Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Looking for a delightful and easy-to-make brunch or lunch dish? Look no further than Ina Garten’s Ham and Cheese Quiche recipe from her popular show, Barefoot Contessa.
This simple yet elegant dish is the perfect combination of savory ham, gooey cheese, and a flaky crust. With just a handful of ingredients, you can create a delicious quiche that will impress your family and friends.
Whether you’re a seasoned home cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to become a favorite in your repertoire. Let’s dive into the world of Ina Garten’s Ham and Cheese Quiche.
Table of Contents
What Is Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa?
Ham and Cheese Quiche by Barefoot Contessa, also known as Ina Garten, is a delicious savory dish made with a buttery, crispy, and flaky pie crust filled with a rich egg custard and various flavorful mix-ins.
The quiche offers a versatile base that allows for customization with ingredients like ham, cheese (such as Gruyère or cheddar), bacon, herbs, vegetables (like spinach), or even crab meat.
What Does It Taste Like?
When cooked low and slow, the veal shanks become incredibly tender and melt in your mouth. The meat develops a deep, savory flavor that the braising process enhances, allowing the flavors to infuse and intensify.
The tomato-based sauce adds a tangy and slightly sweet element to the dish. The acidity of the tomatoes balances out the richness of the meat and complements the flavors of the other ingredients.
The sauce is often thick and velvety, coating the veal shanks and infusing them with its delicious taste.
The aromatic vegetables, such as onions, carrots, and celery, contribute their unique flavors and aromas to the dish. They add a subtle sweetness, earthiness, and depth of flavor that complements the meat and sauce.
You Might Also Like These Dinner Recipes!
- Barefoot Contessa Pasta Fagioli Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Recipe for Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Pioneer Woman
- Recipe for Chicken Scarpariello Barefoot Contessa
How Did I First Get Introduced To Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa?
I first got introduced to Ina Garten’s Ham and Cheese Quiche recipe through her Food Network show, Barefoot Contessa. I remember watching an episode where she demonstrated how to make this delicious dish. Ina Garten is known for her simple yet elegant recipes, and her Ham and Cheese Quiche caught my attention.
The combination of savory ham, creamy cheese, and a flaky crust was irresistible. Since then, I have been a fan of Ina Garten’s cooking and have enjoyed recreating her recipes in my own kitchen.
How To Make Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa?
The key to making a delicious Ham and Cheese Quiche is to use quality ingredients. Read the recipe carefully and follow the directions precisely for best results.
- 1 10-inch uncooked pie crust: A ready-made or homemade pie crust that will serve as the base for the quiche.
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter: Adds richness and flavor when sautéing the onions.
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped: Adds a savory and aromatic base to the quiche.
- 1 cup ham, cubed: Use a ham steak or leftover ham for a delicious protein addition to the quiche.
- ¼ cup cooked bacon, cut into pieces (optional): Adds smoky and crispy texture to the quiche. This ingredient is optional, so you can omit it if desired.
- 5 large eggs: Provide structure and richness to the quiche, acting as the binder for the other ingredients.
- ½ cup half-and-half or milk: Adds creaminess and moisture to the quiche filling.
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp or mild cheddar cheese: Adds a rich and tangy flavor to the quiche.
- ½ cup finely shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese: Adds a creamy and slightly nutty flavor to the quiche.
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes: Enhances the overall flavor of the quiche with a subtle herbaceous note.
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper: Adds a mild heat and depth of flavor to the quiche.
- 1/2-1 cup spinach, chopped: Adds a nutritious and vibrant element to the quiche. The amount can be adjusted based on personal preference.
Step By Step Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pre-made pie crust on it.
- Break up the cauliflower into manageable chunks, including the stem.
- Sprinkle the cauliflower with salt and pepper.
- Place the cauliflower on the lined baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are caramelized.
- In a piece of aluminum foil, place the shallots and garlic cloves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Fold the aluminum foil to create a sealed packet containing the shallots, garlic, olive oil, and salt.
- Place the foil packet on the same baking sheet as the cauliflower and roast for the remaining time alongside the cauliflower.
- In a large pot, slowly boil the vegetable soup for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the roasted cauliflower, shallots, peeled garlic cloves, and thyme to the pot.
- Cover the pot and continue boiling for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and let the mixture cool.
- Once cooled, pour the mixture into a blender.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and miso paste to the blender.
- Blend until smooth and well combined.
- Season with a little more salt and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the pre-made pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish.
- Spread the diced ham evenly over the bottom of the crust.
- Sprinkle the shredded Gruyere cheese over the ham.
- Pour the blended cauliflower filling over the ham and cheese.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Place the quiche in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the quiche from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing.
- Garnish with microgreens just before serving to enhance the flavor.
Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa
- baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- aluminum foil
- large pot
- 9-inch pie dish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pre-made pie crust on it.
