Last Updated on June 24, 2023
Did you ever try the most popular dish, Moonshine banana bread pudding? If not, then you are missing out on something extraordinary. This dish is a perfect combination of flavors and textures that will leave you wanting more. The best part is that it’s easy to make, requires minimal ingredients, and can be served hot or cold as an appetizer or dessert.
However, you can make this dish with different types of bread such as white, whole wheat, rye, or sourdough. So, would you like to make it at home?
If yes, check out this article. Here, you’ll find an easy and delicious recipe to make the Moonshine banana bread pudding. With this guide, you can easily make it at home with a few simple steps.
Table of Contents
What Is Moonshine banana bread pudding?
Moonshine banana bread pudding is a classic dessert dish made with white or brioche bread, ripe bananas, eggs, evaporated milk, and nutmeg.
It is an easy and delicious way to enjoy the sweet flavor of bananas in a warm and comforting dessert.
This recipe is especially popular during colder months as it provides a cozy treat that both children and adults can enjoy.
This dish is usually served with a vanilla custard or cream sauce on top, giving it an extra creamy and sweet taste. It is also often accompanied by some kind of crunchy topping such as toasted nuts or granola.
Where Did I First Try Moonshine banana bread pudding?
I first tried this dish at a family gathering last year. Everyone was very impressed with the flavor and texture of the bread pudding, and it quickly became a favorite among everyone in attendance.
When I tasted it, I could taste the sweetness of the bananas combined with the subtle nutmeg flavor and the creamy custard sauce. It was one of the most flavorful desserts I had ever tasted, and I knew right away it would become a favorite comfort food.
Besides, the texture of the pudding was just perfect. It had a moist, custard-like consistency that melted in my mouth. I loved it so much that I decided to recreate this dish at home.
I have been making Moonshine banana bread pudding ever since, experimenting with different types of bread and flavors. It is always a hit when I make it for family and friends.
You may also like the following Desserts Recipes!
- Bread: You will need a loaf of brioche or white bread for this recipe. You can also use a different type of bread if you prefer.
- Evaporated milk: For the custard-like base, you will need evaporated milk to give it an extra creamy texture.
- Warm milk: Use 1 cup of warm milk when making the pudding mixture. This will help to soften the bread and bind the ingredients together.
- Vanilla extract: Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the pudding.
- Nutmeg gush: Use 1 tablespoon of nutmeg to get a unique, sweet flavor and aroma.
- Ripe bananas: You will need 2 ripe bananas for this recipe. Be sure to mash them up before adding them to the pudding mixture.
- Egg yolks: For a fuller flavor, you will need 2 egg yolks for this recipe.
- Eggs: Use 2 eggs to bind the ingredients together and give the pudding a light and fluffy texture.
- Aluminum foil paper: You can use aluminum foil paper to wrap up the baking dish and prevent it from getting soggy.
Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and lightly grease the baking dish or tray with butter. Cut the brioche or white bread into cubic cubes and place them in a large bowl.
Mix evaporated milk, warm milk, vanilla extract, and nutmeg gush in another bowl and pour over the bread cubes.
Mash ripe bananas in a bowl and add them to the wet ingredients. Beat together egg yolks, eggs, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until light yellow in color.
Layer half of the bread mixture into a baking dish or tray and top with the remaining half. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and spread as evenly as possible.
Cover the baking dish or tray with aluminum foil paper and bake for 40 minutes at 350°F (176°C). Remove from oven, discard aluminum foil paper, and serve while it’s warm.
• Be sure to use ripe bananas for this recipe. The sweetness from the fruit will help to balance out the richness of the pudding mixture.
• If you want your banana bread pudding extra creamy, you can add an additional half cup of evaporated milk.
• You can also sprinkle some cinnamon powder or chopped nuts over the top for added flavor and texture.
• If you want a healthier of this dessert, try replacing white bread with whole wheat bread or adding dried fruit instead of sugar.
• For an extra indulgent treat, serve your moonshine banana bread pudding with some ice cream or whipped cream on top.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
You can replace the evaporated milk with almond or coconut milk for a vegan-friendly version. You can also substitute the butter and sugar with honey or maple syrup to make it healthier.
If you’re looking for a gluten-free alternative, try using gluten-free bread instead of white bread. Lastly, you can add other ingredients like dried fruits, chocolate chips, or nuts to give your banana bread pudding a unique twist.
Moonshine Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 beater
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 bread slicer
- 1 loaf brioche or white bread
- ⅔ cup Evaporated milk
- 1 cup Warm milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Nutmeg gush
- 2 Ripe bananas
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Aluminum foil paper
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C) and lightly grease the baking dish or tray with butter. Cut the brioche or white bread into cubic cubes and place them in a large bowl.
- Mix evaporated milk, warm milk, vanilla extract, and nutmeg gush in another bowl and pour over the bread cubes.
- Mash ripe bananas in a bowl and add them to the wet ingredients. Beat together egg yolks, eggs, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until light yellow in color.
- Layer half of the bread mixture into a baking dish or tray and top with the remaining half. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and spread as evenly as possible.
- Cover the baking dish or tray with aluminum foil paper and bake for 40 minutes at 350°F (176°C). Remove from oven, discard aluminum foil paper, and serve while it’s warm.
- Be sure to use ripe bananas for this recipe. The sweetness from the fruit will help to balance out the richness of the pudding mixture.
- If you want your banana bread pudding extra creamy, you can add an additional half cup of evaporated milk.
- You can also sprinkle some cinnamon powder or chopped nuts over the top for added flavor and texture.
Nutrition information per serving:
- Calories: 260 kcal
- Fat: 8.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Fiber: 2.2 g
- Sugar: 13 g
How to Store Leftover Moonshine banana bread pudding?
You can store leftover moonshine banana bread pudding in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place slices or cubes of it onto a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (176°C) for about 10 minutes.
Alternatively, you can microwave it for 1-2 minutes until warm.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, as long as the eggs and other ingredients used are cooked thoroughly. Indeed, eggs are a good source of choline, which is important for fetal brain development.
Can I make this recipe without eggs?
Yes, you can substitute the egg with a flax or chia seed egg. This will also make the banana bread pudding vegan-friendly.
What other dessert recipes could I make with ripe bananas?
Ripe bananas can be used to make a variety of delicious desserts, such as banana bread, banana cupcakes, banana ice cream, or even banana pancakes. You can also use them in smoothies, oatmeal, or yogurt bowls.
Is moonshine banana bread pudding gluten-free?
Yes, it can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free bread instead of white bread. You could also replace the flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour for a completely gluten-free version.
Can I freeze banana bread pudding?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread pudding. To do so, transfer the slices into a sealed freezer bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
Moonshine banana bread pudding is a delicious and comforting dessert that’s easy to make. By combining ripe bananas, eggs, evaporated milk, butter, sugar, and white bread you’ll have a delightful treat that everyone will love. Plus, it’s loaded with nutrition!
Make sure to cook this dessert thoroughly and store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days. The best part is you can customize this recipe according to your preference, so feel free to add other ingredients like nuts or dried fruits.
Also, share this delicious dessert with friends and family, they will thank you for it!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.