Last Updated on November 26, 2023
Did you ever try the most popular dish, the Ina Garten pumpkin bread? If not, then you must try it. It’s a great way to kick-start your morning with its warm and cozy flavor. This delicious homemade treat is really moist and spiced just right for a festive holiday breakfast or brunch that’s sure to please all of your guests!
Even though this dish may sound complicated to make, it’s actually quite easy and only requires a few simple ingredients. You can find all of the necessary ingredients at your local grocery store or even online.
If you want to try this at home, I have the perfect guide for you. Read on to learn every detail regarding this dish & make your version of Ina Garten pumpkin bread in no time.
Table of Contents
What Is ina garten pumpkin bread?
Ina Garten pumpkin bread is a classic holiday recipe that is full of sweet and spicy flavors. It’s light, moist, and incredibly delicious. This dish was created by the legendary chef Ina Garten, who has revolutionized home cooking with her wonderful creations.
This wonderful treat is one of the most popular holiday dishes and is loved by people of all ages. It’s made with canned pumpkin puree, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, pure vanilla extract, ground ginger, nutmeg, kosher salt, cinnamon, and cloves. For a little extra flavor and texture, you can add some chopped walnuts.
Where Did I First Try Ina Garten pumpkin bread?
I first tried Ina Garten pumpkin bread a few years ago during the holidays. I was at a cousin’s house and they had made it for breakfast and everyone loved it! My cousin is a fan of Barefoot Contessa. However, the smell of the spices combined with the sweetness of the pumpkin filled their home with warmth and coziness.
All of us dug into this delicious dish and could not stop raving about it. It was moist, spiced just right and full of flavor. Even though I had never made this recipe before, I knew that I wanted to learn how to make it myself.
I soon went online to search for the recipe and found the original one from the Ina Garten website, Barefoot Contessa. I was so excited to have the ingredients and start baking. I was surprised to find out how easy it was to make and that all of the ingredients were readily available in my pantry.
I followed the directions step-by-step and even added some chopped walnuts for extra flavor and texture. When it was finished baking, it smelled amazing! Everyone admired the light golden crust with the intense aroma of spices wafting through our home kitchen.
After letting it cool a bit, I sliced into the delicious loaf of pumpkin bread. It was moist and utterly delightful! Everyone loved it and asked me for the recipe so they could make it themselves.
You can also read the following breakfast recipes:
- Recipe for Blueberry Scones Ina Garten
- Recipe of Jim Dandy Grits
- El Torito Mexican Sweet Corn Cake Copycat Recipe
- Canned pumpkin puree: this ingredient is the one you start with for the base of the pumpkin bread.
- All-purpose flour: this is used to create a soft and fluffy texture in your loaf. Plus, it helps to bind the mixture together.
- Baking powder & baking soda: these ingredients are used to help the loaf rise and create a light golden crust.
- Granulated sugar: this ingredient adds a sweetness that pairs nicely with the spices in the bread.
- Vegetable oil: this is used as an alternative to butter and helps to give the bread a light, moist texture.
- Eggs: these are used to bind the ingredients together and create a rich flavor.
- Vanilla extract: this adds some extra sweetness and enhances the other flavors in the bread.
- Ground spices: you’ll need ground ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves to give your bread its signature flavor.
- Chopped walnuts: these are a great way to add texture and extra flavor.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon until combined.
In a separate large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
Fold in the chopped walnuts (if using). Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
• To make your pumpkin bread extra flavorful, you can add some dark chocolate chips or chopped pecans to the batter.
• For a gluten-free version of this recipe, you can replace the all-purpose flour with an equal amount of almond flour.
• This pumpkin bread also makes a delicious dessert! To make it a bit more indulgent, top it with some homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
• You can replace the vegetable oil with melted butter or coconut oil.
• If you don’t have canned pumpkin puree on hand, you can use mashed sweet potatoes or carrots instead.
• Instead of all-purpose flour, you can use a combination of almond and oat flour.
• To make this recipe vegan, replace the eggs with a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water).
• You can also add some raisins, cranberries, or dates for added sweetness and texture.
Ina Garten Pumpkin Bread
- loaf pan
- 1 large egg for a binding and moist texture
- 1/2 teaspoon fluffy and light baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fizzy and bubbly baking soda
- 1/4 cup crunchy and nutty chopped walnuts optional for a delightful and satisfying crunch
- 1/2 cup sweet and crystalline granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon subtle and aromatic ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract for a fragrant and aromatic essence
- 1/4 teaspoon warm and earthy ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon delicate and aromatic ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon savory and balanced kosher salt
- 1/4 cup silky and versatile vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon warm and comforting ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup soft and tender all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup lusciously smooth canned pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts (if using). Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove from pan and transfer to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- To make your pumpkin bread extra flavorful, you can add some dark chocolate chips or chopped pecans to the batter.
- For a gluten-free version of this recipe, you can replace the all-purpose flour with an equal amount of almond flour.
- This pumpkin bread also makes a delicious dessert! To make it a bit more indulgent, top it with some homemade whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Per serving (1 slice):
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 20 mg
- Sodium: 250 mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 28 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: 15 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Vitamin A: 25%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 4%
- Iron: 4%
How to Store Ina Garten pumpkin bread?
The best way to store your pumpkin bread is in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it for up to 1 month. To thaw, simply let it sit at room temperature for several hours or overnight before serving.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, as long as the ingredients used to make it are pasteurized. Therefore, make sure you use pasteurized eggs and canned pumpkin puree when making this recipe.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can absolutely make Ina Garten’s pumpkin bread ahead of time. Simply bake it according to the instructions, allow it to cool completely before slicing, and store in an airtight container. It will keep for up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the refrigerator. You can also freeze it for up to 1 month.
What else can I add to this recipe?
You can add dark chocolate chips or chopped pecans to the batter to make your pumpkin bread extra flavorful. You can also add some raisins, cranberries, or dates for added sweetness and texture.
So, tell us what you are thinking about making Ina Garten’s pumpkin bread. It surely is one of the best recipes for the fall and winter seasons!
Enjoy this flavorful, moist, and delicious treat with your family and friends. Don’t forget to add a dollop of homemade whipped cream or a dusting of cinnamon on top for extra indulgence.
We hope you found this guide to Ina Garten’s pumpkin bread helpful. If you have any tips or tricks for making the perfect slice of pumpkin bread then let us know in the comments below.
Don’t forget to share the recipe with your friends and let us know how it turns out. Thanks for reading.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Recipe for Pollo Tropical Beans
- Recipe for Bahama Breeze Jerk Chicken Pasta
- Pittsburgh Thumbprint Cookies (Kaufmann’s)
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.