Last Updated on November 6, 2023
This mac and cheese from Kansas City Chiefs head coach, Andy Reid, is the ultimate comfort food. It’s loaded with a variety of cheeses and topped off with bacon for extra flavor.
Not only is it incredibly delicious but it’s also easy to make! Plus, this dish is sure to please any crowd at your next family gathering or potluck.
Here I have the perfect guide for you to make this delicious mac and cheese, just the way Andy Reid does it. So grab your favorite baking dish, preheat your oven, and get ready to make Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese!
Table of Contents
What is Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese?
Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese is a classic American dish that is perfect for any occasion. This creamy and cheesy macaroni is filled with delicious flavors and topped off with crispy bacon pieces, making it a true comfort food favorite.
Made with whole milk, various kinds of cheese, butter, flour, salt, mustard powder, pasta, and optional bacon, this dish is sure to satisfy your tastebuds.
What does it taste like?
Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese is a creamy, cheesy delight. The combination of the various kinds of cheeses gives it an irresistible flavor that will have you wanting more and more!
The bacon pieces add a nice smoky note to the dish while the breadcrumbs give it a crunchy texture. In addition to its incredible taste, this mac and cheese also has a wonderfully creamy texture that will have you coming back for more.
The combination of milk, butter, and flour creates a rich and delicious sauce that is sure to please all your family members.
You Might Also Like These Side Dishes Recipes!
- Hentons Potato Salad Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Nish Nosh Salad
- Recipe for Neiman Marcus Gourmet Chicken
How did I first get introduced to Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese?
I was first introduced to Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese by my uncle, who is an avid Kansas City Chiefs fan. He told me about the head coach of the team, Andy Reid, and how he had invented a mac and cheese recipe that was savory and comforting. I knew right away that I wanted to give it a try!
My uncle showed me a picture of the dish and I was instantly hooked. The combination of melted cheese, bacon, and creamy sauce all piled onto a plate of macaroni looked too delicious to pass up.
When I finally got my hands on the instructions, I was eager to get started. I preheated the oven, gathered all the ingredients, and cooked up a big batch of Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese. As I stirred the sauce and added in all of the cheese, a heavenly smell filled my kitchen.
Once it was finished baking, I eagerly took a bite. It was even better than I had imagined! The creamy sauces combined with the various kinds of cheeses gave it an amazing flavor. The bacon pieces added a smoky note that was divine.
My family and I absolutely loved Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese! Not only is it incredibly delicious, but it’s also easy to make.
Now, whenever I’m in the mood for some comforting macaroni and cheese, there is no doubt at all what I’ll be making. Thanks to Andy Reid, this dish is now one of my family’s all-time favorites.
How to make Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese?
Making Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese is a simple and easy process. All you need is the ingredients & follow the steps below:
- Bacon: This adds a nice smoky flavor to the mac and cheese.
- Elbow Pasta: Elbow pasta is usually used in mac and cheese recipes, but you can use any type of short-cut pasta like penne or shells.
- Whole Milk: Whole milk makes this recipe incredibly creamy. You could also use half and half for an even richer mac and cheese.
- Butter: Butter helps to make a creamy cheese sauce for the mac and cheese.
- Flour: Flour is used to thicken the cheese sauce.
- Salt: Salt adds flavor to the dish.
- Dry Mustard: Dry mustard adds a little bit of spice and tanginess to the dish.
- Cheeses: A variety of cheeses are used to make this mac and cheese extra creamy and flavorful.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Panko bread crumbs help give the mac and cheese a crispy topping.
- Fresh Parsley: Fresh parsley adds flavor and color to the dish.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it is crispy, about 7-10 minutes. Remove the bacon and let it drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the elbow pasta. Cook for 8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour and whisk constantly for 3 minutes to create a roux. Stir in the milk, salt, and dry mustard and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and add in the shredded cheese. Stir until all of the chees is melted and combined.
Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until everything is evenly combined.
Pour the macaroni and cheese into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle on the bacon and Panko bread crumbs.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and golden brown on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
– For a crunchier topping, consider adding some crushed crackers or extra Panko bread crumbs.
– If you’re looking for more flavor, try adding in some diced onions, garlic powder, or other spices that you like.
– You can also use a variety of different cheeses for this. Try adding in some smoked cheddar or pepper jack cheese for a bolder flavor.
– Make sure to let the mac and cheese cool slightly before serving to ensure that it doesn’t burn your mouth!
Andy Reid’s Mac And Cheese Recipe
- 1/2 pound of savory bacon consisting of 16 slices (optional), carefully selected and expertly cooked to crispy perfection, offering a smoky and indulgent flavor that can elevate the dish.
