Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Straubs Chicken Salad is a classic, delicious meal that is both nutritious and easy to make. It’s perfect for everything from lunch boxes to quick weeknight dinners.
This simple recipe calls for just a few ingredients but packs a flavorful punch that will leave you wanting more.
Are you ready to give this classic recipe a try? Follow the steps below and you’ll have an amazing Straubs Chicken Salad ready in no time!
Table of Contents
What is Straubs Chicken Salad?
Straubs Chicken Salad is a classic dish that features shredded chicken in a creamy mayonnaise-based sauce. It’s often served as part of a sandwich or wrap, but can also be enjoyed on its own with crackers or fresh vegetables.
The flavor combination is simple yet tasty – perfect for those who don’t like overly complicated meals!
What does it taste like?
Straubs Chicken Salad has a mild flavor that is slightly sweet with a hint of tanginess from the lemon juice.
The mayonnaise and celery seed add creaminess while the black pepper gives it just a touch of heat. All in all, this is an incredibly delicious dish that everyone can enjoy!
How did I first get introduced to the Straubs Chicken Salad?
I remember growing up in my small hometown of Straub, Pennsylvania. It was a close-knit community where everyone knew each other and the local Grocery Store was a popular destination.
Every time I went there with my family we would always pick up some of the freshly made Straubs Chicken Salad from the deli counter. We’d take it home to enjoy for lunch or dinner and it was always so delicious.
The flavor combination of tender chicken, creamy mayonnaise, tangy lemon juice, and the subtle crunch from the celery always brought a smile to my face. Even now as an adult, I still get excited when I find Straubs Chicken Salad in stores!
How to make Straubs Chicken Salad?
Making Straubs Chicken Salad is incredibly easy and only requires a few ingredients & simple steps:
You can also read the following lunch recipes:
- Skirt Steak Cast Iron Copycat Recipe
- Snoop Dogg Caesar Salad Copycat Recipe
- Outback Walhalla Pasta Copycat Recipe
- Chicken stock: This forms the base of your broth.
- Carrot: This adds a subtle sweetness to the salad.
- Celery: This gives a nice crunchy texture and flavor to the salad.
- Yellow onion: For added flavor in the broth.
- Bay leaf: To add an earthy, herbal flavor.
- Black peppercorns: To further enhance the flavor of the broth.
- Boneless chicken: You can use either boneless chicken thighs or breasts.
- Mayonnaise: For creaminess and body to the salad.
- Lemon juice: For a subtle tangy flavor.
- Celery seed: Adds an extra layer of celery flavor.
- Salt: To enhance all other flavors in the dish.
- Ground white pepper: To add a bit of heat.
In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock, water, carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf, and peppercorns to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add chicken to the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it. Discard any skin, bones, or fat.
In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed, salt, and white pepper.
Add shredded chicken to the mixture and stir until combined.
Add celery and mix until ingredients are evenly combined.
Serve chilled or at room temperature with your favorite sides.
– For a richer flavor, add 1/4 cup of sour cream to the mayonnaise mixture.
– For added crunch, try adding some chopped walnuts or almonds.
– If you like spicy food, add a pinch of red pepper flakes for extra heat.
– This salad tastes best when served the same day it’s made.
Straubs Chicken Salad Recipe
- Stock pot
- Cutting Board
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 carrot cut into chunks
- 1 rib of celery cut into chunks
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 pounds boneless chicken
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp finely diced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock, water, carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf, and peppercorns to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken to the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it. Discard any skin, bones, or fat.
- In a bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery seed, salt, and white pepper.
- Add shredded chicken to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Add celery and mix until ingredients are evenly combined.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with your favorite sides.
Calories: 120 kcal
Carbs: 2 g
Protein: 16 g
Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 380 mg
Potassium: 190 mg
Fiber: 0.6 g
What to serve with Straubs Chicken Salad?
Straubs Chicken Salad is incredibly versatile and can be served in a variety of ways. It makes a great sandwich filling, wrap filling, or spooned onto your favorite crackers or bread. You can also enjoy it as-is with fresh vegetables such as tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers.
For a heartier meal, try serving the chicken salad with a side of roasted potatoes or cooked pasta. If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some extras such as pickles, olives, cheese cubes, hard-boiled eggs, or cooked bacon!
How to store leftover Straubs Chicken Salad?
If you have leftover Straubs Chicken Salad, it should be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To ensure the best quality and flavor, consume within 24 hours of making.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely consume Straubs Chicken Salad. The mayonnaise used in the recipe does not contain raw eggs, which is a potential source of salmonella bacteria that can be dangerous during pregnancy.
Is Straubs Chicken Salad good for you?
Yes, Straubs Chicken Salad can be a nutritious part of your diet. It’s low in fat and calories but contains plenty of protein from the chicken. The vegetables add fiber and essential vitamins and minerals, making it an overall healthy choice!
What other ingredients can I add to Straubs Chicken Salad?
There are endless possibilities when it comes to adding extra ingredients to your chicken salad! Try adding diced apples, grapes, raisins, cranberries, or chopped nuts for a sweet touch. If you like heat, try adding some diced jalapeño peppers or red pepper flakes. You can also add in cooked bacon, hard-boiled eggs, or shredded cheese for a heartier dish.
Can I make Straubs Chicken Salad ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Straubs Chicken Salad up to 24 hours in advance. Simply prepare it according to the recipe and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve. The salad will taste just as delicious the next day, so you can meal prep ahead of time and enjoy it whenever you’re ready!
Thank you for reading about Straubs Chicken Salad. This classic dish is an easy and delicious way to enjoy a nutritious meal without having to spend hours in the kitchen. It’s sure to become a favorite in your home! Try it today and let us know how it turns out!
I hope this article has been helpful in inspiring you to try out Straubs Chicken Salad. Please share this article with your friends and family so that they can get the chance to enjoy this delicious recipe as well.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Luby’s Tartar Sauce Copycat Recipe
- Joanna Gaines’ Pancake Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Demo’s Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe (Copycat Version)
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.