- Break up the cauliflower into manageable chunks, including the stem. Sprinkle the cauliflower with salt and pepper. Place the cauliflower on the lined baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 30-35 minutes, until the edges are caramelized.
- In a piece of aluminum foil, place the shallots and garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Fold the aluminum foil to create a sealed packet containing the shallots, garlic, olive oil, and salt. Place the foil packet on the same baking sheet as the cauliflower and roast for the remaining time alongside the cauliflower.
- In a large pot, slowly boil the vegetable soup for 15 minutes over medium heat. Add the roasted cauliflower, shallots, peeled garlic cloves, and thyme to the pot. Cover the pot and continue boiling for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and let the mixture cool. Once cooled, pour the mixture into a blender. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and miso paste to the blender. Blend until smooth and well combined. Season with a little more salt and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the pre-made pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish. Spread the diced ham evenly over the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle the shredded Gruyere cheese over the ham. Pour the blended cauliflower filling over the ham and cheese. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- Place the quiche in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the quiche from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing. Garnish with microgreens just before serving to enhance the flavor.
- Calories: 234kcal
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 161mg
- Sodium: 460mg
- Potassium: 171mg
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sugar: 1g
What To Serve With Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa?
When serving a delicious ham and cheese quiche from the Barefoot Contessa, you have a variety of options to complement and enhance the flavors of this classic dish. Here are some suggestions for what to serve alongside your quiche:
A light and refreshing salad can be a great accompaniment to the richness of the quiche. Consider a mixed green salad with a tangy vinaigrette dressing or a simple Caesar salad with crisp romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, and homemade croutons.
Roasting vegetables adds a depth of flavor and a lovely caramelization that pairs well with the quiche. Try roasted asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or a medley of colorful roasted vegetables like carrots, zucchini, and bell peppers.
A vibrant fruit platter with a selection of seasonal fruits such as berries, melons, grapes, and sliced citrus can provide a refreshing contrast to the savory quiche.
Consider serving a warm and comforting soup, such as a creamy tomato soup or a vegetable soup, as a side dish to complement the quiche. The combination of the quiche and soup can create a satisfying and well-rounded meal.
Bread or Rolls:
Freshly baked bread or rolls can be a delightful addition to your meal. Consider offering a crusty baguette, homemade biscuits, or flaky croissants to enjoy alongside the quiche.
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa?
Looking to preserve the deliciousness of your leftover ham and cheese quiche from Barefoot Contessa? Follow these simple steps to store and reheat it for future enjoyment.
- Allow the ham and cheese quiche to cool completely before storing.
- Wrap the quiche tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent air exposure and maintain freshness.
- Place the wrapped quiche in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Label the container with the date to keep track of its freshness.
- Store the quiche in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Remove the quiche from the refrigerator and unwrap it. Place it on a baking sheet and cover it loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Alternatively, you can reheat individual slices in the microwave on medium power for 1-2 minutes or until warmed to your liking.
- Discard any leftover quiche that has been left at room temperature for more than 2 hours to prevent the risk of foodborne illness.
Can Pregnant Woman Eat Ham And Cheese Quiche Barefoot Contessa?
It is generally safe for pregnant women to eat ham and cheese quiche, as long as the ingredients are properly cooked and stored. However, it is important to note that certain types of cheese, such as soft cheeses like Brie or Camembert, should be avoided during pregnancy due to the risk of listeria.
The Barefoot Contessa recipe for ham and cheese quiche calls for Gruyere cheese, which is a hard cheese and is safe to consume during pregnancy. As always, it is recommended to consult with a healthcare provider regarding any dietary concerns during pregnancy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Type Of Ham Is Typically Used In Barefoot Contessa’s Ham And Cheese Quiche?
The ham used in Barefoot Contessa’s ham and cheese quiche is typically cooked ham, which can be sliced or diced depending on personal preference.
Can I Use Different Types Of Cheese In Barefoot Contessa’s Ham And Cheese Quiche?
A: Yes, you can experiment with different types of cheese to customize the flavor. Gruyère, Swiss, cheddar, or a combination of these cheeses work well in the recipe.
Can I Make Barefoot Contessa’s Ham And Cheese Quiche Ahead Of Time?
Yes, the quiche can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. When ready to serve, reheat it in the oven at a low temperature to ensure it stays warm and maintains its texture.
What Are Some Variations Or Additions I Can Make To Barefoot Contessa’s Ham And Cheese Quiche?
You can add sautéed vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, or spinach to the quiche for added flavor and texture. Fresh herbs like thyme or parsley can also be incorporated for an extra burst of freshness.
Ina Garten’s Ham and Cheese Quiche is a true winner when it comes to effortless and mouthwatering recipes.
With its buttery crust, flavorful ham, and creamy cheese, this quiche is a delightful treat for any occasion. The combination of ingredients creates a harmonious balance of flavors, making it a hit among both kids and adults.
Whether you’re hosting a brunch, preparing a quick lunch, or simply craving a comforting meal, this recipe is a go-to option.