Last Updated on November 19, 2023
If you are looking for the Marc Murphy Carbonara recipe, then you are in the right place. This delicious dish is easy to make and can be customized with your favorite ingredients. Here, we’ll discuss a step-by-step guide on how to make this classic Italian dish. So, keep reading!
Marc Murphy Carbonara is a classic Italian dish made by the famous executive chef, restaurateur and television food personality “Marc Murphy”. It combines spaghetti, crispy bacon, and a creamy egg sauce. It’s the perfect comfort food for any night of the week and can be easily customized with your favorite ingredients.
This delicious Italian dish is a great option for busy weeknights or when you’re entertaining friends.
Table of Contents
What is Marc Murphy Carbonara?
Marc Murphy Carbonara is a classic Italian pasta dish made with eggs, cheese, and pepper. It was the first dish chef Marc Murphy ever learned to make and is a favorite among many.
The dish gets its sweetness from sautéed onions and the combination of gruyere and Parmesan give it a cheesy decadence.
The bacon gives it a smoky flavor and the egg sauce adds a creamy finish.
What does it taste like?
Marc Murphy carbonara has a rich, creamy flavor from the egg and cheese combination that pairs perfectly with the salty bacon. You will get a taste of all the different flavors in each bite. The dish is also slightly crunchy from the bacon and slightly bitter from the Parmesan cheese.
The dish is served with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and pepper to give it a slight kick. You can also add other herbs like rosemary or thyme for a different flavor profile.
How did I first get introduced to Marc Murphy Carbonara?
Once I visited Marc Murphy’s Landmarc restaurants with my family, I was amazed by all the unique flavors and dishes he offered. Among them, his signature Carbonara dish really caught my attention – a classic Italian pasta with bacon, Parmesan cheese, eggs, black pepper, and cream.
It had such a delicious flavor that we couldn’t get enough of it! From then on, I knew this dish was one of my all-time favorites and I started making it at home whenever I craved something comforting.
How do you make Marc Murphy Carbonara?
The key to making the best Marc Murphy carbonara is to use high-quality ingredients and cook everything properly. Let’s get introduced to the general ingredients and the process of making this delightful dish.
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound of slab bacon
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 gallon of water
- Grated Cheese
- Chopped mint
Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, add the spaghetti and cook according to package instructions, stirring occasionally.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, mozzarella cheese and pepper until fully combined.
Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until crispy and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
When the spaghetti is done cooking, drain the water and return it back to the pot. Add in the egg mixture, stirring constantly until well combined.
Add in the cooked bacon and mix everything together until fully incorporated. Now, cook for five minutes, or until the eggs are completely cooked through.
Serve with your favorite garnishes, such as grated cheese, chopped mint, or basil leaves for added flavor and texture.
• For a vegetarian version of this dish, omit the bacon and use a vegan cheese substitute.
• To make this dish gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free noodles.
• Feel free to add any other ingredients you like, such as sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, or onions for extra flavor.
• You can also add a splash of cream if you like your pasta dishes creamy.
• Adjust the amount of salt and pepper to taste.
Marc Murphy Carbonara
- Measuring Cup
- measuring spoon
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil – Infused with fruity undertones the olive oil adds a subtle richness while coating the spaghetti strands, ensuring they don’t stick together.
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese – Melting into a gooey stretchy layer, the mozzarella imparts a creamy and indulgent texture to every bite.
- 1/2 pound of spaghetti – A generous portion of al dente spaghetti strands perfect for twirling around your fork.
- Grated Cheese – A final sprinkle of grated cheese whether Parmesan or another favorite variety, adds a finishing touch of cheesy goodness, enveloping the dish with a delightful blanket of flavor.
- 1/2 pound of slab bacon – Thick-cut and smoky the slab bacon brings a robust and savory depth to the dish, infusing the pasta with its irresistible aroma.
- Chopped mint – Freshly torn mint leaves bring a burst of vibrant freshness providing a refreshing and herbaceous note that complements the richness of the other ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt – Essential for seasoning the kosher salt enhances the flavors of the ingredients, bringing out their natural taste and adding a delightful savory balance.
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper – With its subtle heat and earthy undertones the freshly ground black pepper adds a touch of warmth and complexity to the overall flavor profile.
- 1/2 gallon of water – Abundant and boiling the water serves as the cooking medium, enveloping the spaghetti in a bubbling embrace, allowing it to cook to perfection.
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese – Sprinkled generously the nutty and savory notes of Parmesan create a delightful umami flavor that complements the pasta.
- 1.5 whole eggs – Whisked to perfection these eggs add a luscious, velvety richness to the dish, binding the ingredients together.
- Basil – Fragrant and aromatic basil leaves add a touch of sweetness and a hint of anise-like flavor, elevating the overall taste profile and adding a touch of elegance to the dish.
- Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, add the spaghetti and cook according to package instructions, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, mozzarella cheese and pepper until fully combined.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until crispy and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- When the spaghetti is done cooking, drain the water and return it back to the pot. Add in the egg mixture, stirring constantly until well combined.
- Add in the cooked bacon and mix everything together until fully incorporated. Now, cook for five minutes, or until the eggs are completely cooked through.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes, such as grated cheese, chopped mint, or basil leaves for added flavor and texture.
Calories: 645 Kcal | Carbohydrates: 57 g | Protein: 28 g | Fat: 42 g | Saturated Fat: 14 g | Cholesterol: 169 mg | Sodium: 1260 mg | Potassium: 291 mg | Fiber: 4 g | Sugar: 1 g
What to serve with Marc Murphy carbonara?
Marc Murphy Carbonara goes great with a side salad, crusty bread, and some roasted vegetables. It also pairs nicely with a light white wine such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. Besides, a zesty glass of Prosecco would be a great accompaniment too.
How to store leftover Marc Murphy Carbonara?
You can store leftover Marc Murphy carbonara in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place it in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, Marc Murphy Carbonara is safe to eat while pregnant as long as the ingredients are cooked properly and all food safety guidelines are followed. Pregnant women should also pay attention to their intake of salt and saturated fat.
How can I make Marc Murphy Carbonara healthier?
You can make this dish healthier by using turkey bacon instead of traditional bacon, reducing the amount of cheese used, and adding extra vegetables like tomatoes or spinach. You could also opt for whole-wheat pasta to increase the nutritional content of the dish.
Can I freeze Marc Murphy Carbonara?
Yes, you can freeze Marc Murphy carbonara in an airtight container for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then heat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through.
What is the best way to reheat this dish?
The best way to reheat Marc Murphy Carbonara is in the microwave or on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Do not add any additional oil or liquid as this will affect the flavor and texture of the dish.
Marc Murphy Carbonara is a delicious and easy-to-make pasta dish that is guaranteed to please all your family members. With its rich, creamy texture and savory flavor it makes an excellent meal for both special occasions and everyday meals. So, make this one-pan meal for dinner tonight and enjoy it with your family.
Please, make sure to share this recipe with your friends and familiar person. Also, remember to share your cooking experiences with us in the comments section below. We would love to hear from you! Thank you for your time.