Last Updated on November 23, 2023
Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens is an old-fashioned Southern dish that features turnips and bacon cooked in a flavorful broth. It’s easy to make and full of flavor, making it a popular choice for those looking for a tasty side dish or main course.
This dish is a combination of vegetables, bacon, and herbs creating a rich, hearty dish that you can serve as a side dish or the main course. It’s also incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed with any type of meat, poultry, fish, or vegetarian dishes.
In this article, we’ll share the cracker barrel turnip greens recipe and also discuss some tips for making it even more delicious. So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What are Cracker barrel turnip greens?
Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens is a classic Southern dish that is cooked in a flavorful broth made from chicken stock, bacon, and herbs. The turnips are simmered in the broth until they’re tender and then seasoned with salt, pepper, and other spices for an extra flavor boost.
This dish is often served as a side dish or main course and can be enjoyed with almost any type of meat or vegetarian dish.
What does it taste like?
Cracker Barrel Turnip greens has a savory flavor that comes from the combination of vegetables, bacon, and herbs. The turnips are cooked until they’re tender and the chicken stock adds a rich flavor.
The bacon gives the dish a smoky flavor and the herbs add an additional layer of flavor. It’s a comforting and flavorful dish that will surely please everyone at the table.
How did I first get introduced to the Cracker barrel turnip greens?
I was first introduced to Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens when I visited this American chain of restaurants, Cracker Barrel for the first time. I was amazed at the deliciousness of this Southern-style dish. The bacon, turnips, and herbs combine to create a comforting and flavorful meal that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or side dish.
Since then, it has become one of my favorite dishes to make for dinner! It’s quick and easy to prepare and full of flavor. Plus, it’s a great way to get your family to enjoy turnips!
Are there any variations of Cracker barrel turnip greens?
Yes! There are many different ways to make this classic dish. You can add other vegetables like onions, carrots, and celery for a heartier dish or use smoked ham instead of bacon for an extra smoky flavor.
You can also experiment with different herbs or spices like thyme, garlic powder, and paprika to give your dish its own unique flavor profile. No matter how you choose to make it, Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens is always a delicious and comforting meal!
You can also checkout the following dinner Recipe :
How to make Cracker barrel turnip greens?
Making Turnip Greens from scratch is much easier than it might seem! Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- 2 cups Chicken broth
- 32 oz. Diced turnip or collard greens
- Red pepper flakes to your liking
- 8 pieces of small bacon slices
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to your liking
- Sugar, depending on your wishes
- Some small diced turkey necks and country ham slice
- 8 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- Salt to your taste
In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until it’s crisp and browned on both sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
In the same pot, add the extra virgin olive oil and diced onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden in color. Add the turnip or collard greens and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the greens are tender, add the bacon, red pepper flakes, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
Simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the flavors have blended together. Serve warm with a side of your favorite bread or crackers.
• Make sure to pick out any browned or wilted leaves before cooking the greens.
• To make this dish spicier, add more red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne.
• You can also add some diced turkey necks and country ham slices to give it a smokier flavor.
• To sweeten up the greens, add a tablespoon of sugar while cooking.
Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens Recipe
- Dutch oven
- Sugar depending on your wishes, allowing you to adjust the sweetness to your desired level, bringing harmony and balance to the dish.
- Red pepper flakes to your liking offering a spicy kick that adds a delightful heat to the dish, customizable to your taste preferences.
- 4 pieces of small bacon slices sizzling and rendering their smoky and salty goodness, imparting a delicious depth of flavor.
- 1/2 tablespoon of tangy Apple Cider Vinegar contributing a pleasant acidity that balances the dish and enhances its overall taste profile.
- Freshly ground black pepper to your liking, adding a subtle warmth and aromatic touch, enhancing the complexity of flavors.
- Salt to your taste ensuring the perfect balance of flavors, enhancing the taste of each ingredient and bringing out their natural qualities.
- 1 cup of savory Chicken broth infusing the dish with a rich and comforting flavor base.
- 4 tablespoons of Extra virgin olive oil enriching the dish with its smooth and fruity undertones, enhancing the overall mouthfeel and taste.
- 1/2 cup of diced onion adding a savory and aromatic component, enhancing the depth and complexity of flavors.
- 16 oz. of Diced turnip or collard greens providing a hearty and nutritious addition, packed with earthy and slightly bitter notes.
- Some small diced turkey necks and country ham slice lending a rich and meaty dimension, providing a robust and savory element to the recipe.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until it’s crisp and browned on both sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the extra virgin olive oil and diced onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden in color. Add the turnip or collard greens and chicken broth. Stir to combine and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the greens are tender, add the bacon, red pepper flakes, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the flavors have blended together. Serve warm with a side of your favorite bread or crackers.
• Calories: 186 kcal
• Total Fat: 13 g
• Saturated Fat: 3.2 g
• Cholesterol: 10 mg
• Sodium: 665 mg
• Potassium: 282 mg
• Carbohydrates: 11.4 g
• Fiber: 4.5 g
• Sugar: 4.2 g
• Protein: 6.1 g
What to serve with Cracker barrel turnip greens?
The classic accompaniment for turnip greens is cornbread, but it can also be served with other sides like fried okra or mashed potatoes. You can even pair the dish with some grilled meats such as a steak or hamburger.
How to store leftover Cracker barrel turnip greens?
If you have leftover Cracker barrel turnip greens, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 3-4 days. They can also be frozen for up to 6 months. When reheating, make sure the pot is covered and the heat is low to avoid overcooking.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely include Turnip Greens in their diet. However, it is important that they are cooked thoroughly and all ingredients added to the dish are safe for consumption during pregnancy.
How do I know when my Turnip Greens are done cooking?
The best way to know if your greens are cooked is to test them with a fork. If the greens are easily pierced, then they are done cooking.
What is the difference between Turnip Greens and Collard Greens?
The main difference between Turnip and Collard Greens is their texture. Turnip Greens have a softer texture, while Collard Greens have a tougher, chewier texture. Additionally, Collard Greens tend to have a stronger flavor than Turnip Greens.
Can I make Turnip Greens ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Turnip Greens ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When reheating, be sure to use low heat and cover the pot when cooking.
Is there a vegan version of Turnip Greens?
Yes, you can easily make a vegan version of Turnip Greens by omitting the bacon and swapping out the chicken broth for vegetable broth. Additionally, you can add other vegan-friendly ingredients such as mushrooms, onions, or garlic for added flavor.
Thanks for reading this guide on cracker barrel turnip greens recipe. I hope you learned a lot about how to cook this delicious dish. It is an easy-to-make side dish that pairs well with many different main course dishes.
It’s packed with veggies and bacon and has a slight kick from red pepper flakes. Make sure to pick out any wilted or browned leaves before cooking and add some diced turkey necks or country ham slices for an extra smoky flavor.
Overall, Cracker barrel Turnip Greens are a tasty side dish that is packed with flavor and nutrition. Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or a dish to impress your guests, this recipe has it all.
Please share this recipe with your family and friends and let us know how it turns out!
Sharing is caring!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.