Last Updated on February 24, 2024
Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic Southern dish that has been around for many years. This comforting, hearty casserole combines different flavors and textures to create a delicious meal that can easily feed a crowd.
Whether you’re hosting a family gathering or just need a hearty meal for dinner, Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is the perfect dish.
With its classic flavor and creamy texture, this casserole will definitely become a go-to dish for any occasion. So, get out your baking dish and gather the ingredients – it’s time to make a delicious Southern meal!
Table of Contents
What is Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole?
Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is a classic Southern dish made with cooked chicken, sautéed onion, water chestnuts, green beans, and pimientos. It also has a creamy base of condensed cream of celery soup mixed with mayonnaise and is topped with sharp cheddar cheese.
The combination of flavors and textures creates a comforting dish that will quickly become a family favorite. This casserole is simple to prepare and can be easily adapted with your own favorite ingredients.
For instance, you can add in diced cooked bacon or sausage for extra flavor or swap out the cheddar cheese for Monterey Jack or mozzarella. Additionally, other vegetables such as bell peppers or mushrooms can be added for extra nutrition.
What does it taste like?
Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is a comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. The combination of flavors and textures creates a hearty, delicious meal. The chicken adds savory flavor to the casserole while the onion and water chestnuts add texture.
The creamy base of cream of celery soup mixed with mayonnaise pairs perfectly with the French-style green beans and pimientos. Finally, the sharp cheddar cheese adds a delicious flavorful finish to this classic Southern dish.
How did I first get introduced to Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole?
I first got introduced to Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole when I was researching classic Southern dishes. After stumbling across the recipe online, I decided to give it a try.
When I heard about American chef Paula Deen and her delicious recipes, I knew I had to try them out for myself! From her signature crab cakes to her classic fried chicken, I was drawn in by all the flavors she put together.
After reading through the recipe for Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole, I was intrigued by how easy it was to make. It only took a few ingredients and a few steps to put together this flavorful dish.
I decided to get my hands on the ingredients and make this delicious casserole for my family. I was surprised by how quickly the dish came together, and it didn’t take long to bake in the oven.
When I presented this dish to my family, they were amazed at how flavorful it was. Everyone loved the combination of chicken, vegetables, and creamy sauce that defined Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole.
Since that first time, I’ve been hooked on this classic Southern dish. It quickly became a favorite in my family, and is now something we make often for special occasions and family gatherings!
How to make Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole?
Making Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is very simple. All you need to do is gather the following ingredients & follow the steps below:
You May Also Like These Dinner Recipes:
- Ina Garten Curried Chicken Salad Copycat Recipe
- Cajun Ninja Pastalaya Copycat Recipe
- Stalekracker Pastalaya Copycat Recipe
- Cooked chicken: this classic casserole uses cooked chicken as the protein source. You can use rotisserie, grilled or boiled chicken as your base.
- Onion: This adds a subtle flavor and helps to balance the other ingredients in the dish.
- Water chestnuts: Water chestnuts add crunchiness and texture to this recipe. You can find canned water chestnuts which are already chopped and ready to use.
- French-style green beans: Green beans are a classic addition to this dish, adding flavor and nutrition.
- Pimientos: These small red peppers add a sweet-tangy flavor to the casserole. You can find these pre-chopped-in jars or cans at the grocery store.
- Cream of celery soup: This adds a creamy texture and flavor to the French-style casserole.
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is used as a binder in this recipe, helping to hold everything together.
- Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice Blend: This pre-packaged mix of rice saves time and adds flavor. Just follow the directions on the package for cooking it.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: This sharp cheese adds a wonderful flavor and creaminess to the casserole.
Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, water chestnuts, green beans, pimientos, cream of celery soup, mayonnaise, and the cooked wild rice blend. Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to greased baking dish; spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Enjoy your delicious Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole!
-If you don’t have time to cook the wild rice blend, you can use pre-cooked and frozen wild rice.
-Feel free to add in other vegetables such as bell peppers or mushrooms for added flavor and nutrition.
-For a flavorful variation, try adding in diced cooked bacon or sausage.
-You can also swap out the cheddar cheese for Monterey Jack or mozzarella.
Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
- Large Bowl
- baking dish
- 1/2 medium onion diced & sautéed, thoughtfully prepared to bring a savory and aromatic flavor, enhancing the overall taste profile with its caramelized and slightly sweet notes.
