Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Scarlett Pie is a classic Italian dessert that has been made for generations. It’s an easy-to-make dish with just the right amount of sweetness and a perfectly flaky crust. This Scarlett Pie from scratch is sure to impress your friends and family!
We have all of the tips and tricks you need to make the best Scarlett Pie ever, including how to make the crust and the creamy filling. With a few simple ingredients, you can whip up this delicious dessert in no time. So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Scarlett Pie?
Scarlett Pie is a classic Italian dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. It’s an easy-to-make dish with just the right amount of sweetness and a perfectly flaky crust.
Traditionally, it consists of a shortcrust pastry base filled with a rich, creamy custard filling flavored with citrus zest or other flavorings like cinnamon or nutmeg.
The top of the pie is often decorated with colorful sprinkles or a dusting of icing sugar. The pie originates from southern Italy, and its name comes from the Italian word ‘Scarola’ which means small single-crust tart.
It’s an iconic dish among Italian families and is served during many special occasions such as Easter and Christmas. Scarlett Pie can be enjoyed as a light dessert after a meal or as an indulgent snack with coffee or tea.
What does it taste like?
Scarlett Pie has a rich and creamy custard filling which is often flavored with a hint of citrus. The crust of the pie is buttery, flaky, and slightly sweet.
When it’s freshly baked, the top of the crust gets lightly golden-browned and lightly crunchy, adding an extra layer of texture. The sweetness from the custard filling and the sweetness of the crust balance each other out perfectly, making it an irresistible dessert.
The addition of citrus zest gives the pie a subtle but refreshing flavor, while a sprinkle of spice like nutmeg or cinnamon helps to enhance its flavor even further.
How did I first get introduced to the Scarlett Pie?
I first encountered Scarlett Pie when I visited Scarlett, an Italian restaurant in Canada. It was a cozy little place with outdoor seating and an inviting atmosphere.
When I saw the Scarlett Pie on the menu, I knew that this was something special. The description sounded delicious – a flaky crust filled with a rich and creamy custard filling flavored with citrus zest. I couldn’t wait to try it!
I ordered the Scarlett Pie and when it arrived, it was even better than expected. The golden-brown crust was flaky and buttery with a slight sweetness that perfectly balanced the creamy custard filling which had just the right hint of citrus zest.
The pie was served warm, still slightly gooey in the middle but still cooked through and the top was lightly golden-browned. I savored every bite, scraping my fork across the plate to get every last bit of deliciousness!
Since then, I have made Scarlett Pie at home many times and it always brings back fond memories of that cozy little Italian restaurant. It’s a simple yet satisfying dessert that pleases everyone.
How to make Scarlett Pie?
Making Scarlett Pie is easy, even for novice bakers. Here are the ingredients & some simple Steps to follow:
You May Also Like These Dessert Recipes:
- El Chico Brownie Skillet Copycat Recipe
- Amangiri Pancake Copycat Recipe
- Hungarian Potato Pancakes Copycat Recipe
- All-purpose flour: This will be used to make the crust.
- Salt: A pinch of salt helps bring out the flavor of the pie.
- Butter: Butter is used to give the crust a flaky texture and buttery taste.
- Iced cold water: This is necessary to help bind the dough together and create a workable pastry dough.
- Sugar (optional): Adding sugar helps give the crust a sweeter flavor.
- Milk: A little milk will help to promote the browning of the crust when baking.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt until combined. Cut in cold butter using a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces of butter remaining.
Add the cold water and combine with a spoon or spatula until the dough comes together. Lightly flour a clean surface, and use your hands to bring the dough together, kneading a few times until it holds its shape. Do not overwork.
Divide the dough into two equal portions, wrap each portion in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the disks of chilled dough, pressing it into the bottom and sides of the dish. Trim the excess dough from the edges using kitchen scissors.
Add the desired filling to the crust.
Roll out the second disk of dough on a lightly floured surface and place it over the top of the filled pie plate. Trim excess dough from the edges and crimp with your fingers or use a fork to press into the sides of the crust.
Cut several slits in the top of the dough for steam to escape while baking. Brush the top of the crust lightly with milk and sprinkle a little sugar over the top, if desired.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top. Allow to cool before serving.
– Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to make it easier to transfer into the pie plate.
– To ensure a flaky crust, be sure to use cold butter and don’t overwork the dough.
