Last Updated on November 26, 2023
Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese is a classic appetizer and dip that originated at the popular Mellow Mushroom Pizza Bakers. It’s creamy, cheesy, and filled with delicious flavors like butter, beer, and more. This recipe will surely be a crowd-pleaser and leave your guests wanting more!
In this article, we’ll share the Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese recipe so you can make it at home. We’ll also provide tips and tricks to help you get the best results every time. So, keep reading!
Table of Contents
What is mellow mushroom beer cheese recipe?
As stated above, Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese is a classic dish that can be served as an appetizer or a main course.
This cheese dip recipe combines two of the best flavors – beer and cheese – for a creamy, smooth, and flavorful dish. It’s made with sharp cheddar cheese, Mellow Mushroom beer, cream cheese, butter, chilli powder and salt.
The combination of these ingredients results in a delicious and comforting dip that your guests will love! It’s perfect for parties or just as an afternoon snack!
What kind of flavor does it have?
Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese has all the wonderful flavors you would expect from an awesome cheese dip; it has notes of cheese and butter but also has a unique depth of flavor thanks to the addition of beer. The beer adds just enough bitterness to make this cheese dip really special.
How was I first introduced to the Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese?
I first encountered the Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese recipe when I visited one of their locations in Savannah, Georgia. After tasting it for myself, I immediately knew that I had to recreate this amazing dip at home!
How to make mellow mushroom beer cheese?
Making Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese is simple and only takes about 15 minutes of prep time. We’ve shared the ingredients and step-by-step process below so you can make your own Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese at home.
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese: Philadelphia Cream Cheese serves as the creamy and tangy base for the Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese. It contributes richness and a smooth texture to the sauce.
- Tillamook Shredded White Cheddar Cheese: Tillamook Shredded White Cheddar Cheese adds a sharp and robust cheddar flavor to the beer cheese. It enhances the overall cheesiness and provides a melty consistency.
- Flour (or more if needed): Flour is used to create a roux, a thickening agent for the beer cheese sauce. It helps achieve the desired consistency, ensuring the sauce is smooth and not too thin.
- Butter: Butter adds richness and a silky texture to the beer cheese. It enhances the overall mouthfeel of the sauce and contributes to its decadent quality.
- Salt: Salt is a fundamental seasoning that balances the flavors in the beer cheese. It enhances the overall taste, bringing out the natural flavors of the cheeses.
- Chili Powder: Chili powder adds a warm and earthy spice to the beer cheese. It contributes depth to the flavor profile, providing a subtle kick without overpowering the dish.
- Light-Flavored Beer: Light-flavored beer serves as the liquid component in the beer cheese sauce. It not only adds a distinct beer flavor but also helps achieve the desired consistency and keeps the sauce smooth.
Step by step instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour until combined and cook for 2 minutes.
Add in the chilli powder and salt and continue to whisk together until everything is incorporated and thickens slightly (about 1 minute).
Gradually add in the beer while constantly stirring until everything is smooth and there are no lumps. Reduce heat to low, and add cheese cream and shredded cheddar cheese; stir continuously until melted and combined (about 3 minutes).
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Serve warm with tortilla chips, crackers, or vegetables and enjoy!
• To make a thicker beer cheese dip, add an additional tablespoon of flour to the saucepan while whisking in the butter and flour at the beginning of step 2.
• Make sure to use freshly grated cheddar cheese rather than pre-shredded cheese for best results.
• You can also experiment by using different types of beer, such as a stout or pilsner for a unique flavor.
• For an extra kick, you can add some freshly diced jalapenos or hot sauce to the mixture before baking.
Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese Recipe
- 2 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 3/8 stick of unsalted butter
- 6 oz White Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/6 tsp kosher salt
- 6 oz light-bringer beer
- 1.5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour until combined and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chilli powder and salt and continue to whisk together until everything is incorporated and thickens slightly (about 1 minute).
- Gradually add in the beer while constantly stirring until everything is smooth and there are no lumps. Reduce heat to low, and add cheese cream and shredded cheddar cheese; stir continuously until melted and combined (about 3 minutes).
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips, crackers, or vegetables and enjoy!
Amount per serving And % Daily Values
Serving: 6 Calories: 428 | Total Fat 37g – 47% | Saturated Fat 23.4g – 117% | Cholesterol 111mg – 37% | Sodium 626mg – 27% | Total Carbohydrate 5.5g – 2% | Dietary Fiber 0.3g – 1% | Total Sugars 0.5g | Protein 16.3g | Vitamin D 15mcg – 74% | Calcium 432g – 33% | Iron 1mg – 5% | Potassium 110mg – 2%
The Percent Daily Value (DV) of a nutrient in a food serving indicates how much it contributes to a daily diet. The standard nutrition advice is 2,000 calories per day.
What to serve with mellow mushroom beer cheese?
Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese is a delicious and versatile dip that pairs well with numerous snacks.
Some of the most popular accompaniments include tortilla chips, crackers, pita chips, or vegetables such as celery, carrots or bell peppers.
You can also serve it as a spread on toasted baguette slices for an easy appetizer. Whatever you choose to pair it with, Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese will definitely be a hit!
How to store leftover mellow mushroom beer cheese?
You can store this beer cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat it in a 350°F oven before serving.
Can I freeze mellow mushroom beer cheese?
Yes, you can freeze Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese for up to 3 months. Allow the dip to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in a 350°F oven.
What type of beer should I use for Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese?
We recommend using a light flavor beer such as lager or pilsner to make the dip. You can also experiment by using different types of beer, such as wheat or craft beer, for a unique flavor.
Thanks for reading this guide on how to make Mellow Mushroom Beer Cheese. This cheesy dip will surely be a hit with your family and friends!
Feel free to experiment with different ingredients or even use a spicier beer if you want to spice it up. Have fun and enjoy this tasty treat!
Please share this article if you found it helpful. Let us know what other recipes you would like to see!