Last Updated on November 4, 2023
If you are a fan of banana bread then you have to try Fanny Farmer’s delicious recipe! This classic banana bread is the perfect way to use up ripe bananas and make a tasty treat for your family.
It has just the right amount of sweetness, a moist and fluffy texture, and crunchy nuts for added flavor. Plus, it only takes about an hour from start to finish – so it’s perfect for those busy weeknights!
So, what are you waiting for? Follow our step-by-step instructions and enjoy a slice of Fanny Farmer’s delicious banana bread.
What is Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread?
Fanny Farmer’s banana bread is a classic recipe that has been around for generations. It was first published in Fanny Farmer’s 1896 cookbook, The Boston Cooking School Cook Book, and has since become an American favorite.
It is made with mashed ripe bananas, eggs, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and your choice of chopped nuts. The result is a moist and delicious loaf that everyone can enjoy!
What does fannie farmer banana bread taste like?
Fanny Farmer’s banana bread has a sweet and slightly tart flavor from the ripe bananas. The texture is fluffy and moist, with a slight crunch from the nuts.
It also has an amazing aroma that fills your kitchen as it bakes – making it hard to resist taking a bite!
How did I first get introduced to Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread?
I first got introduced to Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread when I was in college. One of my roommates had made it for our housewarming party and everyone raved about how delicious it was.
After taking a bite, I immediately fell in love with the sweet and slightly tart flavor, as well as the fluffy texture. From then on, I knew I had to learn how to make this classic bread.
I was lucky enough to find the original recipe in Fanny Farmer’s cookbook, The Boston Cooking School Cook Book. It listed all of the ingredients and step-by-step instructions for making a perfect loaf of banana bread.
I followed them exactly and was amazed at how easy it was! In no time at all, I had a delicious loaf of Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread.
I have since made Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread countless times and it never fails to impress my family and friends. Everyone loves the flavor, texture, and aroma that comes from baking this classic recipe. Plus, it is so simple to make that even novice bakers can whip it up in no time.
How to make Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread?
Making Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread is surprisingly easy! All you need to do is gather the ingredients & follow the steps below:
You May Also Like These Dessert Recipes:
- Recipe of Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie
- Linda’s Fudge Cake Recipe (Copycat version)
- Duncan Hines Cherry Pie Copycat Recipe
Ingredients For fannie farmer banana bread recipe
- Banana: This is the main ingredient and what gives the bread its unique flavor.
- Eggs: This acts as a binder and helps hold the ingredients together.
- Flour: All-purpose flour provides a structure for the bread and gives it a light texture.
- Sugar: Adds sweetness to balance out the bananas’ tartness.
- Salt: Enhances other flavors and helps to balance out the sweetness.
- Baking soda: Helps the bread rise.
- Nuts: Optional, but adds a nice crunchy texture.
Step-by-step instructions For banana bread recipe fanny farmer
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they form a smooth paste. Add eggs and mix until blended.
Add the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and nuts to the banana mixture. Stir until everything is fully incorporated.
Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and spread it out evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and transferring it to a wire rack.
Tips For fannie farmer banana nut bread
– For a healthier version, replace the sugar with honey or maple syrup.
– If you like your banana bread extra sweet, add some chocolate chips or raisins to the batter.
– If you want a more dense texture, try adding 1/2 cup of melted butter to the batter before baking.
– For an even more moist and flavorful bread, add 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream to the batter.
– If you don’t have any nuts on hand, try adding some shredded coconut or chopped dried fruit to the batter.
– For an extra touch of flavor, sprinkle a few tablespoons of cinnamon sugar over the top before baking.
– To make sure your banana bread is perfectly cooked, check it with a toothpick after 45 minutes. If the toothpick comes out clean, then your banana bread is done.
Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread Recipe
- Baking pan
- 1 cup of finely sifted all-purpose flour ensuring a velvety and tender texture
- 1 egg lovingly beaten until light and frothy
- 1/4 cup of your choice of perfectly chopped nuts whether it’s crunchy almonds, buttery pecans, or delightful walnuts, adding a delightful crunch and nutty flavor to the batter
- 1/2 cup of fine granulated sugar adding just the right amount of sweetness to the batter
- 1.5 perfectly ripe bananas meticulously mashed to a smooth and creamy consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon of exquisite sea salt harvested from pristine waters to enhance the overall taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of premium baking soda carefully measured for optimal leavening and a fluffy texture
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they form a smooth paste. Add eggs and mix until blended.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and nuts to the banana mixture. Stir until everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and spread it out evenly. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and transferring it to a wire rack.
Calories: 250 kcal
What to serve with Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread?
Fanny Farmer’s banana bread is delicious on its own, but it can also be served with a variety of sides. For breakfast, try pairing it with Greek yogurt or a side of scrambled eggs.
For lunch or dinner, enjoy it with a cup of soup or a light salad. It also makes an excellent snack when paired with your favorite nut butter or jam!
How to store leftover Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread?
Leftover Fanny Farmer’s banana bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To keep it fresh longer, wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
can pregnant women eat banana bread?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat Fanny Farmer’s banana bread as long as they are sure the ingredients used are safe for their unborn baby.
Make sure to check with your doctor first before consuming any potentially allergenic ingredients such as nuts or eggs.
What is the best way to enjoy Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread?
Fanny Farmer’s banana bread is best enjoyed fresh out of the oven, when the texture is light and fluffy. To give it a sweet and crunchy topping, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over the top before baking. Or for an extra dose of sweetness, add some chocolate chips or raisins to the batter.
Can Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread be made vegan?
Yes, Fanny Farmer’s banana bread can easily be made vegan by substituting the eggs for flax or chia eggs and using non-dairy milk such as almond or oat milk. You can also use coconut oil instead of butter and replace the sugar with maple syrup or honey.
Can I make Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread without a mixer?
Yes, you can make Fanny Farmer’s banana bread without a mixer. All you need to do is mash the bananas with a fork and stir in all of the other ingredients until combined. Then, pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake according to the instructions.
Now that you know how to make Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread, why not try it out for yourself? It is sure to become a new family favorite!
With its sweet and tart flavors, fluffy texture, and easy-to-follow steps, this classic recipe will have you baking up delicious loaves in no time.
Thank you for reading! Please share this article with anyone who loves baking and wants to try their hand at this classic bread.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Amish Molasses Cookie Copycat Recipe
- Vegan Mooncakes Copycat Recipe
- Mexican Blend Cheese Copycat Recipe
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.