Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is a classic dessert from one of New York City’s most iconic restaurants.
This delicious dish has all the flavors you love in a traditional cheesecake. But what makes it truly special is its deliciously crisp crust that adds an extra layer of flavor to each bite.
Do you want to recreate this at home? With this guide, you can recreate this classic dessert in your own kitchen and enjoy the original taste of New York City.
Table of Contents
What is Carnegie Deli Cheesecake?
Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is a delicious cheesecake hailing from the Carnegie Deli in New York City. This famous restaurant has been serving this creamy, delicious dessert since 1937 and it’s become a beloved staple of their menu ever since.
The key to this lies in its unique and delicious crust made with butter, flour, sugar, lemon rind, and vanilla extract. The creamy filling is made with cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and eggs for a luscious texture.
What does it taste like?
Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is a decadent and creamy dessert with a lightly sweet flavor. The buttery crust adds an extra level of flavor that balances out the tartness of the filling.
The cream cheese is rich and velvety, blending perfectly with the lemon juice for an unforgettable taste experience.
How did I first get introduced to the Carnegie Deli Cheesecake?
I first discovered Carnegie Deli Cheesecake while visiting New York City in the summer of 2020. As a huge fan of cheesecake, I was eager to try this legendary dessert for myself.
The restaurant itself had an air of nostalgia about it – it had been serving classic deli favorites since 1937. The atmosphere was warm and inviting, and the cheesecakes were lined up on the countertop.
I was immediately drawn to the Carnegie Deli Cheesecake. It had a beautiful golden crust that was perfectly crisp and crumbly, and it smelled heavenly. The filling was velvety smooth and creamy, with just the right amount of lemon tartness to balance out the sweetness of the sugar.
When I took my first bite, I was in awe. It was the perfect combination of creamy and crunchy texture, with an unmistakable flavor that can only be found at Carnegie Deli. It was love at first bite!
Since then, I’ve been hooked on Carnegie Deli Cheesecake whenever I visit New York City. It’s a classic dessert that pays homage to this iconic city and its timeless deli favorites. And now I have the perfect instruction for making it. So, I can recreate it at home whenever I want!
How to make Carnegie Deli Cheesecake?
Making Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is relatively easy. All you need are a few simple ingredients and the step-by-step instructions provided in this guide:
You May Also Like These Dessert Recipes:
- Reese Tapioca Pudding Copycat Recipe
- Applebee’s Blue Ribbon Brownie Copycat Recipe
- Duncan Hines Cherry Pie Copycat Recipe
- All-purpose flour: This is the main ingredient for the crust.
- Sugar: This sweetener will help balance out the tartness of the filling.
- Lemon rind: Grating fresh lemon rind adds an extra zesty flavor to the cheesecake.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to this dessert.
- Egg yolk: The egg yolk will help bind the crust together.
- Unsalted butter: For the crust, you’ll need unsalted butter to ensure that the recipe doesn’t turn out too salty.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese is a staple ingredient for any cheesecake recipe. It should be softened before use.
- Sugar: Sugar helps sweeten the cheesecake and balance out the tartness of the cream cheese.
- Flour: Flour helps to thicken up the filling so it’s not runny.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice adds a tangy flavor that complements the sweetness of the sugar.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to this dessert.
- Eggs: Eggs help bind the filling together so it’s not too runny.
- Egg yolk: The egg yolk helps bind the crust together and adds richness to the cheesecake.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream gives the cheesecake a creamy texture and helps keep it from being too dry.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your 9-inch springform pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, lemon rind, and vanilla extract until combined. Add in the egg yolk and mix until well incorporated. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the dry mixture. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, mix together until the mixture resembles a course meal. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the springform pan and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing until each egg is fully incorporated. Beat in the heavy cream until combined.
Once the crust has cooled, pour the filling on top and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Place back in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cheesecake is set but still slightly jiggly in the center. Allow to cool before serving.
Garnish with fresh berries and a dusting of powdered sugar before serving, if you desire.
