Last Updated on September 20, 2023
Surf and turf burritos are a delicious and satisfying combination of land and sea. This easy-to-make meal is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or lunch the next day!
It only takes minutes to assemble the ingredients, making it the perfect meal for busy weeknights or when you’re short on time. With just a few simple steps, you can quickly create a delicious surf and turf burrito that will have everyone asking for seconds!
Just keep reading and you will find out how to make this delicious dish in no time. Plus, you’ll get some great tips to make this even better. So let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is Surf and Turf Burrito?
Surf and turf burritos are the perfect combination of land and sea. They are a delicious and satisfying meal that is packed with protein. The main ingredients in these burritos include steak, shrimp, rice, beans, cheese, salsa, and crema all rolled up into one convenient package!
This versatile dish can be served as a meal, snack, or appetizer. To make it even better, you can customize the ingredients to your taste.
Whether you like it spicy or mild, these burritos will please everyone’s palates! With a few simple steps and a little preparation time, you can easily create a delicious surf and turf burrito in no time.
You’ll also like the following Dinner recipes!
What does it taste like?
Surf and turf burrito is a combination of two classic flavors – land and sea. The main ingredients for this dish are steak, shrimp, and seasonings that are wrapped in a large flour tortilla. It makes for the perfect quick dinner or lunch on the go.
The combination of proteins gives this dish an extra flavor boost that will leave your taste buds delighted. With the richness of steak and the sweetness of shrimp, this burrito is sure to please everyone in the family. Plus, it’s an easy way to get some protein into your diet!
How did I first get introduced to the Surf and Turf Burrito?
My first introduction to the surf and turf burrito was when I lived in Mexico for several months. At that time, I was trying all sorts of Mexican dishes and this one quickly became a favorite.
The combination of steak and shrimp gave it an extra flavor boost that made it stand out from the other dishes I tried. I asked around to figure out how to make it and was surprised at how easy it was!
All I needed were a few ingredients, some time, and a bit of patience. It didn’t take long before I became an expert in making this delicious dish. Since then, I have been sharing the recipe with my friends who also enjoy this tasty treat.
Surf and turf burrito is now a regular in my rotation of meals every week. Quick to make, delicious to eat, and packed with protein – what more could you ask for? I can’t think of anything better! So why not give it a try today?
How to make Surf and Turf Burrito?
Making surf and turf burritos is easy and doesn’t take long. All you need are a few simple ingredients that you can pick up at your local grocery store. Here’s what you will need to do:
- Extra Large Shrimp: This ingredient helps to add the ‘surf’ part of a surf and turf burrito.
- Thin Steaks: This adds the delicious ‘turf’ flavor and texture to the dish.
- Garlic Chile Oil: This spicy flavor is used to give a kick to the overall taste of this burrito.
- Avocado or Olive Oil: This oil helps to keep the ingredients from sticking to the pan.
- Smoked Paprika: This rich and smokey flavor adds an aromatic element to this burrito.
- Salt and Pepper: Used to season and add a little extra flavor.
- Burrito Size Flour Tortillas: The perfect size for a delicious surf and turf burrito!
- Refried Beans: A delicious and creamy bean mixture that adds a great texture to the burrito.
- Mexican Rice: This rice gives the dish an authentic Mexican flavor and is usually cooked with garlic, cumin, and onion.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: Adds a savory twist to this delicious burrito.
- Red and Green Salsa: Used to add a refreshing, spicy flavor.
- Mexican Crema: This cream is often used as a topping for the burrito and adds a cool contrast to the spices in the dish.
Prepare the ingredients
- Peel and clean the shrimp
- Cut the steak into small cubes
- Mix together garlic chile oil, avocado or olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper
Cook the steak
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the steak to the skillet and season with the garlic-chile oil mixture.
- Cook until golden brown.
Cook the shrimp
- Heat a separate skillet on medium heat.
