Last Updated on November 24, 2023
Cielito lindo is a traditional Mexican dish that originated in Puerto Rico. It consists of Veggies, sour cream, and different types of cheese. The combination of all those unique ingredients add a flavor experience that cannot be replicated.
Cielito lindo has a strong flavor, with a cheese and tangy taste from the tomato and sour cream, as well as the creamy texture of the cream cheese. The cheese adds a nice additional flavor and helps to bring all of the components together for an unforgettable experience.
In this article, I’ve shared the cielito lindo recipe with step by step instructions. You’ll learn how to prepare the dish, what ingredients are necessary for its preparation, and what types of toppings or accompaniments you can add to it. So if you’re looking for an easy-to-make Mexican dish, try cielito lindo today!
Table of Contents
What is Cielito lindo?
This dish is a traditional Mexican dish that consists of a creamy solution of sour cream and different types of cheeses. The name “cielito lindo” means “beautiful heaven” in Spanish and it is often served as an appetizer or even main dish. The texture of sour cream combined with the veggies and cheese makes this dish a favorite among Mexican cuisine lovers.
What does it taste like?
It is a delicious combination of flavors and textures. The crunchy beans and lettuce provide a nice contrast to the sour cream, while the veggies and cheese add layers of flavor and texture. The salsa mix also contributes to a unique taste experience that will please any crowd.
How did I first get introduced to the Cielito lindo?
I first encountered cielito lindo when I was visiting my friend in Mexico. She prepared it for me as an appetizer, and I instantly fell in love with the flavors of this unique dish.
I asked her how she prepared it, and she taught me the basics of the recipe. Since then, I’ve been making this dish regularly at home and have even added a few ingredients of my own to give it an extra special touch.
You can also checkout the following appetizer Recipe :
How to make Cielito lindo?
Making a Cielito Lindo is easy and doesn’t require many ingredients. The traditional Mexican dish consists of a few common ingredients with veggies, sour cream, and cheese. To make the perfect Cielito lindo, all you need are the following ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 (8 ozs each) containers of cream cheese
- 2cans (16 oz) of Traditional Refried Beans
- 4- 6 cups of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 4- 6 cups of finely shredded cheddar and mozzarella
- 28 oz medium salsa
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cream cheese until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared dish.
Heat refried beans in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until warmed through. Spread the beans over the cream cheese mixture.
Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Pour salsa evenly over the top of the dish.
Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot with tortilla chips or warm corn tortillas.
• Use any type of cheese you like, such as Monterey jack, pepper jack, queso fresco, or a combination of several cheeses.
• If you don’t have refried beans on hand, canned black beans work well too.
• Feel free to adjust the amount of salsa and cheese used in the recipe, depending on your preference.
Cielito Lindo Recipe
- baking sheet
- 2 chopped tomatoes juicy and vibrant, lending a burst of color and refreshing taste to the overall combination.
- 14 oz of medium salsa packing a punch of zesty and tangy flavors, balancing the creaminess of the other ingredients and adding a delightful kick.
- 1 can 16 oz of Traditional Refried Beans, providing a hearty and flavorful base for the dish, adding depth and satisfying texture.
- 1/4 cup of tangy and velvety sour cream perfect for adding a creamy and tangy element to the dish.
- 2-3 cups of finely shredded cheddar and mozzarella creating a melty and gooey blanket of cheese that adds a savory and indulgent touch.
- 1 8 oz container of smooth and luscious cream cheese, creating a rich and velvety sauce that blends beautifully with other ingredients.
- 2-3 cups of crisp and refreshing iceberg lettuce chopped into bite-sized pieces, adding a fresh and crunchy element to the dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream and cream cheese until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Heat refried beans in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until warmed through. Spread the beans over the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Pour salsa evenly over the top of the dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot with tortilla chips or warm corn tortillas.
• Calories: 429 kcal
• Carbohydrates: 38 g
• Protein: 21 g
• Fat: 23 g
• Saturated Fat: 12 g
• Cholesterol: 57 mg
• Sodium: 1077 mg
• Potassium: 886 mg
• Fiber: 13 g
• Sugar: 8 g
• Vitamin A: 2525 IU
• Vitamin C: 12.3 mg
• Calcium: 456 mg
• Iron: 4.1 mg
What to serve with a Cielito lindo?
Cielito lindo is best served with tortilla chips, warm corn tortillas, or other Mexican-inspired dishes such as rice and beans, guacamole, salsa and quesadillas. For added crunch and flavor, try topping the dish with pickled jalapenos or fresh cilantro.
How to store leftover Cielito lindo?
Leftover Cielito lindo can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat, place in a 350°F (177°C) oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Can pregnant women eat this?
Yes, as long as all the ingredients are cooked and prepared properly, Cielito lindo is safe for pregnant women to eat. It is always important to practice food safety when cooking for pregnant women and other vulnerable populations.
Can the ingredients be substituted?
Yes, feel free to substitute any of the ingredients with your favorite ones.
What type of cheese should be used in Cielito lindo?
Any type of cheese can be used such as Monterey jack, pepper jack, queso fresco, or a combination of several kinds of cheese.
Can the Cielito lindo be made ahead of time?
Yes, the dish can be assembled up to one day in advance and then baked when ready to serve.
Is Cielito lindo vegan friendly?
No, Cielito lindo is not vegan-friendly as it contains dairy products such as sour cream and cream cheese.
Thanks for reading this guide on cielito lindo recipe and all the amazing tips that go along with it! This Mexican dish is sure to be a hit at your next gathering, no matter the occasion.
With its simple ingredients and easy preparation, you’ll be able to whip up this classic in no time. Don’t forget to add your own twist by adding extra toppings or using different types of cheese.
So give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious flavors of cielito lindo!
Also, please share this recipe with friends and family, so they can enjoy this delicious dish too!
Sharing is caring!
You Might Also Like These Recipes!
- Southern Belle Recipe for Loaded Tea
- Recipe for Cracker Barrel Turnip Greens
- The Best Mexican White Trash Recipe
- Subway crab salad
Dr. Leah Alexander, M.D., is a board-certified Pediatrician in New Jersey and has been working at Elizabeth Pediatric Group of New Jersey since 2000.
She also has a passion for culinary arts that extends beyond the medical realm. After completing culinary school at the French Culinary Institute, she started Global Palate, LLC, a catering firm, in 2007. She ran her own six-year-old catering company and served small group parties as an owner and executive chef.