Last Updated on July 3, 2023
Broccoli ice cream is an innovative and delicious frozen treat that combines the health benefits of broccoli and natural sweeteners to create a light and creamy dessert. It is surprisingly easy to make and requires just a few ingredients!
With its smooth texture, subtle sweetness, and nutritional value, it’s sure to become your go-to summer treat. Besides, it is a great way to get your kids eating more vegetables without them even noticing.
However, you can learn to make this broccoli ice cream even if you are an adult, and it will make a delicious treat. For that, follow the below details.
Table of Contents
What Is Broccoli Ice Cream?
Broccoli ice cream is a creamy frozen dessert made with frozen bananas, riced or finely chopped broccoli, sweetener, milk of choice, cocoa powder, nuts, and berries. It offers the same indulgent sweetness and creamy texture as regular ice cream but with a unique flavor that comes from broccoli.
This is an excellent method to increase your children’s vegetable intake without them realizing it., or for those who are looking for an easy and healthy alternative to regular ice cream.
Where Did I First Try Broccoli Ice Cream?
I first tried broccoli ice cream a few years ago when I was visiting my aunt in California. She had made it as an alternative to regular ice cream, and I was immediately intrigued. After tasting it, I knew that this would be something that I wanted to make at home! So, when I returned home, I set out to learn how to make it.
After doing some research, I tried a few recipes and eventually found one that was creamy, sweet and, most importantly, delicious. Now it is one of my favorite summer treats!
This ice cream tastes like a combination of banana, sweet dates and chocolate chips with just the right hint of broccoli. It is also dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan-friendly, making it an easy treat to make for friends and family gatherings.
You can also checkout the following dessert Recipe :
- Cornbread Recipe by Brenda Gantt
- Ice cream recipe with protein by Greg Doucette
- Recipe for Cake Pops without Frosting
Banana: 1/2 of a frozen banana is essential for this recipe. It helps to create a creamy texture and adds natural sweetness.
Broccoli: You can use either riced broccoli for a smoother texture or finely chopped broccoli for added crunch.
Ripe Medjool dates: The dates add a touch of sweetness and help bind the ingredients together. If you don’t have dates, you can use any other type of natural sweetener such as maple syrup or honey.
Milk of choice: This will depend on your dietary needs. You can use dairy, almond, soy or oat milk.
Cocoa powder: We like to use Dutch-process cocoa powder for a richer flavor but regular cocoa powder works as well.
Nuts: You can use any type of nut you like, such as almonds or cashews.
Berries: For added flavor and nutrition, feel free to add some frozen berries of choice. We like to use raspberries or blueberries.
Combine the frozen bananas and riced or finely chopped broccoli in a food processor. Pulse until combined, but still slightly chunky.
Add the dates, berries of choice, milk, cocoa powder, and nuts to the mixture. Process again until creamy and smooth.
Scoop the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2-3 hours, stirring once halfway through the freezing process to evenly freeze the ice cream.
Allow the ice cream to thaw for 10 minutes before serving.
Here are some cooking tips to help you make the perfect broccoli ice cream:
• Make sure your bananas are frozen before starting this recipe. This will give you a smoother texture.
• Process the ingredients until combined but still slightly chunky for added texture.
• Stir the mixture once during the freezing process to evenly freeze it.
• Allow the ice cream to thaw for 10 minutes before serving. This will make it easier to scoop and enjoy!
• If you want a sweeter flavor, add an extra tablespoon of cocoa powder or dates.
• You can also use other fruits like strawberries or mangoes in place of berries.
What Ingredients Can I Replace or Substitute While Making It?
If you don’t have all the ingredients or if you’re looking for a healthier alternative, there are several substitutions that can be made.
• For a dairy-free option, replace the milk with coconut cream or almond milk.
• To make it vegan-friendly, use maple syrup instead of honey or dates.
• To make the recipe nut-free, use sunflower seed butter instead of nut butter.
• For a sugar-free option, you can omit the sweetener altogether or replace it with stevia.
• If you don’t have frozen bananas, you can use fresh bananas and freeze them for at least 4 hours.
Broccoli Ice Cream Recipe
- Food processor
- Freezer-safe container
- 1-2 frozen bananas, peel removed
- 1 cup broccoli, riced or very finely chopped
- 2-3 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup of frozen berries of choice
- 4 oz. cold milk of choice (dairy, almond, soy, oat)
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (we like Dutch-process)
- A handful for almonds or cashews
- Combine the frozen bananas and riced or finely chopped broccoli in a food processor. Pulse until combined, but still slightly chunky.
- Add the dates, berries of choice, milk, cocoa powder, and nuts to the mixture. Process again until creamy and smooth.
- Scoop the ice cream mixture into a freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2-3 hours, stirring once halfway through the freezing process to evenly freeze the ice cream.
- Allow the ice cream to thaw for 10 minutes before serving.
This ice cream is a great way to get your daily servings of vegetables while also enjoying an indulgent treat. Each serving contains:
• Calories: 160 kcal
• Protein: 5 g
• Fat: 8 g
• Carbs: 23 g
• Fiber: 4 g
• Sugar: 14 g
How to Store Leftover Broccoli ice cream?
Leftover broccoli ice cream can be stored in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. It will last for up to one week in the freezer. Be sure to label the container with a date so you know when it was made.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, this ice cream is safe for pregnant women as long as all ingredients are pasteurized. Indeed, broccoli is a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber that can help support the health of both mother and baby.
Can I make this ice cream without an ice cream maker?
Yes, you can make this recipe without an ice cream maker. Simply place the prepared ingredients into a shallow container and freeze for 2-3 hours until desired consistency is achieved. Be sure to stir the mixture every 30 minutes while it’s freezing.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in the freezer. Be sure to label the container with a date so you know when it was made. It will last for up to one week.
Can I use other fruits in this recipe?
Yes, you can use other types of fruits, such as strawberries or mangoes instead of berries. Be sure to adjust the sweetener according to your taste preference.
Making homemade broccoli ice cream is a fun and delicious way to get your daily servings of vegetables. With just a few ingredients, you can create an indulgent treat that’s perfect for any occasion.
Feel free to add other fruits or nuts for added flavor and nutrition. And don’t forget to store it properly in the freezer so you can enjoy it for up to one week.
If you like this recipe, please share it with your family and friends! Thank you for your time.