Last Updated on November 26, 2023
The American grocery company Publix sells these amazing wings, which are known as Publix Mardi Gras wings. These are delicious and flavorful chicken wings that have been marinated in a mix of spices.
They are then baked or fried to perfection, making them an incredibly tasty treat! The spicy flavors combined with the crunchy texture make these wings an absolute hit.
In this article, I’ve shared the copycat of Publix mardi gras wings recipe, including how to prepare them and what they taste like. Also, we’ll go through the nutritional facts and what to serve with these delicious wings. So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Publix Mardi Gras Wings?
Publix Mardi Gras Wings are a delicious and convenient snack or meal option. They are made with chicken wings that have been cooked and seasoned with a unique blend of spices, including chicken flavor, salt, sugar, and spices.
The result is a flavorful and juicy wing that will please any crowd. Publix Mardi Gras Wings are also low in calories, making them a great choice for those looking to watch their calorie intake.
These wings can be served as an appetizer or main course. They pair well with sides such as potato salad or coleslaw and can be enjoyed on their own or dipped in your favorite sauce. For an extra kick of flavor, you can even add some hot sauce to the mix!
No matter how you choose to enjoy them, Publix Mardi Gras Wings are sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
What Does It Taste Like?
The marinade and spices give the wings a sweet yet spicy flavor. The garlic adds an extra punch of flavor while dipped in hot sauce that gives a kick. The wings are also crispy on the outside but juicy on the inside, making every bite truly enjoyable.
How Did I First Get Introduced to the Publix Mardi Gras Wings?
I first tried Publix Mardi Gras wings at a party when my friend brought them for the party and instantly fell in love with them. Their unique flavor and texture made them stand out from other chicken wings I have had before. I knew right away that these would become a staple item for me to serve at any gathering.
How to Make Publix Mardi Gras Wings?
Making Publix Mardi Gras wings is incredibly easy and only takes a few steps.
- Whole Chicken Wings (Leg, Wing, Tip): Whole chicken wings provide the main protein component for the Publix Mardi Gras Wings recipe. The combination of the leg, wing, and tip offers a variety of textures and flavors, creating a satisfying and hearty dish.
- Mardi Gras Wing Seasoning Recipe: The Mardi Gras Wing Seasoning Recipe includes a blend of herbs and spices that infuse the wings with a distinctive and bold flavor profile. This seasoning mix is a key element in achieving the Mardi Gras-inspired taste.
- Sunflower Oil: Sunflower oil is used for frying the wings. Its high smoke point makes it suitable for deep frying, and it imparts a neutral flavor to allow the Mardi Gras seasoning to shine.
- Dried Rosemary: Dried rosemary adds an aromatic and earthy flavor to the Mardi Gras seasoning. It contributes a herbal note that complements the overall seasoning profile.
- Chili Powder: Chili powder provides a warm and smoky flavor to the Mardi Gras seasoning. It adds depth and a subtle heat to enhance the overall taste of the wings.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt is a fundamental seasoning that enhances the natural flavors of the wings and the Mardi Gras seasoning. It helps balance the overall taste.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder contributes a savory and aromatic garlic flavor to the seasoning mix. It enhances the wings with a robust and well-rounded taste.
- Dried Ground Oregano: Dried ground oregano adds a Mediterranean-inspired herbal note to the Mardi Gras seasoning. It complements the other spices and contributes to the complexity of the flavor.
- Tony’s Creole Seasoning: Tony’s Creole seasoning is a signature blend that brings authentic Creole flavors to the wings. It typically includes a mix of herbs, spices, and seasonings characteristic of Creole cuisine.
- Cumin: Cumin adds a warm and slightly nutty flavor to the Mardi Gras seasoning. It enhances the overall spice profile and contributes to the complexity of the seasoning.
- Dry Yellow Mustard: Dry yellow mustard provides a tangy and pungent element to the Mardi Gras seasoning. It adds depth and complements the other flavors in the mix.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper adds a piquant and aromatic kick to the seasoning. It enhances the overall spiciness and contributes to the well-rounded flavor of the wings.
- Canola Oil (Optional): Canola oil may be used optionally for frying the wings. Like sunflower oil, it has a high smoke point, making it suitable for deep frying.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Combine all seasoning ingredients. Rinse chicken wings and pat dry with paper towels. Place in a bowl or tray and season liberally with Mardi gras wing seasoning.