- 1/2 8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained & chopped, skillfully included to add a crunchy and textural element, offering a mild nutty flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- 1 14 ounce can French-style green beans, rinsed & drained, meticulously selected to bring a vibrant and crisp vegetable component, adding freshness and a pop of color to the dish.
- 1.5 cups diced cooked chicken tenderly prepared to provide a succulent and protein-rich component, adding heartiness and satisfying texture to the dish.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise carefully added to enhance the creaminess and richness of the dish, adding a tangy and velvety texture that binds the ingredients together.
- 1/2 4 ounce can pimientos, rinsed & drained, thoughtfully added to provide a tangy and slightly sweet flavor, enhancing the visual appeal and adding a hint of mild heat to the dish.
- 1/2 6 ounce box Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice blend, cooked according to package directions, thoughtfully prepared to provide a hearty and flavorful base, adding nuttiness and a pleasing texture to the dish.
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese meticulously sprinkled to bring a bold and tangy flavor, adding a creamy and melty element that complements the other ingredients.
- 1/2 10 ounce can condensed cream of celery soup, skillfully incorporated to create a velvety and creamy sauce, bringing a comforting and savory quality to the dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion, water chestnuts, green beans, pimientos, cream of celery soup, mayonnaise, and the cooked wild rice blend. Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to greased baking dish; spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Enjoy your delicious Paula Deen's Chicken and Rice Casserole!
Calories: 462 kcal | Carbohydrates: 25 g | Protein: 16 g | Fat: 32 g | Saturated Fat: 9 g | Cholesterol: 62 mg | Sodium: 808 mg | Potassium: 432 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 6 g | Vitamin A: 731 IU | Vitamin C: 16 mg | Calcium: 180 mg | Iron: 2 mg
What to serve with Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole?
Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole is an all-in-one dish that’s both hearty and flavorful. With it’s creamy base, savory chicken, crunchy vegetables, and cheese topping, this casserole makes a satisfying meal on its own.
But if you’re looking for something to pair with your casserole for a complete meal, you can’t go wrong with some simple accompaniments.
A light and refreshing salad is the perfect side dish to serve alongside this casserole. A fruit or green salad will provide a nice contrast with its crunchy texture and bright flavors. Alternatively, you could also opt for a creamy coleslaw or potato salad to add extra richness to your meal.
For a light and healthy option, you can serve some roasted vegetables as a side. Roasted broccoli or cauliflower complement the flavors in the casserole nicely. If you’re looking for something heartier, try adding a side of mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese to your plate.
How to store leftover Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole?
It is easy to store any leftover Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole in the refrigerator. Simply place the casserole dish in an airtight container or wrap it well with cling film. It will stay good for up to 4 days in the fridge, so you can enjoy it again later!
You can also freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. To freeze, transfer the cooled casserole to a freezer-safe container and label it with the date.
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen casserole again, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it in the oven or microwave.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, pregnant women can safely eat this dish. The ingredients used in Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole are all considered safe for pregnant women. However, it is important to use cooked chicken and ensure that it is fully cooked before eating.
Additionally, you may want to avoid adding extra salt or other seasonings to the casserole as some spices may cause discomfort for pregnant women.
Can I use other types of chicken instead of cooked chicken?
Yes, you can use other types of chicken such as grilled or boiled chicken for this recipe.
Can I make this dish vegan?
Yes, it is possible to make this dish vegan. Simply substitute the chicken with a meat alternative and swap out the mayonnaise for vegan mayo. Additionally, you can also use vegan cheese instead of cheddar cheese.
Can I make this dish in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this dish in a slow cooker. Simply place all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until everything is cooked through. Then turn off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can absolutely make this dish ahead of time. Simply prepare the casserole up until the baking stage, then cover it with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to bake, just preheat the oven and bake as directed.
Thank you for reading our guide on Paula Deen’s Chicken and Rice Casserole. This classic casserole is a great option for a quick weeknight dinner or as part of a larger holiday spread.
With its creamy base, savory chicken, crunchy vegetables, and cheese topping, this casserole makes a satisfying meal on its own. So what are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients and give this delicious dish a try!
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family if you found it helpful.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!