-For a smoother cheesecake, you can use an electric mixer instead of whisking the filling by hand.
-Don’t over-mix the batter – this will cause the cheesecake to be dense and dry.
-Make sure your cream cheese is softened before use for an easier mixing process.
-The edges should look lightly golden brown when done baking.
-Allow the cheesecake to cool completely before cutting, as it will continue to set in the fridge.
-For a sweeter crust, you can add an additional 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Carnegie Deli Cheesecake Recipe
- 9-inch springform pan
- Hand mixer
For the crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4-inch bits
For the filling
- 1 1⁄4 lbs softened cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp flour
- 1 1⁄2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your 9-inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, lemon rind, and vanilla extract until combined. Add in the egg yolk and mix until well incorporated. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the dry mixture. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, mix together until the mixture resembles a course meal. Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the springform pan and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing until each egg is fully incorporated. Beat in the heavy cream until combined.
- Once the crust has cooled, pour the filling on top and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Place back in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cheesecake is set but still slightly jiggly in the center. Allow to cool before serving.
- Garnish with fresh berries and a dusting of powdered sugar before serving, if you desire.
Calories: 505 kcal
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Protein: 7 g
Fat: 38 g
Saturated fat: 23 g
Cholesterol: 183 mg
Sodium: 214 mg
Potassium: 72 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 27 g
Vitamin A: 1317 IU
Vitamin C: 1 mg
Calcium: 94 mg
Iron: 1 mg
What to serve with Carnegie Deli Cheesecake?
Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is best served with a dollop of freshly whipped cream or a drizzle of homemade raspberry sauce. It’s also delicious with fresh raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries.
For an extra special treat, you can top it off with caramelized bananas or chocolate chips. You could even serve it alongside some warm cookies or brownies for an unexpected twist!
How to store leftover Carnegie Deli Cheesecake?
Leftover Carnegie Deli Cheesecake should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last up to 3 days when kept chilled. If you plan on keeping it longer than that, you can freeze it by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
Place the wrapped cheesecake into a freezer-safe bag or container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Though Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is generally considered safe for pregnant women, it’s always advisable to check with your doctor first. The heavy cream and egg yolks in this may contain listeria bacteria which can be harmful to both you and your baby.
If you do decide to consume this dessert while pregnant, make sure that all of the ingredients are fresh and properly cooked before eating. Additionally, it’s best to consume the cheesecake within a couple of days after making it.
What type of pan should I use for Carnegie Deli Cheesecake?
For best results, it’s recommended to use a 9-inch springform pan. This will ensure that the cheesecake has enough room to rise and can be easily removed from the pan once cooled.
Can I make this without eggs?
Unfortunately, eggs are necessary in this as they help to bind the crust together and give the cheesecake its creamy texture. Without them, the cheesecake may not set properly or taste as rich and flavorful.
Can I use a different type of cream cheese?
Yes! You can use any type of cream cheese you’d like, whether it’s low-fat or full-fat. Just keep in mind that higher fat content will yield a richer and creamier cheesecake.
Can I make this without a springform pan?
Yes, you can use a standard 9-inch round cake pan if you don’t have a springform pan on hand. Just keep in mind that it may be more difficult to remove the cheesecake from the pan once cooled.
There you have it – the perfect recipe for creating Carnegie Deli Cheesecake in your own home. Deliciously creamy with just the right amount of sweetness, this classic dessert will take you straight back to New York City.
Whether you’re hosting a party, feeding your family, or just spoiling yourself, Carnegie Deli Cheesecake is sure to be a hit! So what are you waiting for? Give it a try today and enjoy the sweet taste of this classic New York treat!
Thank you for taking the time to learn about how to make Carnegie Deli Cheesecake. I hope you now feel confident enough to give it a try yourself! Please share this article with your friends and family so they can enjoy this classic New York treat too!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Isi Whip Cream Recipe (Copycat Version)
- Mexican Blend Cheese Copycat Recipe
- Fanny Farmer’s Banana Bread Recipe (Copycat Version)
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.