Last Updated on November 6, 2023
Take your taste buds south of the border with this deliciously spicy jalapeno tree green sauce. This is the perfect accompaniment to any Mexican dish or as a dip for chips and tacos.
This sauce is sure to become a favorite in your household! Enjoy the spicy flavors of this jalapeno tree green sauce recipe that will have you coming back for more!
In this article, we will provide you with the ingredients and step-by-step instructions to make this tasty sauce from scratch.
Table of Contents
What is Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce?
Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce is a delicious and spicy sauce that originated from the famous Jalapeno Tree Restaurant in Texas. This restaurant has been serving up some of the best Mexican cuisine in the Lone Star State since 1976.
The signature Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce has become a favorite amongst customers for its flavorful blend of spices and peppers.
The original recipe for the famed Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce contains jalapeños, cilantro, mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, salsa verde (tomatillo salsa), garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
What does it taste like?
The combination of jalapeños and cilantro give this sauce a classic Mexican flavor that is both spicy and tangy. The sour cream helps to mellow out the heat from the jalapeños while adding a creamy texture and subtle tartness.
The salsa verde adds an earthy, smoky flavor to the sauce that rounds it all out. The garlic and onion powder adds a savory depth to the sauce, while the salt and pepper give it balance.
The result is a flavorful and spicy sauce that pairs perfectly with chips, tacos, burritos, or any Mexican-inspired dish. It’s sure to become your go-to condiment for all your favorite dishes!
How did I first get introduced to the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce?
I first heard about the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce while visiting my friend in Texas. She had recently returned from a trip to the famous Jalapeno Tree Restaurant and was raving about their famous green sauce. I was intrigued and wanted to try it for myself, so off we went!
When we arrived at the restaurant, I could immediately smell the tantalizing aroma of the jalapenos and spices. I was eager to dig in, but first, we placed our order for a few tacos with the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce. Then, it was time to wait.
Finally, our order arrived and I could hardly contain my excitement! The tacos were loaded with fresh cilantro, juicy tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and a generous portion of the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce. The combination of flavors was mouth-watering!
I savored every bite and knew that I had to recreate this delicious sauce for myself. So, after some research, I set out to make my own version of the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce at home.
After some tweaking and perfecting, I recreated the same delicious flavor that I had enjoyed at the restaurant. Now my family and friends can enjoy this tasty sauce too! It’s become such a hit in our house, that we rarely go a week without making it.
If you’re looking for a flavorful condiment to spruce up your favorite dishes, give this Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce a try! You won’t be disappointed.
How to make Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce?
Making the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce at home is a breeze! All you need are a handful of everyday ingredients & follow the steps:
You can also read the following Sauces Recipes:
- Del Taco Secret Sauce Copycat Recipe
- Captain Rodney’s Dip Copycat Recipe
- Habanero Pineapple BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Fresh jalapeños: This is the star of the sauce. The heat comes from these little peppers!
- Cilantro: This fragrant herb adds a bright, fresh flavor to balance out the heat from the jalapeños.
- Mayonnaise: We use good-quality mayo for a creamy consistency and true creamy flavor.
- Sour cream: Another creamy ingredient that adds a nice tang.
- Buttermilk: This helps to thin out the sauce and mellow out the flavors.
- Salsa verde (tomatillo salsa): This is what gives this green sauce its signature color.
- Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper: These seasonings round out the flavor of the sauce.
Start by preparing the jalapeños. Slice them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. You can leave some of the seeds in if you want a spicier sauce!
In a food processor or blender, combine the jalapeños, cilantro, mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, salsa verde, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings to your preference. You can add more jalapeños for a spicier sauce or more cilantro for a brighter flavor.
– To reduce the heat of the jalapeños, remove all of the seeds before adding them to the food processor.
– If you don’t have access to fresh jalapeños, you can use pickled or jarred jalapeños. Just be sure to drain away any excess liquid before adding them to the food processor.
Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce Recipe
- 1 fresh jalapeño *see Notes below, carefully selected for its vibrant and spicy flavor, adding a kick of heat to the dressing. Adjust the amount to suit your desired level of spiciness.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt plus more to taste, carefully sprinkled to enhance the flavors and balance the overall taste of the dressing.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk skillfully included to provide a slightly tangy and creamy texture, adding a pleasant richness to the dressing.
- 1/6 tablespoons packed fresh cilantro leaves meticulously added to infuse the dressing with a fresh and herbaceous taste, providing a burst of brightness.
- 1/6 tablespoons salsa verde tomatillo salsa, carefully added to infuse the dressing with a zesty and tangy flavor, offering a unique twist to the traditional dressing.
- 1/4 cup good-quality mayonnaise chosen for its creamy and velvety texture, creating a rich and indulgent base for the dressing.
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste, thoughtfully added to provide a subtle hint of spiciness and depth of flavor, complementing the other ingredients in the dressing.
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder thoughtfully incorporated to provide a subtle hint of garlic aroma and flavor, adding depth to the dressing.
- 1/4 cup sour cream thoughtfully incorporated to add a tangy and creamy element, contributing to the overall smoothness and richness of the dressing.
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder skillfully added to enhance the overall taste of the dressing, providing a mild and savory undertone.
- Start by preparing the jalapeños. Slice them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. You can leave some of the seeds in if you want a spicier sauce!
- In a food processor or blender, combine the jalapeños, cilantro, mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, salsa verde, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings to your preference. You can add more jalapeños for a spicier sauce or more cilantro for a brighter flavor.
Calories: 102kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 72mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 164IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg
What to serve with Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce?
This sauce is a perfect accompaniment to any Mexican dish or as a dip for chips and tacos. It’s also delicious on burgers, nachos, burritos, quesadillas, and more! It’s an incredibly versatile condiment that can be used in so many different ways.
For a classic Mexican meal, try it with tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. It’s also great for topping nachos or as a dip for chips and veggies.
For something a little different, try it on burgers, sandwiches, salads, or even pizza! The possibilities are endless with this flavorful sauce.
How to store leftover Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce?
Any leftover Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce should be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one week.
To reheat, simply place the sauce in a pot over medium-low heat and stir until heated through. Alternatively, you can microwave it for 30 seconds or so, stirring after each 15-second interval.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat this Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce as long as it has been properly cooked and stored in the refrigerator. However, due to the spicy nature of the sauce, it is not recommended for pregnant women who are sensitive to spicy foods.
It is always best to consult with your doctor or midwife before consuming any type of food while pregnant.
Is this sauce gluten-free?
Yes, the Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce is gluten-free as long as all the ingredients used are also gluten-free.
Can I make this sauce vegan?
Yes, you can easily substitute the mayonnaise and sour cream for vegan alternatives such as vegan mayonnaise and vegan sour cream.
Is this sauce spicy?
The Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce has a mild to moderate level of spiciness depending on the number of jalapeños added. Feel free to adjust the amount of jalapeños used for your preferred level of heat.
Is this sauce keto-friendly?
Yes, this Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce is keto-friendly as it does not contain any added sugars or starches. However, always double-check the nutritional information of the ingredients you use to make sure they fit within your dietary requirements.
Thank you for taking the time to learn how to make this delicious Jalapeno Tree Green Sauce. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Whether you’re looking for something new to add a little spice to your favorite dishes or just want a flavorful condiment that everyone can enjoy, this sauce is sure to be a hit in your house.
Give it a try and let us know how you like it! Please share this article with your friends and family who may be looking for a tasty new sauce to try.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Copycat Recipe of Fruity Fran Chicken Salad Chick
- HEB Rotisserie Chicken Salad Copycat Recipe
- Zuppetta Copycat Recipe
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.