce to the pot when cooking.
Aunt Bessie Chitterlings Recipe
- a large pot
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes carefully measured to provide a hint of spicy and smoky heat, adding a zesty kick that complements the richness of the chitterlings.
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic skillfully prepared to release its pungent and savory essence, infusing the chitterlings with a delightful aroma and depth of flavor.
- 1 teaspoon of salt thoughtfully measured to bring out the natural flavors of the chitterlings, ensuring a well-seasoned and balanced dish.
- 1/2 onion roughly chopped into robust and aromatic pieces, adding a savory and fragrant note that enhances the overall flavor profile of the chitterlings.
- 5 pounds of tender and flavorful frozen chitterlings carefully thawed and meticulously cleaned, ensuring a rich and succulent taste in the final dish.
- Thaw and Clean the Chitterlings The first step in this is to thaw and clean the chitterlings. Make sure to thaw them slowly in the refrigerator overnight, or you can use cold water if needed. Once they are thawed, rinse them thoroughly under running water and inspect for any remaining dirt or debris. Discard any that look questionable.
- Cook the Chitterlings Once the chitterlings are clean, place them in a large pot and cover them with water. Add the onion, salt, garlic, and red pepper flakes to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3 hours or until tender. Make sure to check the water level periodically and add more if needed.
- Serve the Chitterlings Once the chitterlings are cooked, drain any remaining liquid and let them cool slightly before serving. Serve with a side of your favorite vegetables or rice.
- Calories: 312 kcal
- Fat: 27g
- Carbs: 1g
- Protein: 17g
What to serve with Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings?
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is a flavorful and savory dish that pairs well with many sides. Here are some of my favorites:
-Baked Macaroni and Cheese
-Fried Green Tomatoes
How to store leftover Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings?
Leftover chitterlings can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in a pot with a bit of water or broth and heat over medium-low heat until warmed through.
For longer storage, chitterlings can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can eat chitterlings as long as they are cooked properly. As with all food, it is important to make sure that the dish is cooked thoroughly and stored properly.
It is also recommended that pregnant women speak to their doctor before eating any type of pork product.
What are the health benefits of this dish?
Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings is a tasty and nutritious dish. Pork chitterlings are high in protein, which can help to keep you full for longer periods of time. They also contain several vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy choice.
Can I make it in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can definitely make Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings in a slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours or until the chitterlings are tender.
Can I customize it?
Yes, you can customize Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings to fit your own tastes. You can add different vegetables such as carrots or celery, or you could try adding some hot sauce for an extra kick of heat. Experiment and see what combination works best for you!
Is there a vegetarian version of this dish?
Yes, there are several vegetarian versions of this dish. Try substituting the pork chitterlings with tempeh, seitan, or mushrooms. For added flavor, you could also add diced vegetables such as onions and garlic.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings. This dish has been passed down through generations and is a beloved staple in many households.
Whether you are looking for a delicious meal option or just an interesting way to try something new, this dish is sure to please! With its unique flavor and economical ingredients, it is definitely worth giving this classic dish a try.
Please share this article so your friends and family can learn about this amazing dish as well!