- Add the shrimp and season with the garlic-chile oil mixture.
- Cook until pink in color, about 2 minutes per side.
Assemble The Burrito
- Lay out a burrito-size flour tortilla on a flat surface.
- Add a layer of refried beans, followed by the steak and shrimp.
- Top with Mexican rice, Monterey Jack cheese, red and green salsa, and Mexican crema.
- Fold in the sides of the burrito and roll up tightly.
- Make sure to season the steak and shrimp well. It helps to bring out the flavors of the dish.
- When cooking the steak, make sure it’s golden brown on both sides. This will help to ensure a juicy steak that won’t be tough or dry.
- To give your burrito an extra flavor boost, try adding some fresh cilantro and lime juice.
- If you’re not a fan of spicy food, just use mild salsa instead of red and green salsa.
What to serve with Surf and Turf Burrito?
Here are some great sides to accompany your surf and turf burrito:
- Mexican rice
- Black beans
- Corn on the cob
- Crispy chips
- Margaritas or beer
How to store leftover Surf and Turf Burrito?
Leftover surf and turf burritos can easily be stored in the fridge for up to three days. To store, place the burritos in an airtight container or wrap them individually with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
When ready to eat, simply reheat in the microwave until warm and enjoy! If you want to save your surf and turf burrito for later, you can also freeze them.
To do this, wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer-safe container or bag. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can enjoy this burrito as part of a healthy diet. However, it’s important to make sure that the shrimp is cooked all the way through and that any soft cheeses used are pasteurized.
Additionally, pregnant women should avoid eating salsa or hot sauces with raw vegetables due to the risk of contamination from bacteria such as listeria.
Surf and Turf Burrito Recipe
- large skillet
- 10 peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1 lb Top Sirloin Steak, Cut Into 1-inch Cubes
- 2 tbsp Garlic Chile Oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste To Taste
- Burrito Size Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup Traditional Refried Beans
- 11/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Red and Green Salsa to taste
- Mexican Crema to taste
- Gather all the ingredients needed for this delicious dish. Peel and clean your shrimp, then cut the steak into cubes. In a small bowl, mix together garlic-chile oil, avocado or olive oil, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to make a seasoning mixture.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add the steak cubes. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the top and cook until golden brown.
- Heat a separate skillet on medium heat and add the shrimp to it. Season with the garlic-chile oil mixture and cook for 2 minutes per side or until pink in color.
- On a flat surface, place your burrito-size flour tortilla. Layer on the refried beans, followed by the steak and shrimp. Top with Mexican rice, Monterey Jack cheese, red and green salsa, and Mexican crema. Fold in the sides of the burrito before rolling up tightly to complete.
Is the Surf and Turf Burrito healthy?
Yes, the surf and turf burrito can be a healthy meal when eaten in moderation. It is an excellent source of protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Plus, it doesn’t contain unhealthy fats like some other dishes.
Can I make a variation of the Surf and Turf Burrito?
Yes, there are many variations of this burrito that you can make. Try adding grilled vegetables like bell peppers and onions to give it a tasty twist. You can also switch up the proteins by using cooked chicken or ground beef instead of steak and shrimp.
Does this dish contain any allergens?
Yes, surf and turf burritos may contain some common allergens, including shellfish (shrimp), dairy (cheese), wheat (flour tortillas), and soy (refried beans). If you have any food allergies, check the ingredients before making this dish.
In This article, we covered the basics of making a surf and turf burrito. We talked about the ingredients you’ll need and how to assemble them into a delicious meal. We also provided some serving suggestions and tips for storing any leftovers.
If you’ve been looking for an easy and delicious way to switch up your dinner routine, look no further than the Surf and Turf Burrito! With a few simple ingredients and steps, you can have an amazing meal that the whole family will love.
Thank you for reading this article, please share this with your friends and family so they can enjoy this tasty dish too!
You’ll also like the latest recipes!
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.