Last Updated on November 25, 2023
Bordeaux Cookie is a popular French cookie. It’s made with a combination of almond flour, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder. The result is a tender cookie with a distinct flavor from the almond and cocoa flavors.
It is widely enjoyed as an accompaniment to coffee or hot chocolate for centuries in Europe. The texture of the cookies is delicate and crumbly, with a light dusting of powdered sugar.
However, you can easily make these cookies in your own kitchen. To learn everything about it, check out this content till the end.
Table of Contents
What is Bordeaux Cookie?
Bordeaux cookies are known for their distinctive flavor, which is a mix of almond and cocoa. The sugar adds sweetness while the cocoa imparts a slight bitterness that perfectly balances out the cookie’s overall flavor.
These cookies are also known for their distinct texture. The cookie is both crumbly and tender, with a light dusting of powdered sugar to give it a unique look. Bordeaux Cookies have become popular around the world as an accompaniment to coffee or hot chocolate.
What does it taste like?
Bordeaux Cookie has a distinct flavor that is a combination of almond and cocoa flavors. The cookie is tender yet crumbly, with a light dusting of powdered sugar to finish off the crisp exterior. It’s slightly sweet but not overly sweet, making it a great accompaniment to coffee, tea, or hot chocolate.
How did I first get introduced to Bordeaux Cookie?
I was introduced to Bordeaux Cookie when I visited France and tasted one at a cafe. It was love at first bite! The unique flavor combination of almond and cocoa was something that I had never experienced before.
At that time, I decided to try making them at home and the rest is history. I have since perfected my recipe and now I make them often for family and friends!
How do you make Bordeaux Cookie?
Making Bordeaux cookies is easy! All you need is a few simple ingredients and some time in the kitchen. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Unsalted Butter (at Room Temperature): Unsalted butter serves as a foundational ingredient in the Bordeaux cookie recipe. It provides richness, flavor, and contributes to the texture of the cookies.
- Powdered Sugar: Powdered sugar sweetens the cookies and contributes to their delicate texture. Its fine texture helps create a smooth and uniform cookie dough. Powdered sugar is often preferred in cookie recipes for its ability to dissolve easily into the mixture.
- Milk: Milk adds moisture to the cookie dough, ensuring a tender and chewy texture. It also contributes to the overall richness of the cookies.
- Cocoa Powder: Cocoa powder provides the rich chocolate flavor characteristic of Bordeaux cookies. It is a key ingredient for achieving the distinct taste and appearance of these cookies.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is a leavening agent that helps the cookies rise and achieve a light and airy texture. It contributes to the overall structure of the cookies.
- Salt: Salt enhances the overall flavor of the cookies, balancing the sweetness and intensifying other flavors.
- Almond Flour: Almond flour adds a nutty flavor and a moist, crumbly texture to the Bordeaux cookies. It also contributes to the cookies’ unique and slightly sandy consistency.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Slowly add in the milk while beating. Sift together the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into the creamed mixture and mix until evenly combined.
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut it into circles with a cookie cutter or glass.
Place the cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving enough space between each one.
Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
– For crispier cookies, bake for an additional few minutes.
– If you prefer chewy cookies, reduce the baking time by a few minutes.
– Adding some crushed nuts or chocolate chips to the dough can add extra flavor and texture.
Bordeaux Cookie Recipe
- Medium Bowl
- baking sheet
- 1/2 tablespoon of cocoa powder infusing a rich and decadent chocolate flavor to the dough
- 1 tablespoon of milk adding a touch of moisture and richness to the dough
- 1 pinch of salt enhancing the overall flavors and balancing the sweetness
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature providing a creamy and luxurious base for the cookies
- 1 cup of almond flour adding a nutty and delicate taste to the cookies
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder ensuring a light and fluffy texture in the cookies
- 3/4 cup of powdered sugar bringing a delicate sweetness and light texture to the cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the milk while beating. Sift together the almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into the creamed mixture and mix until evenly combined.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut it into circles with a cookie cutter or glass.
- Place the cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving enough space between each one.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
What to serve with Bordeaux Cookie?
Bordeaux cookies can be served as a dessert on their own or paired with fresh fruit, ice cream, yogurt, or whipped cream for a tasty treat. They can also be used as an accompaniment to tea or coffee. Also, they are perfect for a quick snack on the go.
How to store leftover Bordeaux cookies?
Leftover Bordeaux cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. Besides, they can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can eat Bordeaux Cookies as long as they are cooked properly and not expired. However, it is high in sugar and should be consumed in moderation. Additionally, pregnant women should make sure that the butter used is unsalted and of high quality.
Can I add other ingredients to my Bordeaux cookies?
Yes, you can add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the dough for extra flavor and texture.
Are Bordeaux cookies suitable for children?
Yes, Bordeaux cookies are suitable for children. Due to the high sugar content, however, it is best to serve them in moderation. Additionally, make sure that the butter used is unsalted and of high quality.
Can Bordeaux cookies be made vegan?
Yes, Bordeaux cookies can be made vegan by substituting the butter with a vegan alternative such as coconut oil or avocado oil. Additionally, you may substitute the milk with plant-based alternatives such as almond or oat milk.
Is Bordeaux cookies gluten free?
Yes, Bordeaux cookies can be made gluten free by using almond flour instead of regular all-purpose flour. Additionally, make sure to use certified gluten-free baking powder for the best results.
How long do Bordeaux cookies stay fresh?
Bordeaux cookies will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for up to one week. Alternatively, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Bordeaux Cookies are a delicious and easy-to-make treat. With the right ingredients and step-by-step instructions, you can easily make these delectable cookies at home. They can be served as a dessert or snack with coffee or tea.
Thanks for reading this article on Bordeaux Cookies recipe! We hope you found it helpful. Please share this article with your friends and family if you enjoyed it.