Last Updated on August 19, 2023
Pioneer is a popular food blogging show by Ree Drummond and Pioneer Woman slow cooker chicken thighs are their signature recipe.
This mouth-watering dish is made with only a handful of ingredients but packs bold flavors that everyone will love. It’s easy to make and takes very little effort. The chicken thighs are cooked in a slow cooker with a bucket full of flavorful ingredients.
In this article, we will explain the ingredients, as well as cooking tips and tricks for this delicious dish. We’ll also cover the nutrition information and answer a few common questions about Pioneer Woman slow cooker chicken thighs.
Table of Contents
What Are Pioneer Woman slow cooker chicken thighs?
Pioneer Woman slow cooker chicken thighs are a very simple and delicious dish made with bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs cooked in the slow cooker with flavorful ingredients such as onion, garlic, Dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, parsley, chicken broth, honey, and soy sauce. The result is a juicy and tender meal that is sure to please even the fussiest eaters.
It can be served with sides such as mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or even rice for a complete meal.
Where Did I First Try Pioneer woman slow cooker chicken thighs?
I first saw Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs last month when I visited Ree Drummond’s blog. She shared the recipe on her blog and it immediately caught my eye. I was intrigued by the combination of flavors and how easy it looked to make.
I tried it for myself, following her step-by-step instructions, and the results were amazing! The flavors of the honey, soy sauce, and mustard blended together perfectly. And the chicken was cooked to perfection – juicy and tender on the inside with a crispy skin on top.
Since that first time I’ve made Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs many times over; it has become a staple in my home. The flavors are always spot on, and I love that it’s quick enough for a weeknight meal yet still special enough for entertaining.
I used Ree Drummond’s recipe as a base but often customize it with different herbs and spices, depending on what I had in the pantry at the time. I’ve also experimented with different types of chicken – drumsticks, wings, and even chicken breasts – all with great results.
No matter how I change up the recipe, it always comes out tasting delicious! I highly recommend Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs to anyone looking for a simple yet flavorful dish. It is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
You May Also Like These Dinner Recipes:
- Recipe for Chili Mac Recipe Pioneer Woman
- Recipe of Barefoot Contessa Stuffed Shells
- Ina Garten Baked Ziti Copycat Recipe
- Chicken thighs: It is the main ingredient. It’s best to use bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for this recipe as it helps keep them juicy and flavorful while they cook.
- Onion: This adds sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a subtle yet distinct flavor to the dish.
- Dijon mustard: Mustard adds a tangy flavor and helps break down the chicken while it cooks.
- Red pepper flakes: The red pepper flakes add a nice kick of heat to the dish.
- Chicken broth: This will help keep everything moist as it cooks.
- Honey: Honey adds sweetness to the dish and helps balance out the other flavors.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce adds a savory umami flavor.
- Fresh parsley: Fresh parsley adds an herby note to the dish and can be used as a garnish.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is essential to make the chicken skin crispy and smooth.
- Satl and pepper: You will also need some salt and pepper to give it the right taste of saltiness and spicey.
Prepare the chicken by removing any fat and sprinkling it with salt and pepper.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken thighs skin side down. Let cook until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and transfer to the slow cooker.
To the same pan, add onion, garlic, and saute until vegetables are softened and fragrant. Transfer this mixture to the slow cooker as well.
In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, honey, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Pour this mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours, until chicken is cooked through and tender. Once done, carefully remove it from the slow cooker (it will be very tender) and sprinkle it with fresh parsley. Serve it with rice or whatever you like.
• If you prefer a thicker sauce, make a slurry with less cornstarch and cold water.
• To add even more flavor to the dish, try adding fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary.
• The leftovers make for great sandwiches or salads the next day.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
• If you don’t have Dijon mustard, you can use any type of prepared mustard.
• If you don’t have red pepper flakes, try adding a diced jalapeno for heat instead.
• You can substitute honey with maple syrup or agave nectar if desired.
• For a gluten-free option, try using tamari instead of soy sauce.
• If you don’t have fresh parsley, you can use dried herbs like oregano or thyme to add flavor.
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Slow cooker
- a large skillet
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, and skin-on
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Prepare the chicken by removing any fat and sprinkling it with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken thighs skin side down. Let cook until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and transfer to the slow cooker.
- To the same pan, add onion, garlic, and saute until vegetables are softened and fragrant. Transfer this mixture to the slow cooker as well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, honey, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Pour this mixture over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours, until chicken is cooked through and tender. Once done, carefully remove it from the slow cooker (it will be very tender) and sprinkle it with fresh parsley. Serve it with rice or whatever you like.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, make a slurry with less cornstarch and cold water.
- To add even more flavor to the dish, try adding fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary.
- The leftovers make for great sandwiches or salads the next day.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh
- Calories: 300 kcal
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- Sodium: 65mg
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
How to Store Leftover Pioneer woman slow cooker chicken thighs?
Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat, simply place the chicken thighs in a baking dish and bake at 350°F until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Alternatively, you can heat them in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until warmed through. If you’re planning to freeze the leftovers, let them cool completely before transferring them to a freezer-safe container.
The chicken thighs will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply defrost and follow either of the reheating methods above.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, this dish is safe for pregnant women to eat. However, we recommend consulting with a doctor before making any dietary decisions while pregnant.
Is this dish vegan?
No, this recipe contains chicken and other animal products such as mustard and honey. To make it vegan-friendly, replace the chicken with seitan or tofu and swap out the honey and mustard for vegan alternatives.
Should I use skinless chicken thighs?
No, we recommend keeping the skin on when cooking Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs as it helps keep the flavor and moisture inside while cooking. However, you can use skinless if desired.
Can I make this dish in an Instant Pot?
Yes, this dish can be made in an Instant Pot. Simply follow the same directions and cook for 15 minutes under high pressure, followed by a 10-minute natural release.
Now that you know all there is to know about Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs, I’m sure you’ll be whipping up this delicious dish in no time!
Not only is it simple to make and highly customizable, but it’s also incredibly satisfying and flavorful. Whether you serve it as a main or pair it with your favorite side dish, this slow cooker chicken thighs recipe is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
We hope you enjoyed learning how to make Pioneer Woman Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs. If you liked this recipe, please share it with your friends and family on social media or by email. Thanks for reading.
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Recipe of Barefoot Contessa Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Recipe for Barefoot Contessa Beef Braciole
- Recipe of Ina Garten Pumpkin Bread
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.