Heat the sunflower oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet, about 2 minutes. Add seasoned chicken wings and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place chicken wings on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through cooking time.
Serve warm with your favorite topping or dip.
• Make sure to coat the wings with the seasoning evenly for maximum flavor.
• If you prefer crispy wings, preheat the oven to 425°F and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Publix Mardi Gras Wings Recipe
- Measuring Cup & Spoon
- Cutting Board
- mixing bowl
- paper towel
- 6 tablespoons of sunflower oil a light and neutral oil that helps in achieving a crispy and golden exterior on the wings, resulting in irresistible crunchiness.
- 2 teaspoons of dry yellow mustard adding a tangy and slightly pungent kick to the wings, elevating their flavor with a subtle hint of heat and acidity.
- 2 tablespoons of dried ground oregano bringing a delightful herbaceous note to the wings, enhancing their complexity and providing a fragrant aroma.
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper providing a gentle heat and a touch of spiciness to the wings, enhancing their overall taste profile with a subtle kick that lingers on the palate.
- 4 tablespoons of dried rosemary imparting a woody and aromatic essence to the wings, infusing them with a distinct herbal flavor that adds depth and character.
- 8 tablespoons of Mardi Gras Wing Seasoning recipe a tantalizing blend of spices that captures the vibrant flavors of New Orleans, infusing the chicken wings with a zesty and aromatic Cajun profile.
- 2 tablespoons of Tony’s Creole seasoning further enhancing the bold and authentic Cajun flavor of the wings, adding a tantalizing blend of spices that includes paprika, garlic, and other herbs.
- 4 pounds of whole chicken wings leg, wing, tip, the star of the dish, providing a combination of tender dark and white meat that becomes irresistibly juicy and delicious when cooked.
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt ensuring the wings are perfectly seasoned, enhancing their taste and helping to tenderize the meat for a juicy and succulent texture.
- 2 tablespoons of garlic powder intensifying the savory profile of the wings, infusing them with a robust and aromatic taste that enhances the overall seasoning blend.
- 6 tablespoons of canola oil optional, an alternative oil choice for coating the wings, offering a light and neutral flavor that helps in achieving a crispy texture while allowing the spices to shine.
- 4 tablespoons of chili powder contributing a bold and smoky flavor to the wings, delivering a moderate level of spiciness that adds a fiery kick to each bite.
- 3 teaspoons of cumin adding an earthy and warm note to the wings, contributing a distinct depth of flavor and creating a harmonious balance with the other spices.
- Preheat your oven to a sizzling 400°F.
- Prepare the Mardi gras seasoning, combining all of its ingredients in a bowl. Rinse the chicken wings and pat them dry with paper towels before transferring them into another container. Generously season the wings with the prepared mix.
- Heat sunflower oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about two minutes. Throw the seasoned wings into the hot oil and cook them for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cooked chicken wings on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, flipping them halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Serve the hot, delicious wings with your favorite side or dip.
What to serve with Publix mardi gras wings?
Publix Mardi Gras Wings can be served with various sides such as celery and carrot sticks, potato chips, french fries, coleslaw, roasted vegetables or your favorite dip.
How to store leftover Publix mardi gras wings?
You can store leftover Publix mardi gras wings in an airtight container or zip-lock bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply warm them up in a skillet over medium heat or pop them into the oven at 375°F until heated through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
As long as the chicken is thoroughly cooked and all ingredients are pasteurized, pregnant women can eat Publix Mardi Gras Wings.
Is the Mardi Gras Wing Seasoning spicy?
The seasoning is not overly spicy but does have a bit of kick from the cayenne pepper and paprika.
Can I use frozen wings for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen wings for this recipe. However, you will need to increase the cooking time by 5-10 minutes.
Can I make the Mardi Gras Wing Seasoning in advance?
Yes, you can mix up a batch of the seasoning in advance and store it in an airtight container for later use.
Publix Mardi Gras Wings are a delicious, flavorful and easy-to-make appetizer or main dish for any occasion. With just a few ingredients and about 30 minutes of cooking time, you can have these savory wings ready to enjoy in no time!
Be sure to adjust the spiciness of the seasoning depending on your preference, and serve with your favorite sides for the perfect meal.
I really hope you found this recipe helpful. Please share this recipe with your family and friends and comment below if you have any questions.