- 10 tablespoons of butter meticulously measured and melted, adding a rich and silky element that enhances the overall creaminess and flavor of the dish.
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs meticulously added to create a crispy and golden topping, offering a delightful contrast in texture to the creamy pasta.
- 3 cups of grated sharp cheddar carefully chosen for its bold and tangy taste, adding a sharp and robust flavor to the dish.
- 2 pounds of elbow pasta thoughtfully chosen for its perfect shape and texture, providing a sturdy and comforting base for the rich and cheesy sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups of gruyere carefully chosen for its nutty and earthy flavor, providing a rich and melty component to the dish.
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard skillfully added to provide a subtle tang and depth of flavor, elevating the overall taste profile of the dish.
- Fresh parsley adjust amount to taste, thoughtfully added as a garnish, providing a pop of freshness and adding a hint of herbaceousness to the dish.
- 3 cups of grated fontina offering a creamy and nutty flavor that melts beautifully, contributing to the richness and gooey texture of the sauce.
- 1 teaspoon of salt thoughtfully measured to enhance the flavors of the dish, ensuring a well-seasoned and balanced taste.
- 1 1/2 cups of grated mozzarella providing a stretchy and melty quality that adds a mild and creamy taste to the dish.
- 12 tablespoons of flour carefully added to create a thickening agent, resulting in a velvety and smooth sauce that clings to the pasta.
- 1 1/2 cups of grated parmesan skillfully selected for its bold and salty flavor, enhancing the overall savory profile of the dish.
- 8 cups of creamy and luscious whole milk meticulously selected for its rich and velvety texture, ensuring a smooth and luxurious consistency in the sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups of gouda offering a slightly smoky and creamy taste that adds depth and complexity to the cheese sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it is crispy, about 7-10 minutes. Remove the bacon and let it drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the elbow pasta. Cook for 8 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the flour and whisk constantly for 3 minutes to create a roux. Stir in the milk, salt, and dry mustard and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add in the shredded cheese. Stir until all of the chees is melted and combined.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle on the bacon and Panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the macaroni and cheese is bubbly and golden brown on top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.
- Calories: 320 kcal,
- Fat: 10.2 g,
- Carbohydrates: 38.3 g,
- Protein: 17.3 g
What to serve with Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese?
Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese is a comforting and delicious dish that pairs well with many side dishes. Here are some suggestions on what to serve with this mac and cheese:
– Roasted vegetables
– Baked beans
– Garlic bread
– Fried chicken
– Grilled steak or pork chops.
– Mashed potatoes
– Baked sweet potato fries
– Pickles and olives
– Fruit salad
– Freshly baked biscuits.
How to store leftover Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese?
You can store leftover Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. When you’re ready to reheat, simply place it in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until it is warmed through.
You can also freeze the mac and cheese for up to two months. To do this, let it completely cool before transferring it to a freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to serve, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating in the oven.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely consume Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese in moderate amounts. However, it is always best to consult with your doctor before eating any new foods while pregnant.
The cheese used in this may contain listeria, which can be harmful to an unborn baby if consumed in large quantities. It is important to make sure that all of the ingredients are of good quality and that the mac and cheese is heated thoroughly before eating.
Pregnant women should also limit their intake of processed foods such as this dish. Additionally, be sure to check with your doctor that any ingredients used in the recipe won’t put you or your baby at risk.
Can I use skim milk for this?
Yes, you can substitute skim milk in place of the whole milk. The mac and cheese may not be as creamy, but it will still be delicious!
Can I use pre-shredded cheese for this?
Yes, you can use pre-shredded cheese for ease and convenience. However, freshly shredded cheeses will melt better and create a creamier mac and cheese.
Is there a way to make this dish vegan?
Yes, you can substitute vegan butter and vegan cheeses for the traditional ingredients to make this dish vegan-friendly. Additionally, you can omit the bacon on top.
Is there a way to make this dish gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free elbow pasta or other short-cut pasta in place of regular elbow pasta. Additionally, you can use gluten-free flour in place of regular all-purpose flour for the cheese sauce.
Thank you for reading our guide to making Andy Reid’s Mac & Cheese! Whether you’re a cheese-lover looking for a new classic dish or just want a comforting meal, this mac and cheese is sure to satisfy you. With its smoky bacon topping and cheesy center, it’s the perfect indulgent treat.
I hope you found this guide helpful as you embark on your mac and cheese journey. Please share this article with your friends and family so they can try making this delicious dish too!