Last Updated on August 19, 2023
If you are new to learning about the popular dish, Barefoot Contessa turkey chili is a delicious meal that originates from the United States. It consists of ground turkey cooked with various ingredients and spices. As an added bonus, this recipe also includes different beans for extra protein.
In addition, Barefoot Contessa turkey chili is a low-carb and gluten-free dish. This makes it an ideal meal for people who are following a specific diet plan or those looking for healthier options. If you are looking for a tasty and nutritious meal, this is the recipe for you!
So, are you interested to learn how to make this recipe? Then read on to find out!
Table of Contents
What Is barefoot contessa turkey chili?
Barefoot Contessa turkey chili is a hearty and flavorful meal that consists of ground turkey cooked with vegetables, spices, and beans.
This dish is incredibly popular in the United States and can be served as a stand-alone dish or accompanied by other sides. It is a healthier alternative to traditional beef chili and is packed with protein.
However, this dish has a unique taste that is a little bit different from the traditional American chili. It has a distinctly sweet and savory flavor due to its special combination of ingredients.
Where Did I First Try barefoot contessa turkey chili?
Immediately after I saw the website of Barefoot Contessa, I was intrigued. I had always been a fan of chili and was eager to try something new. So one day, when I had some time on my hands, I decided to give it a shot.
I started by gathering all the ingredients that were listed on the website. As soon as I had everything ready, I started cooking.
As soon as the recipe was done, I added some chopped parsley leaves just before serving. After that first bite, I knew that Barefoot Contessa’s turkey chili had become a part of my regular meal rotation.
The combination of sweet and savory flavors was simply amazing and the addition of beans made it even more satisfying. It was definitely something I wanted to make again!
This experience inspired me to try out other recipes from the website as well. As of now, I’ve graduated from being a beginner cook to an experienced home chef and I have Barefoot Contessa’s turkey chili recipe to thank for that!
I would recommend this recipe to anyone looking for an easy, yet delicious dish. It’s incredibly simple to make and is packed with flavor. Plus, it’s a healthier alternative to traditional beef chili. So if you want to try something new, give this recipe a shot – I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed!
You can also read the following lunch Recipes:
- Sari-sari filipino food
- Recipe for Texas Roadhouse Prime Rib Au Jus
- Recipe of Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad
- Olive oil: It will enhance the flavor of the onions and peppers when cooking. And, it is a healthier option when compared to butter.
- Red bell pepper: It adds a subtle sweetness and crunchiness to the dish. The red bell peppers are also packed with vitamin C and fiber.
- Yellow Bell Pepper: This is another great way to add some flavor and texture to the chili. Its mild flavor will contrast nicely with the other ingredients in the dish.
- Crushed tomatoes in puree: These will provide the chili with a thick and creamy texture as well as a tangy flavor. It is important to buy crushed tomatoes that are in puree for this recipe.
- Kidney Beans: This type of bean is packed with protein, fiber, and vitamins. They will also add some creaminess to the chili and help thicken it up.
- Black Beans: Like kidney beans, black beans will provide some extra protein and nutrition to this dish. They also have a slightly nutty flavor that pairs nicely with other ingredients in the recipe.
- Garlic: This is an important ingredient in many recipes because of its distinct flavor and aroma. Garlic also has many health benefits, such as aiding in digestion and reducing inflammation.
- Chili Powder: This is a blend of spices that is used to add flavor to the chili. It typically includes red pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Cumin: Cumin will give the chili a warm and earthy flavor. It is also known for its health benefits, such as aiding in digestion and providing anti-inflammatory properties.
- Kosher Salt: This type of salt adds a subtle flavor to the dish without making it too salty. It is important to use kosher salt because table salt has more sodium per teaspoon.
- Freshly ground black pepper: This is an essential ingredient that will add a bit of heat and spice to the chili.
- Dried red pepper flakes: These will provide a mild spiciness to the dish. You can adjust the amount depending on how spicy you want it to be.
- Paprika: Adding some paprika to the chili will give it a smoky flavor.
- Dried oregano: This herb adds an earthy and slightly bitter flavor to the dish. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ground turkey: By using ground turkey instead of beef, you are lowering the fat and calorie content of this dish.
- Fresh parsley leaves: This will add a pop of color to the dish. It is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties and provides an earthy flavor.
Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers, and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, and oregano to the pot. Cook for 1 minute more.
Add in the ground turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the turkey is cooked through.
Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, and black beans. Bring the chili to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or until thickened.
Add parsley just before serving. You can also serve it with shredded cheese, sour cream, and diced onions as desired.
• Toast the spices for a few seconds before adding them to the dish. This will bring out their flavor and aroma even more.
• Taste test after each step in order to make sure that there is enough seasoning going into the chili.
• Serve this turkey chili with your favorite side dishes such as roasted vegetables or a salad. This will make a complete and nutritious meal.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
• If you don’t have red or yellow bell peppers, you can also use green bell peppers. So that you can get the flavor and crunch that these vegetables provide.
• If you don’t have dried oregano, you can substitute it with Italian seasoning or fresh oregano leaves.
• If you want a spicier chili, feel free to add more red pepper flakes or swap out the chili powder for something hotter such as cayenne pepper.
Barefoot Contessa Turkey Chili Recipe
- Large Bowl
- Dutch oven
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes in puree
- 15 ounce kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, and oregano to the pot. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add in the ground turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the turkey is cooked through.
- Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, and black beans. Bring the chili to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Add parsley just before serving. You can also serve it with shredded cheese, sour cream, and diced onions as desired.
- Toast the spices for a few seconds before adding them to the dish. This will bring out their flavor and aroma even more.
- Taste test after each step in order to make sure that there is enough seasoning going into the chili.
- Serve this turkey chili with your favorite side dishes such as roasted vegetables or a salad. This will make a complete and nutritious meal.
Serving size: 1 cup (150g)
- Calories: 172 kcal
- Total Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Sodium: 576mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.3g
- Sugars: 5.3g
- Protein: 13.3g
How to Store Leftover Barefoot Contessa turkey chili recipe?
Leftover chili should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. To freeze it, transfer the chili to an airtight container or a freezer bag. Make sure that you label and date it so that you know when it was made. It will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, this recipe is safe for pregnant women to eat. However, it’s best to check with your doctor to see if they have any specific dietary recommendations for you.
Can I make this vegetarian?
Yes, you can easily make this dish vegetarian by omitting ground turkey and adding more beans instead. This will give the chili a hearty and satisfying texture without the added meat.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this dish in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days or freeze it for up to three months. Reheat before serving.
Can I make this recipe on the stovetop?
Yes, you can make this recipe on the stovetop. Simply follow the instructions as normal, but cook it over medium-low heat instead.
So, do you think you can make this dish at home? It is very easy and quick to prepare, plus it is a great way to get your daily dose of protein and fiber. Once you try this Barefoot Contessa turkey chili recipe, you won’t be able to go back!
Have fun experimenting with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique chili dish. Plus, you can make a big batch of it and enjoy leftovers throughout the week. Also, it’s a great dish to bring to potlucks or other gatherings. So, why not give this tasty recipe a go?
Make sure to share this recipe with your family and friends, so they can enjoy it too! Thank you for taking the time to read this article.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!