Last Updated on June 27, 2023
Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is a delightful recipe for key lime pie. It features the tart and sweet flavors of key limes that make it extra special compared to the regular lime juice used in traditional recipes.
This recipe can be used to make pies, cakes, cobblers, and more – perfect for serving large groups of people! The key ingredient is the juice of key limes which can be used to recreate the taste of a classic key lime pie. Whip up this dessert for your next celebration or just because; it’s sure to please!
In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide to making Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie. We will also provide some tips for perfecting the recipe, as well as nutrition information for those who are counting calories or watching their diet. Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie?
Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is a classic key lime pie recipe created by country music star Kenny Chesney. This easy-to-make dessert combines the delicious flavors of key limes, graham cracker crumbs, and whipped topping to create a light and fluffy treat that you’ll want to make again and again!
The filling is made with sweetened condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, egg whites, and of course key limes. The crust is a simple graham cracker crumb mixture that helps to hold everything together.
What does it taste like?
Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie has a tart and sweet flavor that comes from the combination of key limes and sweetened condensed milk.
The graham cracker crust adds a crunchy texture, while the whipped topping and lime slices add an extra layer of sweetness. This pie is perfect for those who love both tangy and sweet flavors.
How did I first get introduced to Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie?
I first got introduced to Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie on youtube. I was watching a video of the singer making his own version of the classic dessert and it looked so delicious that I just had to try it for myself!
The recipe seemed fairly easy to make, so I decided to give it a go. After following the instructions carefully, I created an amazing Key Lime Pie that was just as good as Kenny’s!
The tartness of the key limes and sweetness of the condensed milk balanced perfectly, while the graham cracker crust added a nice crunch. I was thrilled with how it turned out and have been making it ever since.
How to make Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie?
Making Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is easy and doesn’t require any complicated ingredients or techniques. Here are the ingredients & step-by-step instructions for this recipe:
You May Also Like These Dessert Recipes:
- Zucchini bread recipe from the Barefoot Contessa
- Mountain Dew Ice Cream Copycat Recipe
- Sugar Cookie Recipe from Publix
- Graham cracker crumbs: This is what gives the crust its unique flavor and texture.
- Cinnamon: This adds a hint of warm spice to the crust.
- Granulated sugar: This helps sweeten the crust.
- Melted butter: This binds all the ingredients together, creating the perfect base for your key lime pie.
- Eggs (separated): The egg whites will help create a fluffy and light filling.
- Grated lime peel (lime zest): This adds an extra layer of flavor to the key lime pie.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a bit of tartness to the filling.
- Key lime juice: Gives that unmistakable sweet-tart flavor we all love about key lime pie.
- Sugar: Helps to sweeten the filling.
- Sweetened condensed milk: adds richness and creaminess to the filling. Heavy whipping cream: This creates a light, airy texture for your topping.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances the flavor of your whipped topping.
- Powdered sugar: Sweetens the whipped topping.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter or cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until everything is well combined.
Press the mixture into the greased pie dish, making sure to press down firmly and evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine grated lime peel (lime zest), lemon juice, key lime juice, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk.
Mix until everything is well combined. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and spread evenly with a spatula or spoon.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Allow to cool before topping with whipped cream.
In a large bowl, beat together heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
Spread the whipped cream over the cooled pie with a spatula or spoon. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
-If you don’t have access to fresh key limes, you can use bottled or canned key lime juice instead.
-If you want a more intense flavor, try adding 1 teaspoon of lime zest to the filling.
-To make sure your pie doesn’t become soggy, let it cool completely before adding the topping.
-Feel free to experiment with different flavor combinations, such as adding coconut or chopped nuts to the crust.
-To make the pie extra special, garnish it with lime wedges and mint leaves before serving.
Kenny Chesney Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 2 9” inch deep dish pie crusts
- 1 Electric mixer
- 1 Medium-sized saucepan
- 1 Whisk
Graham cracker crust
- 4 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (cinnamon powder)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or white granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Melted butter cooled down
Key lime filling
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature separated
- 4 tsp grated lime peel
- 2 oz can Sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup lime juice, preferably Kermit’s Key Lime Juice
- 4 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 4 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch pie dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Press the mixture into the greased pie dish, making sure to press down firmly and evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine grated lime peel (lime zest), lemon juice, key lime juice, sugar, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Mix until everything is well combined. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour the filling into the cooled crust and spread evenly with a spatula or spoon.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Allow to cool before topping with whipped cream.
- In a large bowl, beat together heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the cooled pie with a spatula or spoon. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Carbohydrates: 66 g
Protein: 6 g
Fat: 24 g
Saturated fat: 13 g
Cholesterol: 88 mg
Sodium: 293 mg
Potassium: 93 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 34 g
Vitamin A: 604 IU
Vitamin C: 5.3 mg
Calcium: 114 mg
Iron: 1.9 mg
What to serve with Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie?
Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is best served with a doll of freshly whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can also pair it with some fresh fruit such as strawberries or blueberries, or serve it with a side of crunchy shortbread cookies!
Whatever you choose to serve this delicious dessert with, you won’t be disappointed!
How to store leftover Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie?
You can store Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To keep it fresher for longer, you can also wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for up to two weeks. When ready to eat, let the pie thaw at room temperature for a few hours before serving.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can enjoy Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie in moderation. However, it is important to remember that this dessert contains raw eggs which can increase the risk of food-borne illness for pregnant women.
Therefore, make sure to use pasteurized egg whites or a pasteurized egg substitute when making this dish to reduce the risk.
Can I use store-bought graham cracker crust instead of making my own?
Yes, you can definitely use store-bought graham cracker crusts for Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie! However, homemade graham cracker crusts tend to be more flavorful and provide a more buttery taste compared to store-bought crusts.
What is the best way to zest limes for this recipe?
The best way to zest limes for Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is with a microplane grater or zester. This will ensure that you get the most flavor out of the limes while avoiding the bitter pith.
Make sure to only zest the outer green skin and avoid going too deep into the white flesh as this can make your pie very sour.
Is Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie suitable for vegans?
Unfortunately, Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is not suitable for vegans as it contains dairy, eggs, and butter. However, there are plenty of vegan versions of this classic dessert that can be found online.
Just make sure to read the ingredients list carefully before purchasing or making any vegan-friendly desserts.
Kenny Chesney’s Key Lime Pie is a classic Southern dessert that is sure to put a smile on anyone’s face. It is easy to make and requires just a few simple ingredients.
With its creamy, tart filling and buttery graham cracker crust, this delicious pie will be the star of any gathering or special occasion!
Be sure to follow the instructions carefully and have fun experimenting with different flavor combinations to make this classic dessert extra special.
Thank you for reading. Please share this article if you found it helpful.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.