– Keep an eye on your pie during baking; if the edges start to get too brown, cover them with foil or a pie shield.
– For a richer flavor, you can add some orange or lemon zest to the filling.
– Make sure your pie is cooled before cutting; otherwise, the filling might be runny.
Scarlett Pie Recipe
- baking dish
- 2 cups all-purpose flour ( plus 1 teaspoon for later)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup iced cold water
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- milk for brushing on top to aid in browning
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt until combined. Cut in cold butter using a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces of butter remaining.
- Add the cold water and combine with a spoon or spatula until the dough comes together. Lightly flour a clean surface, and use your hands to bring the dough together, kneading a few times until it holds its shape. Do not overwork.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, wrap each portion in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the disks of chilled dough, pressing it into the bottom and sides of the dish. Trim the excess dough from the edges using kitchen scissors.
- Add the desired filling to the crust.
- Roll out the second disk of dough on a lightly floured surface and place it over the top of the filled pie plate. Trim excess dough from the edges and crimp with your fingers or use a fork to press into the sides of the crust.
- Cut several slits in the top of the dough for steam to escape while baking. Brush the top of the crust lightly with milk and sprinkle a little sugar over the top, if desired.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top. Allow to cool before serving.
Serving size: 1 slice (1/8)
Calories: 473 kcal
Saturated Fat: 16g
What to serve with Scarlett Pie?
Scarlett Pie is a delightful dessert and it pairs perfectly with many different accompaniments. It can be served warm or cold, so feel free to enjoy it either way!
A scoop of ice cream is always a classic option for serving with Scarlett Pie. Vanilla ice cream complements the rich custard flavor nicely and brings a bit of coolness to contrast the warmth of the pie. If you are feeling a bit more adventurous, try serving it with a scoop of salted caramel ice cream for an extra layer of flavor!
For a lighter pairing, serve Scarlett Pie with some freshly whipped cream or a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. This gives the dish a light and airy texture which is perfect for balancing out the richness of the custard. You can also add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg on top to give it some extra flavor and warmth.
For the health-conscious, you can even serve Scarlett Pie with a side of seasonal fruit like berries or apples for an added boost of vitamins and minerals. Whatever accompaniment you choose, Scarlett Pie is sure to be a hit!
How to store leftover Scarlett Pie?
- Store the leftover pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat individual slices in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until heated through.
- You can also freeze Scarlett Pie by wrapping it tightly with aluminum foil and then placing it in a freezer-safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat before serving.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can eat Scarlett Pie. However, it is important to note that the raw eggs used in this may contain bacteria such as salmonella, which could cause an infection if not cooked properly.
Therefore, pregnant women should ensure that all ingredients are cooked thoroughly before consuming. Additionally, pregnant women should avoid eating uncooked dough or batter as these can also contain bacteria.
Finally, as with all foods, pregnant women should consume Scarlett Pie in moderation and ensure that they are getting all the essential nutrients needed during pregnancy. Additionally, consult your doctor or healthcare provider before consuming any food while pregnant.
What kind of crust is used for Scarlett Pie?
Scarlett Pie uses a traditional pastry crust. This type of crust is made with all-purpose flour, cold butter, and ice-cold water to create a flaky and buttery texture.
Can I use store-bought pie crust instead of making one from scratch?
Yes, you can use store-bought pie crust in place of making one from scratch. However, the taste and texture may not be quite the same as a homemade pastry crust.
Can I make Scarlett Pie ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare Scarlett Pie up to 24 hours before baking. Simply assemble the pie and place it in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Is Scarlett Pie gluten-free?
No, Scarlett Pie is not gluten-free as it contains all-purpose flour in the crust. If you need a gluten-free option, you can use a gluten-free pastry crust instead.
Scarlett Pie is a delicious and easy-to-make dessert that can be enjoyed by anyone. With a few simple steps, you can create a tasty homemade pastry crust that perfectly complements the rich custard filling. Enjoy it warm or cold with your favorite accompaniments for an indulgent treat!
I hope this guide has helped you to learn more about Scarlett Pie and how to make it at home. Get creative with your fillings and accompaniments for an unforgettable dessert experience!
Please share this article with your friends and family so they can also enjoy this delectable treat. Thank you for reading.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Neiman Marcus Gourmet Chicken Copycat Recipe
- Copycat Recipe of Bread and Butter Roast
- Copycat Recipe of Blue Raspberry Ice Cream
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.