Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Patti LaBelle is a famous American singer and actress and her hot water cornbread recipe has been making waves in the kitchen for years!
This dish is perfect for any occasion, big or small. It’s tasty, easy to make, and requires minimal ingredients. The mixture of the cornmeal, hot water, oil, salt and sugar create an irresistible combination that you’ll love!
This step-by-step guide will help you make hot water cornbread in no time. So, let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What is patti labelle hot water cornbread?
Patti LaBelle’s Hot Water Cornbread is an easy-to-make and tantalizing treat. It features a combination of yellow cornmeal, hot water, canola oil, salt, and sugar which creates a scrumptious and crunchy texture that’s sure to have your family or friends begging for more!
This delightful dish is bound to be a hit at any gathering! You can enjoy this delectable delight as an accompaniment to your favorite dinner dishes or simply on its own. It’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser every time!
What Does Patti LaBelle Hot Water Cornbread Taste Like?
Patti LaBelle’s hot water cornbread has a golden, crispy exterior with a soft and moist interior. It has a sweet and savory flavor from the sugar and salt combination, which makes it a great side dish to any meal.
The cornmeal provides a unique texture that pairs perfectly with the other ingredients.
How did I first get introduced to the patti labelle hot water cornbread?
I first got introduced to patti labelle hot water cornbread through a friend. It was served as a snack at a friend’s home when I went for a gathering.
There where many snacks served that night but one thing that caught my eyes was the Patti Labelle hot water cornbread. It looked so inviting and flavorful that I decided to give it a try.
I took the first bite of this delightful dish and I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor it had. The flavor of cornmeal and sugar creates a combination that is absolutely delicious.
I was so impressed that I started searching for the recipe and decided to make my own batch of patti labelle hot water cornbread.
So after some online research and tweaking of the ingredients, I was able to come up with my own version of Patti Labelle hot water cornbread. This is now a staple in my home, and it is the perfect way to end any meal.
So, if you are looking for an easy yet delicious recipe that will wow your guests, then the Patti Labelle hot water cornbread should definitely be on your list!
How to make patti labelle hot water cornbread ?
Making, patti labelle hot water cornbread is a fairly simple and straightforward process. All you need is focus on the steps and instructions.
You can also read the following appetizer recipes:
- Bahama Breeze Beef Empanadas Copycat Recipe
- Flavor God Taco Tuesday Copycat Recipe
- Red Robin Beer Cheese Copycat Recipe
- Yellow Cornmeal: A ground grain made from dried corn, used as an ingredient in baking and cooking.
- Hot Water: Water heated to the point that it is hot to the touch. Used for various purposes such as dissolving ingredients or hydrating doughs.
- Canola Oil: A type of vegetable oil commonly used for cooking and baking.
- Salt: An essential mineral usually used to season food or other recipes.
- Sugar: A sweetener derived from either cane or beet sugar used in a variety of culinary applications. Can also be granulated or powdered form.
Step by step instructions
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal and hot water until it forms a thick paste.
Heat the canola oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
Using a large spoon, scoop up the cornmeal and shape it into patties. If you prefer, you can also use your hands but make sure they are moistened with water first to avoid burning them due to the heat of the cornmeal. Another way to shape the batter into patties is by dampening your hands with water and flattening the batter into large teaspoonfuls. This will help ensure that the patties are evenly formed.
Once the oil is hot, add the patties one by one. Fry each side of the patties for about 2 minutes each until golden brown.
Remove from the heat and place on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
Sprinkle it with salt and sugar before serving.
• Make sure to use hot water in order to avoid lumps in the cornmeal mixture.
• Use a spatula to flip the patties, as they are fragile and may break easily.
• The oil should be hot but not smoking in order to create the perfect golden color on your patties.
Patti LaBelle Hot Water Cornbread Recipe
- 1 Large Bowl
- frying pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 pot
- a whisk
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ cup hot water
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal and hot water until it forms a thick paste.
- Heat the canola oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Using a large spoon, scoop up the cornmeal and shape it into patties. If you prefer, you can also use your hands but make sure they are moistened with water first to avoid burning them due to the heat of the cornmeal. Another way to shape the batter into patties is by dampening your hands with water and flattening the batter into large teaspoonfuls. This will help ensure that the patties are evenly formed.
- Once the oil is hot, add the patties one by one. Fry each side of the patties for about 2 minutes each until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and place on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Sprinkle it with salt and sugar before serving.
- Make sure to use hot water in order to avoid lumps in the cornmeal mixture.
- Use a spatula to flip the patties, as they are fragile and may break easily.
- The oil should be hot but not smoking in order to create the perfect golden color on your patties.
What to serve with patti labelle hot water cornbread?
Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread is perfect served with a side of greens such as collard greens or kale, alongside a savory entrée like black eyed peas. Or, it makes a great side for breakfast with eggs and bacon.
How to store leftover patti labelle hot water cornbread?
You can store leftover Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply microwave or pan-fry until warm.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can enjoy Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread as long as it is cooked to the appropriate temperature and using safe ingredients.
Can I bake the patties instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the patties at 350°F for 15-20 minutes. Just make sure to spray the baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray before baking.
Can I use different types of oil other than canola oil?
Yes, you can use any type of oil that is safe for cooking at high temperatures such as vegetable or sunflower oil.
Can I make the cornmeal mixture ahead of time?
Absolutely! The mixture will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
How can I make the cornbread even crispier?
To make the cornbread extra crispy, try adding an extra tablespoon of sugar to the mixture before frying. The sugar will caramelize when it hits the hot oil and give your patties an irresistibly crunchy texture.
Can I use this recipe for other types of cornbread?
Yes, this recipe is versatile enough to be used for all types of cornbread. All you need to do is adjust the ingredients amounts based on your preference.
Is this recipe suitable for vegetarians?
Yes, Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread is vegetarian-friendly as it does not contain any animal products.
How much sugar is used in the recipe?
The recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of sugar to be added to the cornmeal mixture. This adds a slight sweetness to the dish that pairs nicely with other savory ingredients.
Is this a spicy dish?
No, Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread is not a spicy dish. It’s simply seasoned with salt and sugar, so it’s perfect for those who are sensitive to spice.
What can I substitute for the yellow cornmeal?
You can use white or whole-grain cornmeal as a substitute for the yellow cornmeal. Depending on your preference, you may find that one type of meal yields a more flavorful dish than the other. Additionally, you can also use masa harina (corn flour) in place of the cornmeal.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can easily make this recipe gluten-free by substituting the yellow cornmeal with a gluten-free variety such as quinoa or chickpea flour. Just be sure to double check all your ingredients for any hidden sources of gluten before using them in this recipe.
Can I add different seasonings to the patties?
Yes, you can definitely customize the flavor of your Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread by adding other seasonings. Try adding garlic powder, paprika, or chili powder for an extra kick. Or, add some herbs such as rosemary or thyme for a more subtle flavor.
Can I freeze the leftover patties?
Yes, you can store leftover Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, simply defrost in the refrigerator overnight before reheating in a skillet or oven.
Patti Labelle Hot Water Cornbread is a simple yet delicious dish that can be made in no time with minimal ingredients. It’s perfect for any occasion, big or small!
You now have all the information needed to make this amazing meal and wow your family and friends. So, gather the ingredients and start cooking!
Hope you have found this recipe helpful and will make it your go-to dish when you’re in a rush.
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it with your friends and family. Don’t forget to follow us for more delicious recipes and cooking tips.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!